Vanguard: Post-apocalyptic Car Battler! (ROM12)

Moderator: samw3

samw3
Site Admin

Re: Vanguard: Post-apocalyptic Car Battler! (ROM12)

Postby samw3 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks a bunch guys! Here's the obligatory blog post: http://speedgame.christiandevs.com/?p=239" target="_blank

We had some big issues regarding MP3 playback with our engine over the weekend. With a fair amount of work, and some flip-flopping between targets (flash or java) we were able to switch to OGG format and get things working in java. It was a bit of bummer though because it took all weekend to fix.

Well, at least we’re rolling again. We have the town interface hooked up and Robin has been making strides on the game play.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/357882/Vanguard/town.png[/thumb]
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 am

Couldn't you bring the audio into Audacity as an .mp3 and export it as a .wav or .ogg? That seems a bit easier...
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 am

Wow!

For some reason I have never liked any of your pictures as much as this one. I dont really know what it is in this picture, but while I dont think its the best you have made, I like it the most. I guess it just has a good feeling and gamefeeling in it.

This is actually the first time this year that I am starting to look forward playing to your game, so far I had no feeling towards it, except general curiosity as toward any speedgame plus the pixel extra in your case.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks again guys!

Well I had the game running and we were discussing what the pick-ups should look like and when I came back it looked like this! :D

Rush Hour at ROM12 Studios.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/357882/shots/lots_o_cars.png[/thumb]
washburnello

Postby washburnello » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:59 pm

We have Peoples!

I just finished the face tiles for the various townsfolk you will interact with. Any ideas for names for them?

-John

Many pages make a thick book... except for pocket Bibles, which are printed on very, very, thin paper.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 am

These shots look great. Can't wait to try it out.
Q.E.D.
Lava

Postby Lava » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks great! The faces are an awesome improvement upon the SubMetro graphics.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 am

Hi, a couple tips for running the game. It uses Java, so you'll need it installed if you don't already:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp" target="_blank

Note that you should unzip the game into a folder - the savegame won't get created if you're running it from inside a .zip it seems, and the game might crash if your van is destroyed.

We've had a couple reports that the audio seems kind of glitchy running in Windows - we'll look into this. It sounds great on Mac if you have that option.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 am

We've also had a report (thanks Clint!) that story progress isn't being saved properly. So... just play as much of the game as you can without quitting :)

(We're working on fixing these issues and will release a new build then).
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:32 am

Tip: Ctrl and Shift can also be used for the guns and mines, instead of Z and X.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 am

So I love the car driving mechanics in this game -- and I particularly think it's cool how you can back the van up -- this, combined with the slippery road, lets you do some cool tricks. My favorite trick is a 180 spin that you can use to fire backwards while not losing all that much forward speed. I recorded a short video to demonstrate it:

The first spin (just a demo -- not shooting anything) is around 0:17, and the second spin (where I use it to take out an attacking red car) is around 0:27.

I know one could just use a drop mine and it'd be a lot simpler, but it lacks the Mad Max style of pulling a 180 and firing out the front windshield whilst traveling backwards down the post-apocalyptic highway at 50 miles an hour.

Totally enjoying this game!
""

._Image
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks Clint :) It's great to see somebody enjoying the game!

Okay, here's a bug-fixed update:
http://carbattlers.com/vanguard/vanguard.zip" target="_blank

Main things:

The savegame should now work properly. Unfortunately, the old files were broken, so when the game starts, choose New Game. Trying to load an old savegame will probably crash. By the way, the game auto-saves whenever you enter or leave a city.

The audio bug in Windows should be fixed. We tested it here on a Windows 7 (64-bit) machine, and it's good.

(Of course, the game should still be judged on the original entry, but if you're wanting to play it for fun, play this version)
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 pm

New version works great for me! After calling the PIXL help line I was finally able to find the old computer, and I finished all of the storyline. Very engaging -- you guys have set up for some really cool imagery and analogies here, and I really look forward to seeing how it resolves!!!
""

._Image
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:32 am

Okay, So i have Milla with me and she told me to take her to Gilead where she would be able to check the tape.

