Community game: Some info plus how can you participate in it

Lend your skills and get involved in a CDN community game!

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Community game: Some info plus how can you participate in it

Postby bugala » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:49 am

If i correctly understood, Voting is now closed and my suggestion (Turn based tower defence game with RPG elements) became chosen.

As my first timetable aim is to get this game release at CGDC, I will try to get things started fast. Since even if we get things started fast, it might still be too little time (3 months) to get this done, but lets at least aim for it anyway.

What I would first like to know is if there are people interested in what things.

At least following positions come to my mind as something that people could do, as long as there are people:

(I will explain director position at bottom)

Graphics:

- In-game graphics (characters, backround graphics, buildings, special fx, user interface)
- story animations (similarly backgrounds, characters...)
- Titlescreen type of things.

And in addition to these:
- Graphics director, and if there are more than one who wants to try graphics directing, then this can be divided into more, for example into IN-game graphics director and Animation graphics director. We figure more subdividing if there are people wanting.

Writing:
- Ideas
- Story writing
- Writing some scene (as example, inbetween level animation)
- Writing some lines (for example just the talks between some characters)
- Storyboard version of some animation (graphical presentation of how animation should go, this is halfway from graphics and writing)

Sound:
- FX
- FX Director
- Voice Acting
- Voice Acting Director
- Music
- Music Director

Miscellaneous:
- Level design
- Play testing

What does director of something mean and do?

I will give couple of examples what director might do.

Graphics director receives one of the enemies pictures that artist x sent him. He looks at it and decides it would be perfect as one of the level 1 enemies, except there are couple of changes needed. So he tells artis x that he needs that enemy to not look so tough. Change the sword to knife, change hes colors into brighter ones instead of the current dark ones, put some smile on his face and reduce his size by 10 percent.

Sound director might decide that he wants explosion to sound longer and more massive.

Music director might decide that the guitar in current trach doesnt quite fitr on level, and asks to replace it with violin instead. In addition to that, he likes the background drum, but wants it to come out louder, as now you can barely see it.

Voice acting director might point out that hes vision is that the replic should be said more angry, with faster pace and by keeping little stop between two "and" words.

These kinds of things would be what directors would do. They dont themselves necessary do any graphics, sound, music or voice acting.

You could somewhat think them as critics who have power to change things the way they would want them to be.

My vision is that as many people as possible could try any positions they want, as far as its realistic.

Ideas i suppose everyone will be throwing along the way. But for the rest of the stuff, start thinking already if you would like to particiapte at some point in this project to one of the positions. I am especialy hoping some directors to come to this, as this is finally a chance for those who for one reason or other dont necessarily want to do so much themselves, than rather guide the end result. So this is finally a chance for these kind of people to get some experience on it.

I am going to write two other topics right away about this too.
brandav

Re: Community game: Some info plus how can you participate i

Postby brandav » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:14 am

Hey bugala, how's the game going so far? Is there anything I can do to help?

It seems like the community game turned into a one-man project, which launcher actually predicted. Maybe we can pm some people to see if they want to participate?

I know you were reading Holy War, and we were going to base the game off this story. I haven't personally read the book, but I found a summary online that everyone involved could use to develop the game's story and scenes. (Holy War summary)

I can help with project organization, graphics (if no one else will), and story.

I think we should make the simplest, high-quality game as possible.

First, though, we need people.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Ah, thanks from that summary. Seems I am going to be saving a lot of time on that, as i meant to make sumary of the book for others.

Currently projects been stuck mainly because I havent been able to finish that book yet. I have maybe 30 pages left and they are going real real slow. Second reason it is slowing down, which also have affected teh reading have been the lack of enthusiasm from people. If there had been great enthusiasm, im pretty sure I would have also read the book much faster.

anyway. Now that you showed your interest, I will make time to finish that book and then write some summary from design point of view so the game level storyline can be put in place and we can move forward to graphics etc.

Its been long time since I updated the code since it is quite much in place where it makes more sense to first know what its going to look like etc. before making it forward or I would due to lack of my skills, be doing things twice.

Anyway, that summary is going to be very helpful as reminder for myself too, as i read the beginning of the book more than half a year ago, its strarting to be blurry what happened and where.

