Bible Verse References

Recieve help using these forums.

Moderator: samw3

HanClinto
Site Admin

Bible Verse References

Postby HanClinto » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 am

Hey all,

Was reading an article on baptism, when I noticed that there was a really cool scripture verse tagger in there. Instead of Bible verses showing up just as hard links to Bible Gateway like we've been doing here:
John 3:16

There was a super-cool highlighting tooltip thing:

So I looked into how they were doing that, and it turns out that the tool they were using was created by Logos Bible Software, and it's called Ref Tagger. They were even nice enough to include step-by-step instructions for phpBB, so I added it.

So because of this, I think I'm going to remove the old [esv], [kjv], etc tags, because RefTagger seems to take care of all of that. You don't need to do anything special in your posts -- just list the reference, and RefTagger searches through your post and adds the links and rollovers. I set the default version to be ESV, but if you want to use something else, you can just add the version afterwards. For example:
John 3:16 (KJV)
John 3:16 NIV

Because this doesn't require special markup in your posts, it has the extra advantage that it works on old, un-tagged posts (such as this one).

Everybody cool w/ this?

--clint
""

._Image
ArchAngel

Re: Bible Verse References

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Very cool!
Q.E.D.
christo

Postby christo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Overall I like the new system. Though I did notice an issue. In the old post you referenced the reftagger only seems to work on the un-tagged verses, the ones that are tagged do not work. If this type of thing is going to be put in it might be good to keep backwards compatibility with the tag system(even if it is deprecated) if only to maintain consistency for what will become old posts as the new system is implemented.

Related profile options I think might be good to add:
1.Option to turn off the pop up portion of it if someone finds it annoying.
2.Option to change default translation.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

christo wrote:Overall I like the new system.

Great, thanks for the feedback, Christo and Archangel.

christo wrote:Though I did notice an issue. In the old post you referenced the reftagger only seems to work on the un-tagged verses, the ones that are tagged do not work.

Good catch -- you are exactly right about that.

christo wrote:If this type of thing is going to be put in it might be good to keep backwards compatibility with the tag system(even if it is deprecated) if only to maintain consistency for what will become old posts as the new system is implemented.

Very good suggestion -- I think what I'll do is leave the [kjv], [nasb] and [esv] tags as valid for the time being, but will strip out the Bible Gateway URLs so that RefTagger parses them correctly.

Question: Should something like:

Code: Select all

[niv]Joh n 3:16 [/niv]

parse to:
or to:
John 3:16 (NIV)
?

christo wrote:Related profile options I think might be good to add:
1.Option to turn off the pop up portion of it if someone finds it annoying.
2.Option to change default translation.

Good options -- we'll have to think about how that might be added.

Thanks again for the feedback!

--clint
""

._Image
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 am

It definitely seems great! Like it! But it only seems to work with a single verse. How do you do multiple verses or a full chapter? I am not sure if a full chapter would look very good in the popup.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:13 pm

SSquared wrote:But it only seems to work with a single verse. How do you do multiple verses or a full chapter? I am not sure if a full chapter would look very good in the popup.

Hrm, let's see. Multiple verses work out of the box:
Philippians 2:1-4
Matthew 6:18-19, 25, 27

But for whole chapters, it's not so simple:
Romans 6

Looks like there's a way to do a reference to a whole chapter, but you have to use a slightly special markup. Perhaps that's how I'll change the [esv] [kjv] [niv] [nasb] tags.

--clint
""

._Image
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Ahh, I was using the wrong format. I think I was using a colon instead of a period. Then this looks great! Not sure how often someone might want to post a full chapter.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?