Now im in Gilead and... nothing?

What am i supposed to do now, or is this bug?

(my armor was upgraded on revious city)
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:29 am

bugala wrote:What am i supposed to do now, or is this bug?

(my armor was upgraded on revious city)
I think you found the same bug Clint found, and unfortunately the game can't progress beyond that point. So, congrats, you "finished" it :)
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:06 pm

So you mean it will happen everytime even if i start from beginning?
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

bugala wrote:So you mean it will happen everytime even if i start from beginning?
Yes, we were still implementing the story right up to the deadline, and we didn't test it that far.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I mainly played the bug fixed version, so I am mainly going to be reviewing that one, but I will adress some non fixed versions things too, just for feedback.

Had this game been the bug fixed version and completeable, I think this had been a strong candidate for winner.

When i was playing the bug fixzed version and knew about the missing save game feature, I thought I would be complaining about the missing save game feature, but honestly, that sound bug pausing the game everytime any sound (including turning with your own car) plays is so terrible that you wouldnt get as far as to be missing a save game feature.

Brought2life was maybe painfully slow, but this one was torture to play.

But to the bug fixed version.

I like that this really feels like a game in everyway. It doesnt feel like its a christian game, but like its a game.

About everything in this game is at least good.

The storyline starts and its quite clear where you are supposed to head, although it takes a while to figure out how the map and road areas work. But after you figure out the principles, its quite easy to pick up.

Feel of driving was very nice. It reminded me about NES games called Pro-Am movement in positive sense. And as far as my memory would recall, It felt exactly same, although I think Pro Am actually had push forward to accelerate. But anyway, as far as my memory can recall times long ago, it feels exactly as fun as in Pro Am controlling this vehicle.

I also liked (although i also disliked it at same time) that there were hidden stuff beside the roads, Things like secret roads or just stuff lying there beside the road.

I however got deadly scared from boredom point of view right away when i realised that there might be some hidden treasure driving beside the road and that only way to actually find it would be to drive all the places beside the road on all the map places, and driving beside the road was deadbeat slow, boring, and no fun at all.

It was nice that you could choose your road to some extent, that road would go two different directions which both would lead to the destination, and sometimes you ight even find a side road (one of those brown ones) that would actually be a short cut.

AI of enemy cars was suitable too, exactly what you would suppose from a game like this.

It was nice mixture of car game and some light story element of going from town to town and being able to do even some tasks along the way. It was nice there were lot of different characters to interact with. Story line while wasnt the most interesting one was anyway interesting enough that it added to the gameplay fun.

Unfortuantely due to bug in storyline of not being able to actually compete the game, the Christian part was left very much to guessing. So in its current state I have to say it was lousy presentation of Christian content, although in reality it might have been very clever.

There was biblical background of the end times in the game and from your descripiton there had been something on that tape that would have revealed something profound, but since it didnt work that far, i completely missed it and the christian content part was left bit slim.

However, It was very clever idea to put the map as Israel surroundings, or at least i suppose that is some biblical map there, fr i have lack of knowledge on that part to know any better. But what I am after is that this was excellent christian educational idea. For when you keep figuring out how to get to some character in game, you happen to learn that you need to go through gilead to buelah to rome to reach that place, and you suddenly start getting some idea where some biblical places are from each other. So next time I read bible and there is talk about someone going to gilead and from there to beulah, I have some idea about the actual distance and direction.

That is definetily worth one point alone already, and also an idea that you could use to teach biblical things even if the game would otherwise have nothing to do with christianity.

For it is surprising what kind of things you might realise just by knowing the locations and understanding what kind of distances people kept walking on those days.

Before moving to the bad sides, I am taking something half way first. The music.

