Costs and Culture near London UK

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
mrEkli

Costs and Culture near London UK

Postby mrEkli » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey CDN friends,

I may have upcoming opportunities for work in the London region in the UK, what are your views if you live in that area? How much do people tend to spend on things? Cost of Living? What would I need to know? Thanks for your help!
andygeers

Re: Costs and Culture near London UK

Postby andygeers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:31 pm

If you *do* come and stay in London, make sure you pop round and say hi! And definitely come along to church with us.

It's a fantastic city to live in in lots of ways - loads of culture / history / things to do / eat. It can also be quite a lonely city if you don't know many people, because it's so huge and anonymous - so getting stuck into a good church community to support you is really important.

I imagine you will find it quite expensive - though I don't know exactly what the comparison is. But a decent meal out could easily cost you 15 GBP - and you can ask Google what that translates to for you (mind you, McDonalds is probably about 4 GBP, which is obviously a lot less!). In my experience, a *cheap* rent would probably be of the order of 360 GBP per month - but that can vary massively based on which area of London you're in, and if you share with lots of other people you could get something cheaper (but realistically you'll probably pay more than that - cheapest I ever paid was 450 per month and that was through my church)

Hope that's vaguely helpful! Generally I love London, and think it's great! You just need to make sure you can actually afford to survive!
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 pm

And there are cheap flights to rest of europe thourhg Ryanair at least. UK seems to be the highest actually. But if I want to go to germany, I can get there from Finland for 40 Euros if i book month-two in advance.

To UK however, it tends to be 100 Euros. Rest of the Europe tend to be closer to germanys price than UKs price, as long as flight is ordered 1-2 months in advance.

But basically I guess by preparing for that about 100 euros (I think that higher price is based upon UK Airport prices, not flight cost), you could check rest of the europe too with weekend trips or something.
mrEkli

Postby mrEkli » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Sorry about the late response. Thanks for answering you guys. The job was offering too low of a salary so I couldn't take it. Especially considering all the prices and such of living, as you have mentioned additionally the cost of relocating... I'll have to maybe save more if another opportunity to work appears. I'll definitely want to meet up sometime if I do end up in the UK, Andy!