Community Game: Lets get started - The Story

Lend your skills and get involved in a CDN community game!

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Community Game: Lets get started - The Story

Postby bugala » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:20 am

This thread will be owned at throwing ideas.

As I am aiming for that CGDC release three months later already, I will try to move forward somewhat quick on this part.

Throw ideas what this game will be about.

You can find some previous comments and ideas from this thead:
http://talk.christiandevs.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4601

So far there have been mainly two ideas:

- Launchers idea about defending the pearly gates of heaven.
- Ph0N37Ic5s idea of defending your heart.

Are there any more ideas or do we just pick from these two (both are great ideas in my opinion)?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Re: Community Game: Lets get started - The Story

Postby HanClinto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm

If one wanted to make it about defending ones' heart, there is a nice story / epic poem by John Bunyan (author of Pilgrim's Progress) called "The Holy War: The Battle for Mansoul"

There is a good summary on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_War

The full title is actually:

"The Holy War Made by Shaddai upon Diabolus for the Regaining of the Metropolis of the World or the Losing and Taking Again of the Town of Mansoul"

But that's a mouthful. :)

Anyways, if we wanted to use an existing theme, I think this classic Christian-based story could perhaps give a neat theme for the game.

The full text is available on Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/395

And also on Christian Classics Ethereal Library:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/holy_war.html

And a rather nice audio version on Librivox:
http://librivox.org/holy-war-by-john-bunyan/

Just an idea -- don't feel obligated to use it.
""

._Image
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:10 pm

One thing that might be cool is to play a tower defense game from both sides -- one from the side of the attacker, and the next from the side of the defender. Plants vs. Zombies does this with the normal game (where you play as the plants) and the "I, Zombie" minigame (where you play as the zombies).

So just listening to the MP3 and thinking about how it might be game-ified.

Chapter 1: The murder of Captain Resistance

Diabolus disguised himself and approached Ear Gate. He speaks first and attacks the law of their King, calling his laws unreasonable and untolerable, and not all what they appear to be. He calls them slaves and in bondage, and tells them to throw off the chains and be free. He disguises his lies and sends them through their defenses. Through all of this, they shot Captain Resistance with an arrow.

Gameplay:
Disguise your words appropriately (choose the correct units, and perhaps choose their paths) and use them to systematically avoid and tear down the defenses of the town. Once your archers get close enough, they can attack Captain Resistance directly, and after he is destroyed, expose the town to further attack.
""

._Image
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 am

@HanClinto

I have to say that at first looks this looks like excellent idea to be using as a basis on a game.

I havent read the book (more than the beginning moment ago), but if i rightly understood it starts from evil side attacking goods and then goods attacking evil again.

As I would like to have experience and levels gained in this game that would go one way or other from round to round, this would give couple of interesting possiblilities.

For example you would need to be careful how you boost your men.

For you start with evil side and while you boost your men and it is easier to beat the follwing levels, then suddenly thing turns around.

For now you are the good side defending against the evil side. And those guys attacking from the evil side - Theyre the guys you just boosted to level X!

Ah darned!

I think that would be interesting twist to the game.

Anyway. There is one worry i have about this theme however. For will it restrain storytellers participation when they cant come up with something completely of their own?

But then on the other hand, they havent jumped in yet anyway.

I hope couple of comments come about this theme but if nothing else comes, then unless there is something in that book that prevents it from being used as a game, I think we pick this one.

For not only would this give good basis for a game with solid story etc. but it ould also bring some new readers to John Bunyan and in addition we could even put an ad about Pilgrims progress - game to maybe help christian game get some more sales.

For it would be quite natural in this one "Did you like this game based upon John Bunyans book? Then you should check out Pilgrims Progress game as well, which is also based upon John Bunyans book".
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 pm

I like the Bunyan idea. Sticking with a classic story may appeal to more people as well as introduce more people to the classic literature. I saw some of the art used in a 1685 edition of the book here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1685-FIRST-EDIT ... 0532755434

It looks medieval with castles and such. Perhaps some of the original art can be found online and incorporated into splash screens? Not sure about the copyrights on old stuff like that though.
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 am

Great story option. I'll give it a listen today while I'm making my wife's anniversary present and try to get a couple sketches in.
--

bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 am

As it seems everyone agrees on Bunyan story being great idea and as it will take time for people to read the book Lets just now decide that game is going to be based upon Holy War.

