lets start this off right...

Lend your skills and get involved in a CDN community game!

Moderator: samw3

launcher

lets start this off right...

Postby launcher » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm

what happens is the coders get ahold of things, the project is in there hands, everyone waiting around to do something, and in the end nothing happens. this approach has been tried twice with no good outcomes.

i still firmly believe that it should be a project of several smaller games... which prolong the story of the characters, fleshes everything out, have many basic parts down like theme music, character likenesses, and a back ground established, then proceed to make the bigger game.

the story should be shaped by the majority of people in the project. so that the story direction and theme most people agree on. once the confines are all laid out and agreed upon people work within them confines. for example lets say there is a sampson like character, and someone makes a mario type game side project. would prove to be very intresting and funny. then maybe someone takes the opposing side and makes a tower defense game, to stop the invaders. some one makes an rpg, another does a strategy.

one thing we dont have is lots of money or media catching ability. however if we start a general story and have many different game types it wont be a stand alone game but part of a group of games, storys, songs and other things. your characters instead of being random and new, have meaning, possibly a very deep story behind them, a better deeper explenation of the surroundings and motives of characters. and the ability to take them characters and put them in different settings and places. you may play with a character when there 20, and end up playing with them again when there 70. starting to play them as a solidier then play with them as a king or general. switching from fps, to rts.

the problem is making to narrow of a story, or killing all the bad guys to quickly, and leaving none behind. or writing the world as to confined restricting other game possobilities.
SSquared

Re: lets start this off right...

Postby SSquared » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I guess I don't understand why coders hold up everything. Why can't story, artwork, models, music, etc. be implemented with or without any coders?

A few attempts back, a member and I both coded up some of our portions. I was by no menas done, but I had laid the initial foundation to allow others to begin working on game screens. He was working on input and dialog interfaces, I think. To me, it didnt really matter what the story or graphics would look like for me to create the game engine we wanted. The code is still checked in to SVN should we continue down this same approach, but I suspect we may go a new direction as that was a few years ago.

I still stand by the stance that to get it done you need a very committed leader who is willing to do it all himself/herself no matter if people join or not. You need to have someone 100% committed to the project. That is why Bible Dave was finished.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
mikale

Postby mikale » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Just throwing my opinion here about the community project in general. I've had experience working with both team efforts and working independently (with either myself or just one close friend who is a programmer. I've NEVER finished a game by working on a community project, or with a mixed team of professionals who don't have time to contribute and n00bs who just don't know what they are doing.

If you want to make games then you can start by learning and doing it yourself, and go from there.
launcher

Postby launcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 pm

when the coders go off and do there thing, the project is outlined without a story, it takes the fun out of it when you need to make a story for a game engine. and often need to force fit things in the story to fit the game engine, which is messy, and shuts the creative process down.