Bad Donkey Speedgame Dev Blog

Moderator: samw3

Matthew

Bad Donkey Speedgame Dev Blog

Postby Matthew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:18 am

Jestermax and I teamed up this year. We're going to do a postmortem blog about this project later, but we'd figure a couple of teaser images might be nice :P
Spoiler! :
http://www.bluehourstudios.com/cdnsg201 ... enshot.png[/thumb]
HanClinto
Site Admin

Re: Bad Donkey Speedgame Dev Blog

Postby HanClinto » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 am

CACTUS IS BACK!!!!

...does he have a girlfriend?
""

._Image
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:18 am

Interesting game, I think I found all of the cacti except for the Knight (I looked in the game's files to see which ones I missed).

If I find the Jester cactus, does that mean I've finished the game? Or do I finish it by exploring everything?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 am

Lava, you and all you're free time right now....

Ye'r killin' me, bro. :)
""

._Image
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am

I know, HanClinto. He's like a super speed game makin' guy.
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 pm

So we now have a browser version of the game:
http://myweb.dal.ca/jk747493/BadDonkey

Post-Mor and blog stuff incoming at some point

EDIT: So I didn't test out the browser version and it doesn't work right. Fail.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:17 pm

The compressed game can be found here (I think)
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 am

Wow, just played it and I have to say, transcendental job. This game is the stuff of superstition... No really, I really enjoyed the game. I had some gripes about it, but it felt decently complete. I was going through the portals and I get to another room with more portals and I'm all like, "DUDE this is gonna take forever." The one thing I'm going to mention is that I wish the music looped, it really is a great soundtrack and I'd like to have heard more of it. The humor was great, and the whole game was quite good.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Hmm..

I just tried this out and completed it, and propably found one bug too, for at one point i ended on the other side of the gate being able to fly around on the dark area.

Oh, and another thing, window that was opened, was bigger than could be shown on my minilaptop, but it was not a problem, since i suppose i didnt miss anything, since i saw all the conversation texts and so on anyway. Just big enough to be seen it was too big window, but i dont think i missed anything.

But is it just my laptop, or is this game really this slow?

For i was almost dead bored already when i got to first teleport due to slowness, it cant be that slow really?

Im going to try this on my desktop to see if it is so.

But otherwise i did like the game in way of fun game from someone i kind of know.

If i hadrandomly downloaded it from internet not knowing whos game it was or not knowing it was in game competition or anything, i had been disappointed.

But if some friend of mine would come to show me this game and say "Hey, look what i did", i would think "Hey, thats a pretty neat game you got there!" (as long as it would be faster of course).

For if this in reality is faster, then this is okay 10 minute snack game from someone you at least somewhat know.

Or maybe some bonus level in some bigger game.

Graphics were decent, nothing to complain about them. Fit well to the atmosphere and made game interesting etc. Good job job on that.

Music was very atmospheric, and it was nice you were able to talk to those cactuses, and the cactus theme itsef made it sort of fun.

Also i liked the hovering own guy. This game did have a feel that you were in the between life and death world.

Game was also very nicely balanced.

But one thing i do have to say. I dont really get it where the evrse interpretation or the Christian Message was? Rather the opposite.

Plus i actualy have no clue on what basis you completed the game or were sent back to beginning.

In overall:
Very simple idea, nicely done. Not WOW beater in any way, but something you can be proud of anyway.

Positive experience playing it through (especially if your character had moved faster).
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 am

Mene:
Thanks for your comments :)

Bugala:
Thanks for playing the game and the feedback. That is not a bug. The place on the other side of the gate is Hae'K - a land of darkness and emptiness and woe. The portal you took on the path was supposed to send you there (and not the right path to take). The game will determine if you've successfully escaped Hae'K or not, and if so you see a screen saying such - otherwise you have to start your journey over. Thus the theme of the game - choose your path wisely. :)

As for the performance on your laptop - I think it was your laptop. The game screen is 800x600 and should center itself. It was very slow on my laptop also (low memory), but works quite right on my desktop. The game uses quite a few images and music/sound files, thus needing a decent amount of memory (we suggest 1GB minimum). It is a Java-based engine as well, needing the JRE (it's all there in our ENTRY.TXT file). :)
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:35 am

I tried with my desktop machine which has 2Gb memory (I think 2.4 Ghz machine from about 3 years ago). It was bit faster but it was still too slow.

But i did notice that it slowed down on when more graphics were on screen, so it might just be that even my desktop machine is not up to the task of running it at full speed.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 am

If you're expecting 60+ frames per second, then yeah this game is slow. It isn't designed to be a first person shooter or any other kind of fast-paced game

It should also be noted, this particular engine is a first run...so...it isn't exactly optimized like something compared to Unreal, etc. :P

I'll have to defer to Jestermax on the engine programming specifics, but perhaps there is a way to improve the processing of data. Then again, there might not.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

I dont have problem with the update speed, it was fine even in with my laptop (which was maybe half speed compared to my desktop), but just make your character take larger steps at once.

Triple the steps size and it will be much more enjoyable. maybe even five times the size of a current step.
christo

Postby christo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:39 pm

I tried the game after some issues.(had to copy javaw to the game directory to start it). it was a decent game though it would have been nice if there was some hint about what portals you should take rather than just having to guess til you got it right. Also a little speed boost might have been appreciated.