If someone disagrees, he better comment quick if he still wishes to change the course.

But for now. Lets pursue Holy war as the background story.

If you dont want to read the whole book, you could maybe pick some random chapter and put your opinion about it to this thread on how to make it into a game (level) similarly to HanClintos earlier comment.

And everyone reading the book (and even if you are not), keep putting your comments to this thread on how to make this into a turn based (probably tower-defence) game.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am

Got first chapter read now, and heres one way to put it into tower defence game.

IN book it mentions that Captain Resistance was only "man of war" in town. But came to my mind that it would still work if Captain Resistances men have gone out of town to forbidden valley to look if grass is greener there.

And this would be the situation at start of level 1. Diabolus and hes men would be taking advantage of Captain Resistances men being out of town and Diabolus would go in town alone and talk to townspeople.

At same time Diaboluses men would be outside of townsgate guarding that Captain Resistances men wouldnt get back to town.

Tower defence attack waves would come from returning Captain Resistances men, who must not be allwoed to reach Ear Gate, or they will set up Alarm.

Threfore Captain Resistances men will keep coming, and your Diabolus men would keep slaying them.

At same time you would need to try to guide single archer near ear gate to shoot captain resistance while avoiding catpain resistances men along the way.

This could be that the archer has only 1 energy and is dead by any hit and can move only 1 tile per turn.

If player can succesfully prevent Captain restistances men reaching ear gate for 20 turns and can sneak archer near ear gate, then level 1 would be complete by sneak shooting Captain Resistance.

There is also possiblity that even if one of captain restistances men would reach the Ear Gate the game wouldnt end, but they would alarm captain resistance and make the level much harder to complete as sneak shooting captain resistance wouldnt be option anymore but you would need to kill him in battle.

Thats what comes to my mind by quick thought after reading chapter 1.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:18 am

I read chapter 2.

Depedning how the rest of the book goes, but this chapter wont become Tower Defence without taking some liberties.

There is no actual fighting in this chapter, It just mostly keeps telling the changes Diabolus makes in Mansoul.

Defacing of Shaddais statues by Mr. No-Truth and Changing Major to Lord Lustings and Recorder (the consience) to Forget-Good.

Appointings:

"officers, governors, and magistrates. And these are the names of the chief of them: Mr. Incredulity, Mr. Haughty, Mr. Swearing, Mr. Whoring, Mr. Hard-Heart, Mr. Pitiless, Mr. Fury, Mr. No-Truth, Mr. Stand-to-Lies, Mr. False-Peace, Mr. Drunkenness, Mr. Cheating, Mr. Atheism-thirteen in all. Mr. Incredulity is the eldest, and Mr. Atheism the youngest of the company. "

Built three building:

"Hold of Defiance, because it was made to command the whole town, and to keep it from the knowledge of its ancient King. The second he called Midnight Hold, because it was built on purpose to keep Mansoul from the true knowledge of itself. The third was called Sweet-Sin Hold, because by that he fortified Mansoul against all desires of good."

Hold of Defiance governor appointed was Spite-God
governor of Midnight Hold was one Love-no-Light
the governor of the hold called Sweet-Sin Hold was one whose name was Love-Flesh

"that he should keep watch by day and by night at all the gates of the town, especially Ear-gate and Eye-gate; ‘for I hear of a design,’ quoth he, ‘a design to make us all traitors, and that Mansoul must be reduced to its first bondage again."

And then it mentions about how Diabolus prepares agasint Shaddais possible attack and how Diabolus keeps couple of (lying) speeches to people of Mansoul too long to copy-paste in here.

But in the end it mentons how Arms (weaponry) are given to townsfolk:

"‘1. My helmet, otherwise called an head-piece, is hope of doing well at last, what lives soever you live. This is that which they had who said, that they should have peace, though they walked in the wickedness of their heart, to add drunkenness to thirst. A piece of approved armour this is, and whoever has it, and can hold it, so long no arrow, dart, sword, or shield can hurt him. This, therefore, keep on, and thou wilt keep off many a blow, my Mansoul.