First of all, understand that I am going to extreme tigthness on this one, because Morgan is Pro. If this quality music had been on any other speedgame, I would just say what a great job on music, but Morgan is Pro, so im going to extreme with her.

So, yeah. The music itself sounded very nice. however, there are two things. First one is that I had never before realised, but seems qualityu music just doesnt work with pixel graphics. I guess I am just automatically wanting somethng more old sounding, Beeps and bleeps, or maybe traditional Amiga sounds. Dont know yet, but I just know that while the music was absolutely pro, it just didnt fi to the game. it didnt sound like it belonged to the game, but it rather soudned more like i was listening to Cd on background that happened to be quite close to the feeling of the game.

Then the other thing. I think you were after wrong feeling. For the feeling of you music in my opinion was one of either Western movie, or just some isolated area where people have moved by CHOICE. I emphasise the word choice by purpose. For this one is apocalyptic setting. While it looks very much like the Wild West, it is very different. People didnt move Apocalyptic surroundings by choice, but things changed and they got stuck there.

Like Mad Max. They are not living in Wild West where they chose to move, but world became completely screwed up and now they are there fighting for survival. So to put it short, while the feeling of your music is quite close to right, it still is wrong.

You made decision about what kind of feeling belongs there, and you achieved it very well, but you figured out wrong feeling.

EDIT: Removed for now, maybe forever. Im going to ask first about this if its proper.

To the actual bad sides of the game.

Map was very confusing for a long time for me. It took me a while to realise it was blinking on the same place all the time. At some point in game i noticed it read "Destination: Rome" so i thought im supposed to go there, when i got there, i realised it will always be reading that way.

Sometimes when you leave city to some direction, say north to rome, you might come out from south? That was very confusing when i was still trying to figure out how the map actually works.

Map was also partly useless, since while it actually did about show how the road goes, it didnt really help much since road might have gone whatever way.

The story was okay, but not really catching. It right away gave me a feeling of, "okay, so im going to this town and then they tell me to go to next town and next town and next town, and thats what the whole game is going to be about" and so far it seems i was pretty much right.

Except with one lousy exception. I have to find old computer. "They tell theres lot of stuff on badlands" wow. Thansk you so much from such a good hint. I only need to search through every place in every map! And while it is sort of nice having a big game, when you have to find needle from haystack, its no fun at all.

Even more annoying was that on one of the towns it hinted "When driving to town x, i saw there something lieing beside the road, but i was too scared to go look it better", obviously i would have thought that was the old computer. BUT IT WASNT!

Tell me about wasted hours and false hints. if i had went there to look for it, I would have liked to strangle you dead after I had came to conclusion its nowhere there. Luckily I decided immediatelly seek help from ROM12 helpline instead, and you are still breathing.

I also noticed that for some reason, even I liked ow to handle the car, I didnt really like driving from town to town. I was actually disliking it quite much, especially when dieing along the way. It was however great that at one point you get upgrade to your armor.

I think the roads to each town are to long. Make them rather harder and shorter. I only want to spurt quickly like having a minigame there and end up to the next city instead of driving for minutes on the road and then in the end die right before i get where im going and start over again (man i hated that, happened several times on some roads in row before i got there).

It was nice by the way that the Rome got destructed at one point. It had made the feeling go up nicely had I not still been feeling pised off from not giving me any hints about the old computers placing, except, "I heard there are some good stuff lying around on earth, Go find that thing Sam!"

The collision detection was annoying. You had drawn the cars in sort of 3D way, yet the collision detection was completely 2D, and not just that, but for example the mines, it was enoug that your pixel was right beside mines pixel to already blow it up? What a retarded thinking!

What is the point in making pixel game if those pixels dont even represent anything real. I dont want mine to blow up just because my lego happens to pass by its lego.

Also the towns people they didnt seem to really react on things happening much. Like the first town your fater tells you to save the tapes. Then I alredy had the old computer and Milla on my car and we were driving to see wahts inside the tape and we went pass the first town "Wuick, get the tapes and save them!" shouts the father still.

