Community Game: Lets get started - The Graphics part.

Lend your skills and get involved in a CDN community game!

Moderator: samw3

achild

Re: Community Game: Lets get started - The Graphics part.

Postby achild » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 am

http://blog.christiandevs.com/?p=1283

Posted a blog entry (on here in fact) highlighting the last 2 weeks of development. Not as fast as I hoped, but my hopes were unrealistic haha. Still fast though! Getting very close!!
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Maybe you can design some soldiers from these images that I found online:

I hope these help!
Last edited by EternityStar on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Behold way yonder, the Eternity Star!"
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Can you post these again. It seems middle part of the URLs are missing.
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Actually, you can click the URLs to open the pictures. Otherwise, right-click the URLs and click Open in New Tab or Open in New Window to open the pictures.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 am

Strange. Now it works fine. First time i tried they didnt work. perhaps i had something wrong with my browser.

Anyway, now that i saw them. That would be the RPGMaker kind of graphics. Not sure what the official name is, as RPG Maker for suer wasnt the first one to use them. Manga something i guess.

Graphics like that could make it quite clear looking game.

But main question is, what does people who are intending to make graphics for this think about it? Do they want to make graphics like this, or something else?

Any comments especially from those who think will contribute some graphics to this?
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:39 pm

To answer your question, you have earlier requested for Isometric and 8-bit/16-bit manga rpg styled graphics. I just want to contribute a "working concept" for character design and how to make isometric sprites correctly. I'm actually learning pixel art and I hope that I may also contribute to the game!
Last edited by EternityStar on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 pm

TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Pixel art is something everyone can try. Not that people can't try modeling...etc (and I would find it quicker to make those bean characters in 3D than to draw them...animating a sprite takes forever) but its more daunting.

I usually stick to coding, but more and more I'm finding I can do art if I put the time into it. Its generally enjoyable too, though far more tedious than coding.

Oh...and thanks for posting those tutorials EternityStar...I skimmed through them and learned allot. Only wish there were more.
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Hey gang,

bugala and I chatted on the IRC earlier today and we had a graphics brainstorm. Here are a few things we decided:

1. We didn't want to use the bean guys, it was too much like veggie tales.
2. We wanted to do a pixel art style because the art is easy to produce.
3. We didn't want to hand draw any animation, that takes too long.
4. We liked this as an inspiration piece: Some Prototype Art by Dan Cook

With that in mind I suggested we stick to characters that were a single simple shape, with a hat, and a weapon. These would be animated using achild's Basis tool so there would be no hand drawing and we can reuse one set of animations for every character. This lets us have warriors with axes, swords, clubs, etc all attacking with the same attack animation just by changing out the weapon sprite.

We both liked the idea of egg characters as our simple shape. So here is a quick test I did to gauge everyone's reactions:

Feel free to edit this and make up your own variations or try a completely new style (this is 400% enlarged so if you shrink it to 25% it'll be 1:1 pixel size).
--

achild

Postby achild » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 pm

Oh sweet. I just happened to click on this link... I'll get the latest updates to Basis uploaded in a bit. Loving the look of the character art!

@Bugala - What are you using? Hollywood still?
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Here is another helpful pixel art site:
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big- ... tutorials/
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 pm

@Achild.

Yes, Im still using Hollywood, but since there seem to be some interest towards programming, theres a possibility of changing the language right now.
b-o

Postby b-o » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 pm

So this is supposed to be the 'holy war' story with eggs? Why eggs? Hopefully there will be no rabbits in the game.
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 pm

@b-o
Then you will HATE Overgrowth!
b-o

Postby b-o » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 pm

Why? Does "overgrowth" have eggs decorated for easter too? Some of those eggs above look kind of like easter eggs, and the presence of rabbits would just reinforce it.
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:03 am

Last edited by EternityStar on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:09 am

The thought of using eggs was based upon brownboots suggestions.

As durrently there havent been shown much dedication to the game, including graphics part, hence Brownboot suggested using something that is easy to make. A box or Ball, and from there he thought about Eggs. That basically, if necessary, you can make all the characters from even just two, or three parts. Egg plus weapon, or egg + hat + weapon. This way, even someone with limited skills can create all the graphics and somewhat fast.

And my thought in addition was, that since we are using Basis for all the character stuff, the graphics are in that sense independent from code. And in case there is low level of activity in graphics part, we can then first create just simple eggs, and if there is interest, then they can one by one be made more complex and hence improve the graphics.

Basically I would perhaps prefer realistic graphics due to the story, but with activity shown so far, we better stick to simplest possible.

Eggs also gave another funny possibility if there is enough interest. For we can make so called violent, and non violent version as you have seen in some other games. Meaning that in non violent version eggs for example flash white and disappear when hit and die, but in violent version eggs can be cut half and yellow egg stuff spilled out. Which would still be not that violent but more of fun version of violent version of games.

So the thought of using eggs wasnt so much of "Oh, absolutely, Holy war should have right from beginning have been done with eggs" than it was a practical solution.

But if there are people willing to commit to graphics etc. They dont have to be eggs. They are just the current thought of making sure it gets done.

edit:
good point that easter egg thing by the way, didnt even think of it.
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 pm

How about these type of graphics?
Although, I think that these graphics are orthogonal. But, I do think that they go well with the "Holy War" theme.
b-o

Postby b-o » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

What I'd like to know is how many and of what type of graphics will be needed. If you don't need that many graphics, then it wouldn't be a big deal to make them a bit more complicated. If you could make a list of all of the characters and decorations that need sprites, how many of them can be recolors of existing sprites due to a similar appearance, as well as how many of what kinds of tilesets, backgrounds, menus, and UI will be needed, then there will be a better idea of how much work will need to go into it, which can be weighed against how many people will be involved.
muadib

Postby muadib » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Good question b-o. I've been working behind the scenes since the speed game finished with Bugala and some others. Bugala is working on a GDD and I hope we can come out with specifics like that after we get that figured out.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8

Return to “Community Game”