‘2. My breastplate is a breastplate of iron. I had it forged in mine own country, and all my soldiers are armed therewith. In plain language, it is a hard heart, a heart as hard as iron, and as much past feeling as a stone; the which if you get and keep, neither mercy shall win you, nor judgment fright you. This, therefore, is a piece of armour most necessary for all to put on that hate Shaddai, and that would fight against him under my banner.

‘3. My sword is a tongue that is set on fire of hell, and that can bend itself to speak evil of Shaddai, his Son, his ways, and people. Use this; it has been tried a thousand times twice told. Whoever hath it, keeps it, and makes that use of it as I would have him, can never be conquered by mine enemy.

‘4. My shield is unbelief, or calling into question the truth of the word, or all the sayings that speak of the judgment that Shaddai has appointed for wicked men. Use this shield: many attempts he has made upon it, and sometimes, it is true, it has been bruised; but they that have writ of the wars of Emmanuel against my servants, have testified that he could do no mighty work there because of their unbelief. Now, to handle this weapon of mine aright, it is not to believe things because they are true, of what sort or by whomsoever asserted. If he speaks of judgment, care not for it; if he speaks of mercy, care not for it; if he promises, if he swears that he would do to Mansoul, if it turns, no hurt, but good, regard not what is said, question the truth of all, for it is to wield the shield of unbelief aright, and as my servants ought and do; and he that cloth otherwise loves me not, nor do I count him but an enemy to me.

‘5. Another part or piece,‘said Diabolus, ‘of mine excellent armour is a dumb and prayerless spirit, a spirit that scorns to cry for mercy: wherefore be you, my Mansoul, sure that you make use of this. What! cry for quarter! Never do that, if you would be mine. I know you are stout men, and am sure that I have clad you with that which is armour of proof. Wherefore, to cry to Shaddai for mercy, let that be far from you. Besides all this, I have a maul, firebrands, arrows, and death, all good hand-weapons, and such as will do execution.’

To make it into a game, Two plans come to my mind.

The Arms part is obvious. Those shields and weapons can be somehow obtained to Diabolus side (a shop to buy them between levels?)

first plan is to use these buildings and other mentioned at beginning as bonuses that you can obtain.

For example it could be so that there is always normal and hard version of each level. If you complete either one, you get one star from each. If you complete them perfectly (ie. first level captain resistance not alarmed but sneak shot dead) you get another star. Or maybe even complete level in certain amount of turns.

Anyway, these stars could then be used between level to buy bonuses. And these bonuses could be like "Build Hold of Defiance - 2 percent bonus on attacks against.." or "appoint mister Atheism as governor - +5 defence for Shield of Unbelief".

Another way that comes to my mind is to take liberty from the story and make the conquering of town expand more than just one level.

First level being the chapter 1 and after that coming levels where there are fights to for example destroy statues of Shaddai. These could work so that there are buildings that keep producing more attackers each turn, and in order to complete the level, you need to destroy these buildings so that no more defenders come attacking you.

Those are my thoughts now from chapter 2
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:29 am

If we do every chapter as its own minigame it'll be too much stuff. The core of the action is; the four captains (and then also emmanuel) taking the city, the defense against satan, emmanuel saves the city again. All of this works under the same set of mechanics for tower defense and reverse tower defense.
--

bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm

I agree on trying to avoid making too many levels.

I am thinking of something between 10 - 20 actual levels and in addition to these can be for example hard modes from each level.

I have only started reading chapter 3, but there seems to be clear idea on how to put into game as it seems to be telling about Shaddai sending 4 generals with 10 000 troops each to attack Mansoul.

Currently it would seem that Chapter 1 and 3 can be made into battles and chapter 2 could be made into bonuses between levels, things like buying better armors and buildings to improve your troops in battle.

And my current idea is that there wouldnt be minigames, but all levels would be tower defence types.

There might be possiblity for adding levels that are based upon preselected start. Like you would have one man with 1 HP that needs to be protected from enemy attacks, and then there would be certain amount of enemy and ally troops in predefined places.