And this same happened elsewhere too, that they didnt really update anywhere but kept repeating same things.

Also in rome they talk about this, was it marvin, who should be in gilead. Wait a minute, who the heck is Marvin? I never heard of him before. So i drive to Gilead to see what he has for me and... nothing? That was pretty confusing, plus more importantly, i wasted whole loads of time going there!!! and now i even need to drive back...

Another thing was about carrying stuff around for some price. First of all it was somewaht confusing in sense that i wasnt sure that if i take this stuff, then does that mean i cant carry anything else, possibly evne something improtant to the plot. Or can i just take endless amoutn of tires, mail bags etc. and carry them to their respective scities as i happen to pass by them. It had been nice to somehow inform wether it is safe to pick those stuff without worring wether you have anymore space left or not.

And the prices from carrying this stuff around wasnt worth anything either. Carry this thing there and you get 10 cans of food. wow. I can find 30 cans of food just when driving there.

It had been much funnier if there had been some rudimentary economy system that you could buy say 4 different stuff to your car and then sell them on other cities for hopefully profit. In way of for example Pirates!, that had made it much mroe fun and interesting and seem worth it. Especially if there had been things like bigger car, Roins mentioned Radar etc. on sale for some bigger money taht you could have earned by driving back and forth the towns. This would have also made the replayability of the game much higher.

For right now for me who is not a fan of car games at all, there are actually only very few car games I have ever liked, It felt like i was going to from place a to place b to place c back to place b to place d just after the storyline. And after I had seen how it ended, I would have lost all my interest to the game forever.

Car Ambushes coming sometimes were fun idea too. But I do have to say about those tanks, that I would have liked more if there had been limited amount of tanks and then being even much tougher than now. That you could have actually went on to hunt them down to drive around safely after that. I think that had been fun, although i guess from storyline point of view it might not have worked. For i guess in the end you are saved from tanks. And that wouldnt really work very well if in the end all the rest of the tanks get miraculously destroyed (whatever way it happens, if happens) and you had actually already blown them all to pieces. Well, actually i dont think that would be so much a problem in reality.

Shortly put:
Good pixel graphics, sort of fun car driving, excellently positive pro-am feeling on that controlling of that car, okay storyline, excellent sounds and professional music.

Thing that stroke to me most positive was the idea of using biblical places as basis on that map.

Otherwise the christian message part unfortunately stayed quite slim, except for the story being set to apocalyptic settings. I trust there had been something worthy waiting there later, but I didnt get to see it.

Map system gives lot of confusion for quite long time before you get used to it. It would really help if that white block would follow your progress on the road to where ever you are going. It is also very confusing at start when road goes to two directions to figure out which road to follow (when both are right actually)

Collision detection too picky, I dont like it reacting to mine just by driving just beside it. 2D - 3D looks give bit confusion too.

Enemy AI sufficient. Rewards from tasks too small.

Biggest minus from go look the old computer, it is somewhere on earth (not necessarily above ground).

Storyline feels too much like go to place a, to b, to c, to b, to d...

Although big map and all the hidden roads are a plus, they are also a minus when you dont know where on earth you are supposed to be going, especially since beside the road, the drive is very slow and boring.

I would have preferred having limited amount of tanks, even if theyd be much touigher to destroy.

As last note, I want to point out that first of all please make this finishable, for I want to see how this ends.

Second, Fix it to be completeable, and I think this is already good enough to be Ios/Android game for sale.

Especially if you add that Pirates! kind buy/sell system and make tanks amount fixed, this would be real fun to play on mobiles.

But even as it is (when being completeable), it would already be fun play and good bought on mobile.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention. I very much liked the autosave feature of it saving everytime you exited the town.

And I would have wanted to play this fullscreen. It was big shortcoming on feeling of having to play this on window.