PLEASE HELP! Blasphemy in my game!? What would you do?

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
bfogerty

PLEASE HELP! Blasphemy in my game!? What would you do?

Postby bfogerty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Guys, I am not fan of blasphemy in games. I recently bought an Xbox 360. I purchased Bourne for it. Great game EXCEPT for the repreated blasphemy throughout the game. I was upset after I bought the game because the rating said "Teen: Mild Language". Yet the bad guys and some of the good guys repeatly drop the "g** d**n it" over and over again. Now in the past when I bought games that had that horrible phrase, I threw the game away. However I am coming to realize that most of the fun action games use this phrase. In the old testament, if someone had said this, they would have gotten the death penalty and would have been most likely stoned to death. Yet today our ESRB ratings consider it "Mild Language" .... Personally it should be considered "Offensive Strong Language .... that would have gotten the game developers the death penalty during Biblical times..."

I know that I should rent games before purchasing them. That would probably be the best bet. How do my Christian brothers and sisters deal with this? Do you think it is ok with GOD for us to be playing such games? I am feel like I am throwing money away literally when I buy a game, get half way through it and hear the "gd it".

How do you guys feel about this issue and what do you think I should do?

PLEASE pray for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- Brandon Fogerty
http://www.brandonfogerty.com

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds."
(Exodus 3:14; John 8:58-59)
David Lancaster

Re: PLEASE HELP! Blasphemy in my game!? What would you do?

Postby David Lancaster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:08 pm

It seems you're in a lot of anxiety and worry about this. Do you know why?
bfogerty

Postby bfogerty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm

I feel like I am sinning or dissappointing GOD when playing a game that blasphemes His holy name. Ireally want to keep playing this game but I can't justify it when I hear God's name being blasphemed.
-- Brandon Fogerty
http://www.brandonfogerty.com

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds."
(Exodus 3:14; John 8:58-59)
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Aren't there some boxes you can get that filter out bad language for television?

*checked* Maybe not... they seem to operate on captioning.

Brandon, I'm sorry to hear about it. You know, maybe you can make a mod that get's rid of this junk. Maybe that's why it's bothering you.

I just prayed for you.

Maybe just turn the volume off?
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 pm

bfogerty wrote:I feel like I am sinning or dissappointing GOD when playing a game that blasphemes His holy name. Ireally want to keep playing this game but I can't justify it when I hear God's name being blasphemed.

I would not play it if it makes you stumble.

Either

Volume down
Destroy it
Ebay it

But don't stumble.
David Lancaster

Postby David Lancaster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 pm

bfogerty wrote:I feel like I am sinning or dissappointing GOD when playing a game that blasphemes His holy name. I really want to keep playing this game but I can't justify it when I hear God's name being blasphemed.

I do apologise if these questions are personal. Just curious. Are you afraid of sinning or disappointing God? I could be wrong, it seems you're worrying a lot about it, confused about it, (you may not be, just what I'm assuming from reading text). The first thought that comes to mind is that the level of worry about something like this wouldn't be there if there wasn't a fear involved.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:26 pm

http://www.ccgr.org

loop up reviews on some of the games.

But, I don't consider that blasphemy. Another topic, for another time, though.
Q.E.D.
Nehemius

Postby Nehemius » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm not certain on what the answer is with this. But I really can relate to you, as I've had the same feelings of "Am I offending God by playing this?". It has also caused me excessive stress to the point where I've given up on some game's unless God gives me the green light later.

In life, we are surrounded by those using God's name in vain, at least from my experience. And personally, it stings me too every time I hear it said... but we can't throw away those people around us. But how much is it that we personally identify with the games we are playing? I'm not totally sure where I'm going with this, but...

Don't beat yourself up. God isn't looking to hit you with a stick in these situations. If anything, God will use it to teach you something about his heart, either one way or the other. But if there's something I've been learning, its that trying to rationalize everything with the brain can bring huge stress to a heavy thinker... a level of faith will have to be placed where you're at... if that makes any sense at all... I hope it does.
kenman

Postby kenman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:02 am

You obviously have a concern. Listen to the small voice.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:49 am

Take over the economic system force everybody to play my clean games.... then whoever wants to make their own games has to make it clean.