I have been underlining all the characters etc. from that book which i intend to write here as well, so we could use those characters in game.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh, and what comes to launchers summary. It is only partially right. I was actualyl hoping someone else to come up with the story as well as reading the book.

I originally thought HanClinto did a great favor when he introduced Holy War, since we would have story there already, only need to implement it, but boy, i never thought reading a book would be that hard. The language is bit hard to me since im not native english speaker, and there are lot of words i dont even understand what they mean.

Also, I originally hoped someone else had read the book and thought i just read it to be aware of things better, but as no one else did, I have as far as i know, reading it alone.

So yes, launcher prediction did happen, but not the way he showed it, since I didnt by purpose take story and and all in muy own hands, but there were no other hands to take them, plus i thought reading that book had been much easier, or i would have tried to find someone else to read it.
brandav

Postby brandav » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Glad the summary helped. It's tough to get things done when people lose enthusiasm. I think the best way to keep people from losing enthusiasm is to have each person know specifically what they need to do.

Yea, I agree launcher's prediction was only partially accurate, because I think we can finish this game if we find people to do specific parts of the project.

Is there anything I can do while you're finishing the book and completing the game level storyline? I can start some threads and contact people directly who might want to help out.
Arianwyn

Postby Arianwyn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:26 am

Since I am new to the forum, can you explain how this works? I literally have zero experience and little skill in game design, so I don't know if I'd be any help, but I feel really bad that there aren't many people volunteering... but then again there aren't that many people on the forum in general.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:09 pm

@Arianwyn.

The idea with Community project is that any forum member that wishes to participate in it, regardless of their level of experience, can participate in it. And hopefully in area they themselves like to take a try or improve themselves.

For example, If you would like to try design, you could design some characters (or in this games case - units) or perhaps make level or two for the game. Or if you would like to take a little try on graphics, but not too much of it, you could maybe draw just one or two units for the game.

I am not yet sure how the graphics will be implemented in the end, since I hope that anyone can take a try and design even just one unit if they like, and still end to the game, despite if it looks good or not in the end, as long as he made it to best of his skills. But that naturally brings the problem of messy look. Originally Brownboot said he would be willing to take position of some light version of art directing, and if he is still willing to do that, I trust he will give some instructions on how to make at least somewhat similar looking drawings, despite many different artists and skills. After i get the book read (continued reading it today encouraged by bdmccowans interest) I will contact brownboot to see if he is still willing to participate in this.

@bdmccowan

Right now things are bit stuck on getting storyline done. Like it is hard to make any graphics before it is decided what way to go with the game. It is also hard to design levels, before I summarise the book giving chance for people to think about what kind of levels there could be. etc.

Especailyl about graphics I see two very different approaches storywise. 1. We can take the approach of using units like archers, swordmen etc. exactly like the book is talking. But, then there is also another option, for basically John Bunyans book is using modern weapons of its time and then spritualising them. like there is Golden Sling on mount worship attacking the Mansoul when Diabolus is in rule. These kind of things could as well be put as Golden Artillery on mount worship.

Similarly modern weapons could be used and make them work allegorically instead of books medieval weaponry. And naturally wether units are machine gun units or sword units, makes the graphics look pretty different.

Anyway, right now there arent much of those "fun" things to do. However, depending what you want to do, for example one of the things that i was thinking that if someone would like to practice some game marketing, we could actually have a launch for this game. If you are interested in something like this, then you could already start finidng emails to suitable places that could for example review this game, places like christcenteredgamer.com and even suitable non christian game places. And you could of course give a thought on how to make the game launch in advance. Like should there be trailer of the game released at some point etc.

But that is naturally based upon wether you are interested in doing so or not. I am just throwing here options so that people could think if they want to give a try on something. besides, even if you are not interested in doing a marketing campaign, but would like to get some little touch to it, you could maybe contact just 2 potential sites and try to get them interested in reviewing the game when it is released. That would anyway give you already some experience for possible future release of your own commercial game.

So those kind of things you can do at this point, but the more concrete things regarding the game itself are quite much stuck on first making more concrete decision regarding the game.
brandav

Postby brandav » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Yea I think we should get the game story nailed down before we worry too much about the graphics.

I'm not sure we should be marketing for the launch of the game until we have enough people to ensure we can make the game.

Return to “Community Game”