That is possiblity, but my AIs propably wouldnt be very clever. Basically you would just decide that they attack closest, or attack that target or something similar simple.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am

brownboot wrote:If we do every chapter as its own minigame it'll be too much stuff. The core of the action is; the four captains (and then also emmanuel) taking the city, the defense against satan, emmanuel saves the city again. All of this works under the same set of mechanics for tower defense and reverse tower defense.

Well said -- I like this. A lot.
""

._Image
b-o

Postby b-o » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 am

I noticed something in Chapter 1:

", it was best that his lordship should assume the body of some of those creatures that they of the town had dominion over; ‘for,’ quoth he, ‘these are not only familiar to them, but, being under them, they will never imagine that an attempt should by them be made upon the town; ... so it was determined that the giant Diabolus should assume the dragon, for that he was in those days as familiar with the town of Mansoul as now is the bird with the boy"

So dragons are common to the town and diabolus comes disguised as something common. I don't picture some sort of standard dangerous beast with wings, but something more like cattle since dominion is over them. The picture in the 1st edition book showed something looking sort of like a person, so maybe inhuman slaves of some sort. Perhaps dragons frequently come into the town with some sort of provision, so the tower defense system might try to allow dragons to enter the town to affect a resource system for purchasing towers or whatever, and the bad guys can use an option to disguise units as those resources? Or should dragons just be like critters that congregate in the town which serve some purpose?
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Very good notice b-o, i was wondering couple of times why Diabolus disguised himself as a dragon and had completely missed the explanation here.
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Thats a good point b-o. I don't think Chapter 1 should be playable. Diabolus and his council specifically agree not to attack Mansoul but to trick the town into being let in, which is an essential detail in terms of the overall plot.

Also, the librivox audiobook is public domain. It could easily be cut-up and repurposed as cutscene narration.

I'll hold off on gameplay specifics until I finish the last bit of the book.
--

bugala

Postby bugala » Tue May 14, 2013 12:41 pm

I just today received John Bunyans Holy War from Amazon.co.uk.

There were several versions of that book available and not knowing any better, I just picked the cheapest one:

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Holy-War-John-Bunyan/dp/160386458X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368560061&sr=8-1&keywords=john+bunyan+holy+war
]http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Holy-War-John-Bunyan/dp/160386458X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368560061&sr=8-1&keywords=john+bunyan+holy+war
[/url]

Good thing is that its size is quite nice actually. I thought it would be pocket book size, but actually it is more of a comic book size.

Another good thing is that the language is much more clear than the one ive been reading on internet.

However, it is missing all the pictures, and there is one big flaw compared to Internet version, it has no Chapters. It is just continuous text that looks like one big paragraph of 150 pages of text, making it bit hard read in that sense.

Anyway. If you rather read in Book format than from internet, then even with its flaws I think it was a good bought when price was only 3.99 pounds (thats roughly 5 USD) for new one.

But if you do plan to buy one, I recommend you buy some other version in hope it has chapters. For that missing chapters is quite bad thing in my opinion, otherwise its quite acceptable for learninig about community game purpose.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 am

This is my summary of Holy War with some additional comments community game wise.

I have underlined text in the book so that i have underlined names of all the characters and their descriptions when available. If we decide to make the game in such a way, I will write all those names and descriptions here at later point.

What I at some point mentioned was that I personally think something like 10 levels would be good amount of levels so it wouldnt be too short nor too long. However, the story itself doesnt naturally give 10 levels, and more than half a book is hard to describe with our current game system, hence we need to be bit creative on how to fix up enough levels etc.

Story of the book goes about following:

1. Diabolus plots a plan to conguer mansoul by going himself to talk to Eargate (towns gates are Ear-gate, Eye-gate, Feel-gate, Nose-gate and Mouth-gate) and when captain resistance (the only man of war in town) comes to look whats all the noise about, hell be assassinated. After that it is easy for Diabolus to conguer the town by force.

2. Diabolus conguers the town of Mansoul and replaces people in power with his own people and certain things happen there. First of all previous mayor, the Lord Innocence dies when Diaboluses men enter the town. He also replaces current Town Recorder Mr. Conscience, with his own alternative. However, being afraid of townsfolk, Diabolus dares not kill Mr. Conscience, but instead builds a prison specifically made for Mr. Conscience so no one could hear him.