But really, it sounds like you're freaking out, worrying won't get rid of the words in the game, so I would suggest stop worrying, and pray. I'm SUCH a hypocrite.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:28 am

A little too late, but check out the site Arch mentioned (http://www.ccgr.org). The reviews will say what type of language is in a game. Or, if the review is not listed, you can usually ask about it on the forums. If there is a review and you find it misses some of this stuff, please let the staff know, or just PM me as I am part of the Administrative staff.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 am

I feel your pain, I cringe everytime I hear Jesus' name in vain (GD still kinda affects me, but it's Jesus' name by which we are saved and identify ourselves with). That's what happened to me, I borrowed my friend's game Splinter Cell, and I loved it, but the only thing stopping me from buying it is a few times they said Jesus' name in vain.

But, have you seen the Bourne movies? I know they had said God's name in vain in a few areas throughout all 3 movies.

Anyways for a current solution, is there a way you can trade the game in? I don't think you'll get all of your money back, but at least some. Though I believe it's up to you if you think it's such a problem where you must get rid of the game. Sometimes what I do when I am in a situation like this (say you kept the game), is I read God's word before I play a game or watch a show to actively put God first.
Nehemius

Postby Nehemius » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Mene-Mene wrote:...worrying won't get rid of the words in the game, so I would suggest stop worrying, and pray. I'm SUCH a hypocrite.

Me too Mene-Mene... me too. *sigh*
Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:31 pm

If it was a PC game you might be able to dig into the resource folders and find the sound to replace it. You could also download demo of a PC game to see if the game had offensive content as well as seeing if audio resources were easy to modify. I haven't used xBox so I'm not sure if there's an easy way to dig into files with it. If not, maybe try PC games next time?
Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Let me put it this way, Brandon.

You have a job, as I recall.
So you're out in public.

When you are out in public, you will hear people cuss.
And swear.
Constantly.

And there's nothing in the Bible that says we should hide in the closet to avoid that.

How is this any different, mate?
Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Lazarus wrote:When you are out in public, you will hear people cuss.

Yeah, an offline filter would be great. Maybe train some type of small animal to jump up and hold onto a person's face when they hear a word, which would either stop or muffle the problem. Monkeys would be perfect for the job but they are pretty scarce, squirrels would be good for widespread use if they are capable of differentiating the words.
ChickenSoup

Postby ChickenSoup » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Curry wrote:
Lazarus wrote:When you are out in public, you will hear people cuss.

Yeah, an offline filter would be great. Maybe train some type of small animal to jump up and hold onto a person's face when they hear a word, which would either stop or muffle the problem. Monkeys would be perfect for the job but they are pretty scarce, squirrels would be good for widespread use if they are capable of differentiating the words.

Or you could just slay them all with a CARE BEAR STARE!!!

[/xkcd fan]
If grammar is for squares...

...call me a cube.
bwoogie

Postby bwoogie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:39 pm

If you touch a hot stove and it hurts you, are you going to touch it again?
D-SIPL

Postby D-SIPL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:20 am

Lazarus wrote:Let me put it this way, Brandon.

You have a job, as I recall.
So you're out in public.

When you are out in public, you will hear people cuss.
And swear.
Constantly.

And there's nothing in the Bible that says we should hide in the closet to avoid that.

How is this any different, mate?

You cant control what goes on outside, but I certainly wouldn't let someone come into my house and start cussing and blaspheming.
jari

Postby jari » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 am

Yeah others seem to have same concern as you do brandon. What Jesus' words speaks to me about the protection against such are these: Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Because all the junk in this world would soon sunk us in unless we were not given the Holy spirit to protect from it. And we must be fed from the word of God.
That will give us enough protection agaisnt such blashemies that satan would love to use to defile your mind.

Best to keep away from such "entertainment" of course but God's word fresh in mind and Jesus first in your heart, brother!