Souling's Quest -- (HanClinto, Charlie & CrossbladeGames)

Moderator: samw3

HanClinto
Site Admin

Souling's Quest -- (HanClinto, Charlie & CrossbladeGames)

Postby HanClinto » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Here is the launch thread for Souling's Quest!

Play the patched version online!

Or play the original version (crashes at the end of the game)

Enjoy!

Screens:
""

._Image
CrossBladeGames

Re: Souling's Quest -- (HanClinto, Charlie & CrossbladeGames)

Postby CrossBladeGames » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:01 am

Lookin' good!
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am

Nice game! I like the emphasis on thinking-- like what shape to use through the game, as opposed to just skillful platforming. Well done guys!
achild

Postby achild » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 am

That was really fun! Good job yall!
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 pm

Fantastic entry! All around solid!
Q.E.D.
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 pm

I am in awe at how original and how awesome this game is. It would make an excellent candidate to IGF.
achild

Postby achild » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Oh... and the story... it really got me thinking. It's very well made - I'd like to play a few more times just to soak up the story a little more in hopes of meditating on it (obviously in connection directly with scripture)
Charlie

Postby Charlie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 am

Errg! Clint had mentioned that some people were having problems with the final cutscene in the game so I tried it tonight. Apparently version of the music file we dropped in for the last level was the wrong bit rate, and sure enough crashed my browser as well. So, you can beat the game, but you miss a couple of the final pages of text. Oh, well - at least you got to see most of it. Maybe we'll see about putting out a patch version with that fixed.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Several people reported a bug that crashed their browser when completing the last level (18). Turns out that Flash doesn't like playing MP3's with high bitrates. So we lowered the bitrate / quality, and now the ending music no longer crashes peoples' browsers.

We also added in cheat buttons so that people could skip ahead to the later levels if they had beaten the game previously, but just wanted to see the ending. Press keys 1-8 to start on levels 11-18.

There was more that we wanted to fix, but we held ourselves to that. :)

Link to patched version

Cheers!

--clint
""

._Image
Nehemius

Postby Nehemius » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Wow. Very well done.
I'm really enjoying the story bits between levels.
alittlebc

Postby alittlebc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 am

Love it.

It's like a soulful lemmings platformer... nice mechanic.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Wow!

I just completed this game. What a greeat game you guys made there.

It is long, puzzles (=Level Designs) are meaningful, music(s) are nice, graphics are fine and story is excellent.

I was especially impressed by the presentation of Christian message in this one.

this is exactly the way Jesus Did. Jesus used many Farming parables, since farmers were many times listening to him. Now heres game parable for gamers.

When i first saw pictures in forum i was wondering what kind of retarded wanna be voodoo dressed as christian game there is coming, but i was completely wrong. This was absolutely fantastic. never is God or Jesus mentioned in this game, but it is very clear what this parables.

The whole story of putting your life for your friends getting away from selfishness and all the way to getting into heaven in the end was so great.

You are telling basically the whole gospel here (although obviously not the actual way to get saved that only Jesus) as far as it waas possible in this way and what a great way you got it in. tory was interesting and evry teaching and made you think.

You could easily recognise Lemmings behind this game, but this was Lemmings in its very unique way.

It also nicely showed about the flexibility of your Platformer Strater Kit, that not only can you make Jump N Run games, but you can make even games this much different from typical Super Mario Bros 1 games.

I ahve to praise this for being such an excellent Speedgame entry.

But to avoid you getting too proud, I used my shovel to dig deep enough to find at least something to complain!

there was one Bug! Sometiems when you died, new guy kept going left or right and many times resulted in ending to moltening lava.

Screen was also maybe 20 pixels too height. I used my laptop and i couldnt see those couple of pixels unless i switched of one of the toolbars (which i only have the adress putting place/navigation buttons and opened pages toolbar). Not a big deal, but have to complain because this is too perfect a product.

Then there were couple of choices you had made that were upon your taste wether you liked them or not.

Like the unability to scroll beyond your souling. In some levels it worked very well as excitement factor increaser, but then (especially the second last level) it was only adding to the frustration.

Another furstration increaser was the clouds. I really ahted waiting for them when they were going long ways sometimes. I got bored waiting for them, and that is not good.

I think it was maybe third last level where you had to go stares up one at time and use clouds to travle through lava (unless you killed your guy to become blog) and that was real annoying levelbecause of all the waiting and knowing that when i explode this guy, i will again need to wait!

Some levels had more than jsut one way to complete, which was excellent, but more of the levels should have had that. But very good level design for speedgame competition game.

Oh, and small complain about sounds too. That beeping sound started buggering me at some point.

Finished product, with excellent quality, full blown game and all, no technical problems on starting it, works on both laptop and desktop, only problem being that i cant play on fullscreen since its on internet, with several well working background musics, and with fantastically done Christian Message. Well done Men!
Angelboy

Postby Angelboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm

This is probably one of my favorite speedgames of all time!