3. Mansoulians start appealing for Shaddai to come and help them, into which Shaddai replies and finally comes. They actually first send letter of appeal through the hands of Mr. Good-Deeds, but Shaddai refuses that one, after that goes mr. Wet Eyes with the letter of appeal at which point Shaddai decides to come for rescue.

4. Next couple of chapters are telling about how Shaddais army come to siege the town of mansoul. Shaddai sends Trumpeters couple of times to try to get Mansoul to surrender themselves but Diabolus counters this by putting all the deaf men to guard the gates etc. Lots of description about how Shaddai tries to convince town of mansoul to surrender, also descriptions about some of the attacks and weaponry. Like having Golden Slings on top of Mount Grace to shoot towards the town of Mansoul.

5. Shaddai finally gets the town of mansoul and decides to even start living there by request of mansoulians, everyone is happy etc. Lots of Diabolonians are being trialed and executed.

6. Diabolus makews another plan to get Mansoul back ti him. This time he uses some Diabolonians still inside mansoul to get people to both do just a couple of sins and to forget Shaddai. In the end Shaddai even moves away from the town without town people even noticing it until afterwards.

7. At this point Diabolus starts attacking against the town to conguer it again and then Mansoulians wake up and go for resistance, but problem is that even the Captains of Salvation left to town to guard mansoul cant do much, since they have all become weak from sickness because their health is bind to mansoulians and when mansoulians have been sinning, Shaddais soldiers have become sick and weak. In the end Diabolus conguers town back, but this time Mansoulians are not happy about it and they fight against him and plead to shaddai repeatedly until Shaddai decides to reply.

8. Shaddai comes again and takes Town of mansoul back for good this time and whole time is very determined to kill every last one of Diabolonians in town.

9. Diabolus still wants mansoul back and makes a big attack against Mansoul, but fails and flees,

10. After which Diabolus goes and gets hes strongest men to make final attack against Mansoul again. This army consists of most strudy doubters of different tribes, like Grace Doubters and election Doubters etc. And this time Shaddai kilsl them all and all the diabolus men are buried to the ground.

- I will continue with commetns bit later, hopefuylly today still. -
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 pm

- Continuing from my previous post -

Gamewise it seems about half of the ten levels come naturally.

First level being the assassination of captain resistance, which is already prototyped in current build.

second level being when Shaddai conguers Mansoul back to himself.

Third naturally Diabolus conquering Mansoul back to him again.

Fourth, Shaddai coming to conguer Mansoul for himself for good.

fifth, attempt by diabolus to get Mansoul back again.

sixth, the final battle where Diabolus does hes final strike against mansoul and fails.

For the rest of the levels some creativity needs to be used.

Couple of possiblities being that

- after the assassination of Captain Resistance, there could come another level where you fight inside the town to conguer it.
- In book Shaddai sent trumpeters and Diabolus avoids townspeople hearing them. Book would give chance for as many as 3 levels where Diabolus would be defending against trumpeter reaching mansoul.
- Shaddai also makes partially unsuccesful attack before succeeding, this could be one level as well.
- When Diabolus conguers mansoul for second time, Shaddais forces garrison themselves into a stronghold inside Mansoul and Diabolus never succeeds in driving these forces out of there, this withdrawal to the castle could be one level as well.

Taking even more liberties, there could be such levels as
- defending the artillery until it gets assembled to the mount Grace.
- As well as could be for example levels where you are defending messengers sending pleads to Shaddai on behalf of Mansoul.

Spiritual storywise Holy Wars idea is that it is allegorically telling the story of how people get saved as well as you could say it is giving some advice of how to keep your own soul (mansoul) safe from Devils (Diabolus) attacks.

For example Diabolus comes to speak at Ear-gate, since that is the place of hearing. Therefore, if Diabolus speaks to your ears, you might hear him.

Similarly all the Diabolonians inside city, as well as attacking have spiritual meanings. There are such persons as Lord Lustings. In Mansoul itself there lives some Diabolonians too who are working udnerground for their Lord Diabolus. These people are people like Mr. No-Truth, Mr. Falsepeace etc.

Sometimes their houses are mentioned, which might be situated in such places like *censored*. Also their parents are sometimes mentioned, which are very cleverly constructed, dont actually remember any example right away, but as created example, Father Mr Fire and Mother Mrs water gave birth to one Mr Steam. Idea being that two things tend to make some sin happen.

