Any gfx artists available to help?

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Any gfx artists available to help?

Postby bugala » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:42 pm

I will propably finally get to programming coupole of days later, so I can still decide what I would do.

I am right now having two different ideas and am pondering which one to do and one of the worries that came to my mind is that if I am going to make that game about J Hudson Taylors life, I would very much like to have at least decent graphics on parts where the life story between levels is being told.

I dont mind if the ingame graphics are simple blocks, but its not fun reading the life story if all the graphics are blocks.

Therefore I am asking if there are any gfx artists who are available to draw pictures. Even if you are able to draw just one picture, that will already help if I can get couple other guys who can make one picture too.

For the pictures I am looking to get are static pictures and ones where you dont need to worry about other graphics, since they stand there alone (unless you have even more time and we can make some little animation). It is not either a problem if different artists style vary, since they are not mixed together.

Any artists possibly having time if i send instructions before weekend on what kind of static image I want you to draw (with lot of artistic freedom)?

If no artists are available, then i guess it might be better I do a puzzle game that i got idea for, or actually remembered an old idea of mine.
JoeJoeZ26

Re: Any gfx artists available to help?

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 pm

hand-drawn or pixel art?
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 am

Either one is fine. As I told. They are basically standalone pictures, so as long as they look good, it doesnt really matter what style they are made.

Supposing im going for the J Hudson Taylor. Right now I am more of thinking making that puzzle game (which i wouldnt mind having help making graphics either) but if someone is interested in making all those maybe 5 pictures, or i get more artists to do those pictures, then I might still go back to J Húdson Taylor.

I will propably start making the game couple of hours later or at latest tomorrow, so I will decide that by then. Although it is of course possible to change course in first day or twos time still.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Since I am running low on time, I am hoping one of the graphics guys could do me some small things.

The most critical is that i have 7 different colored blocks, and I need numbers to be put on those.

In best case you can make numbers from 2, 4 to 9, to all of the blocks, but if you dont want to do that much, then its enough if you put numbers 2, 4 and 5 to at least 4 different colors and then couple of bigger numbers, say 7 and 9 to only one colored blocks.

Basically that is quite quick thing to do, open up graphics program, and just write the number, but I would have difficulty in stretching even to that.

Another thing which isnt that critical, since it would just make the game look ugly if its not fixed is the wall pieces.

You can copy the current wall pieces idea and either make the light start from center and hence only need to make 6 different blocks, or you can make them like they are now, or even use the current ones and make the missing ones from them, which would reguire to have 12 pieces in total, and i think you would only need to make 4 more if im right.

Once again quick task to do, but im trying to maximize my time in coding and making levels and stuff since right now it is quite tight if i get it to become satisfyingly complete game or not.

you can check the pieces from this zip package:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/gfxpieces.zip" target="_blank

blocks are just missing the numbers.

Walpieces problem is that they dont fit together. for my levels can go in any 90 degree and then those shadowings dont always work.

There are at max 12 different possibilities.

two horizontal and vertical (above, below, left and right) possibilities and
8 corner possibilities.

However, if you make the shadow start from middle of the block (size 32 x 32) then you can get half of the pieces away as above and below blocks as well as right and left will both look same, as well as corners would do, despite wether they are outside or inside corners.

Although it is not totally necessary, I would like to keep that line of black on those wall pieces, since they make the walls stand out bit better and make it look more like levelmap walls.

You can PM me with download link to graphics or you can send them to ugalabugala(thesameasalways)ugalabugala.net