Animation Viewer

Moderator: samw3

popsoftheyear

Animation Viewer

Postby popsoftheyear » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:17 am

So I live in PA and my team mate(s) live in Nevada. We commonly have communication problems, but yet the art from them depends on the programming from here, and vice versa. So we had a problem where the sprite sheets needed to be formatted a certain way (a pretty flexible way... but still had to be consistent), but the understanding of what this needed to be was being lost somewhere - most likely due to my poor ability to communicate with others no matter how much practice I get at messing it up.

So to make a long story short, we now have an official "Animation Viewer" which I'm sure there are a 1000 of. Anyway we had to whip up yet another one... I feel unhappy that a whole night was spent coding this thing (and just as unhappy that I could only spend a night on it... the code is pretty nasty - but it works quite well and there don't appear to be any bugs... yet). On the plus side, this will greatly accelerate our transactions of passing art back and forth, because if you can't get it to play right in the animation viewer, than it won't work very well in the game.

Soooo without further ado, here is a link to it just in case someone else could make use of it. This whole experience has been such a blessing, and it looks to me like God has certainly been in it with everyone involved here at christiandevs.

Anyway I hope this can be useful to someone else!!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dnjayjymee4/AniView01.zip

God bless and good luck to everyone!
Last edited by popsoftheyear on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
popsoftheyear

Re: Animation Viewer

Postby popsoftheyear » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:32 am

And here's the (ugly) source if anyone's interested. It requires at least the august '08 dx9 sdk. Also it only has a visual c++ 9.0 project file, although it should build in other environments (with tweaking... it does take advantage of precompiled headers in visual studio!).

The cool thing about having our own one of these is after a good refactoring and cleanup of the code, the utility can be further added onto if the need arises. Feel free to modify it however you want.

It also uses the HGE 2d library, but that's included in the build (no dll linking - in fact not even a static lib). However I removed some of the unneeded directories like the tools and the binary builds and dlls, so if you're interested in the hge library you'll want to get a fresh copy from hge.relishgames.com. I guess that's about it! See ya.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mg5vybldnjy/AniViewSrc01.zip