Two things that will be hard to get to the ingame, but which would be great to have in it in some form (between levels animation?) are following:

- Diabolus reasoning hes plots, both at beginning as well as when he plots to get the town back. For There are several characters discussing about how to conguer Mansoul. Diabolus, Belsebub etc. and they each speak out a plan, after which they come to conclusion that one plan is much better than the rest, and they explain why other plans werent so good and why that one is supreme. However, these dialogs are very long and need to be shortened.

As example they at beginning think of direct attack, but decide that wouldnt be good since Captain Resistance is still there and would be resisting them, instead showing as a friend would drag them out of guard and then they can kill Captain Resistance, after which they could just practically march inside town.

- Trials that happen after Shaddai have conquered the town for first time. I personally enjoyed most from these trials against known Diabolonians when they try to defend themselves. As example Mr False-peace wouldnt recognise the charges against himself since hes name is not falsepeace, but peace. And then he keeps telling how in difficult times he for any cost tried to keep peace in place regardless what was happening around there etc. telling that he truly is a man of peace, not a falsepeace at all. And similarly mr notruth tries to claim he is truth and in the end when it is found out that he is notruth indeed he apologises and replies that he defended himself the only way he knew in his life, since never had he knew truth so when charges came, he obviously replied to charges the only way he knew in life, which was with no truth.

There were several tens of pages of these trials, so only some would be picked i guess, unless they are put after game ends or something while end text are scrolling (although i doubt there be much text there either).

All in all. now comes time to give soem suggestions again. First of all, how loyal are we to the book?

It seems to me that Bunyan have made in his time a modern war story with modern weaponry and spritualised them. I dont think it would necessarily be very hard to take liberties on weapons and for example change Golden slings to Golden artillery etc.

Therefore that would open couple of possiblities, as example: 1. Make modern version with machine gun, artillery units etc. and perhaps instead of town of mansoul have Mansoul metropolis where even the inside of the city could be rethought that buildings would be changes into modern versions etc. 2. make some simply themed weaponry, ie. rpg fantasy version, 3. Stick to the original, 4. Make weaponry from old ages to modern ages, perhaps starting from crossbows and swords and moving towards tanks and guns. and so on.

Question is, which way would you prefer it?

I guess as long as question is only about weaponry, there should be given heavy weight to opinions of Graphics guys since they will be he ones drawing them wether they prefer drawing swords and crossbows, guns and tanks or both.

Any thoughts anyone, about anything i commented, storywise, gamewise, levels, etc.?

edit: oh, and another thing I think we shoudl discussing is about the graphics. I will perhaps post more about them at some point, but in short, wether they be flat directly from up, like now, or more 3D like for example from side or something.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:13 am

Any thoughts?

Even wether units should be single units (ie. crossbowman, swordman) or group of units in way of for example Heroes of Might And Magic games?

In Holy War book it actualyl does give some numbers of units, like mentioning that there were for example 10 thousand or 40 thousand attackers, in that sense group of units could serve its purpose if wanting to be more close to the book.
brandav

Postby brandav » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:33 pm

I like the idea of trumpeters trying to reach Mansoul. I think they could be good intermediates in between the main battles. So, in these instances, would the player be playing as Diabolus' forces to prevent the trumpeters from getting to Mansoul? We could also do the reverse and defend messengers trying to send pleads to Shaddai on behalf of Mansoul. That should cover the remaining levels.

Maybe we could have the trials as bonus stages which are initially unlocked after the players beat the level where Shaddai conquers Mansoul for the first time. As the player beats levels in the main game, more bonus levels are unlocked. However, if the game takes too long to build, we could just throw this idea out.

Meetings about how to conquer Mansoul could be cutscenes. They can be as complicated as using 3D actors to play out the scene or as simple as displaying their lines on the screen.

I don't think it would be a problem to modernize everything, as long as the main story remains the same.

I think the view could be similar to what we have now, but slightly at an angle, kind of like this:

http://www.macgamestore.com/images_screenshots/kingdom-rush-19851.jpg

imo, groups of units are more epic. I wonder how to depict a group of units though.

Return to “Community Game”