SpeedGame 2014: July 1st!

Moderator: samw3

CDNAdmin
Site Admin

SpeedGame 2014: July 1st!

Postby CDNAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Hey everyone! The annual ChristianDevs SpeedGame 2014 is slated to start July 1st!

For those new to ChristianDevs; SpeedGame is a competition where interested community members (such as yourself) build a tiny game within 2 weeks based on a theme or verse.

The last two years we've done themes: Salvation and Testimony, this year the Admin team is thinking of having 3 verses to choose and base your game on!

Have a verse suggestion? Post it!
brandav

Re: SpeedGame 2014: July 1st!

Postby brandav » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Here are some verses I found:

2 Cor. 10:4 - For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;

Matt. 5: 16 - Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Col. 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Eccl. 3:1 - To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
EternityStar

Postby EternityStar » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:13 pm

I have a suggestion:
Matthew 28:20; and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
"Behold way yonder, the Eternity Star!"
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:30 am

Heres some with the idea that perhaps someone is able to figure out something profound about these seemingly unimportant passages:

Rom 16:23 Gaius, my host and the host of the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the treasurer of the city, greets you, and Quartus, a brother.

And plenty of similar around it, like:

Rom 16:22 I, Tertius, who wrote this epistle, greet you in the Lord.

and the classic:

Mat 1:7 Solomon begot Rehoboam, Rehoboam begot Abijah, and Abijah begot Asa.

Heres another one which someone could perhaps find something:

2Ti 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works.
2Ti 4:15 You also must beware of him, for he has greatly resisted our words.
Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi, I would like to take part in this again.
Here are a few more verses to consider

~Psalm 27 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

~Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

~Galatians 5
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

~Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.

~Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

~Luke 21:36 But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

~Proverbs 22:5 Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse; He who guards himself will be far from them.

The Narrow and Wide Gates
~Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

~James 1:3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

These may be too broad for a game though. Maybe some could work
YouTube
He who walks with wise men will be wise,
But the companion of fools will be destroyed. - Prov 13:20
NKJV
muadib

Postby muadib » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Some ideas:
[*] Psalm 1:1-2 ~ Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.
[*] Deuteronomy 6:4 ~ Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
[*] Hosea 6:6 ~ For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Questions:
[*] What are the restrictions on assets we can use in the game?
[*] Can we leverage other games we've done outside this challenge for assets/scripts/game engine?
[*] Must everything be generated within the 2 week period?
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 am

Great choice of verses there Phil!
Phil wrote:Hi, I would like to take part in this again.
Here are a few more verses to consider

~Psalm 27 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

~Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

~Galatians 5
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

~Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.

~Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

~Luke 21:36 But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

~Proverbs 22:5 Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse; He who guards himself will be far from them.

The Narrow and Wide Gates
~Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

~James 1:3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

These may be too broad for a game though. Maybe some could work
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:25 am

Ok, so here are my choice of verses!

Verse Choice 1: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…” -Romans 3:23
Verse Choice 2: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” -John 3:16
Verse Choice 3a: “…Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved…” -Acts 16:31
Verse Choice 3b: "If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." -Romans 10:9

The reason for my choice.
If a christian game has to be based off of three verses, I believe that the game must impact players as much as possible. If our games are targeted at delivering the gospel and planting the seed of the Word in the Hearts of players, then what better way than to deliver the gospel in 3 verses? I like to think of the Roman Road to Salvation, but that is way more than just 3 verses. Romans 3:23 reveals the problem. John 3:16 gives the solution. Acts 16:31 and Romans 10:9 calls you to a specific action. It is entirely up to us the developers to be as creative as possible in the ways we would use such verses. I think that the gospel in 3 verses is a fantastic theme for a SpeedGame. Not only is it the gospel in a nutshell, it can also become a powerful tool to bring people to the feet of Jesus. Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.", and we should all know that this verse clearly applies to all of us. With much prayer and diligence, good luck to all contestants! Blessings!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 am

@dylenbrivera

although I think you bit misunderstood, you accidentally gave interesting idea.

If it goes like in previous years, then the idea with three verses is not that you are trying to tell the gospel with three verses, but that there are three different verses upon which you can base your game upon. You can pick just one of the verses and make a game out of it, or you can use even them all in that game to make your game.

Idea is that if there would only be one verse, then it could happen that someone gets no game idea for that one verse, but having three different verses which to choose from, you can usually figure out some game idea from at least one of theme.

Also the way you interprit the passage to the game is up to you. It could for example be trying to teach the meaninig of that verse, or it could be for example just the game mechanic that is based upon the game. Or maybe it could be even historical game about how that verse came up to be... any way you like. Either very directly, or very ambiguitosly (hope i used right word there, not being native english speaker), or anything between, or even them both.
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm

ahh! Thanks for clarifying @bugala! That makes more sense!
bugala wrote:@dylenbrivera

although I think you bit misunderstood, you accidentally gave interesting idea.

If it goes like in previous years, then the idea with three verses is not that you are trying to tell the gospel with three verses, but that there are three different verses upon which you can base your game upon. You can pick just one of the verses and make a game out of it, or you can use even them all in that game to make your game.

Idea is that if there would only be one verse, then it could happen that someone gets no game idea for that one verse, but having three different verses which to choose from, you can usually figure out some game idea from at least one of theme.

Also the way you interprit the passage to the game is up to you. It could for example be trying to teach the meaninig of that verse, or it could be for example just the game mechanic that is based upon the game. Or maybe it could be even historical game about how that verse came up to be... any way you like. Either very directly, or very ambiguitosly (hope i used right word there, not being native english speaker), or anything between, or even them both.
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:24 pm

So just to make sure...
July 1st -7th will start the week of game planning and the following week, July 8th - 15th, will start game development?
And this time we will have from 3 scriptures to choose from as a basis for our speed game?
Just making sure that I understand correctly...
CDNAdmin
Site Admin

Postby CDNAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 pm

sketche99 wrote:So just to make sure...
July 1st -7th will start the week of game planning and the following week, July 8th - 15th, will start game development?
And this time we will have from 3 scriptures to choose from as a basis for our speed game?
Just making sure that I understand correctly...
We're doing some extra time this year; July 1st we'll announce the verses, then development phase starts July 4th and runs till July 21st, that'll give 3 weekends but also considers national holiday time for people to spend with friends and family.
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks for the email :)

Perfect timing for me.
petrocket

Postby petrocket » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Some suggestions:

Matthew 19:26 - Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Ephesians 6:12 - For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

2 Kings 6:17 - And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 - a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 - Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Ecclesiastes 4:13 - Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to heed a warning.

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I have seen something else under the sun:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:13 am

Gal 6:11 Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.

I see a 3D game there in the latter verse:

Eph 3:17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—

Eph 6:20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Revelation 12:7-9

King James Version (KJV)

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:33 am

Great stuff, I'm just back from my vacation so just in time to enter the speedgame again after I believe 2 years of absence
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:08 am

NKJV: Php 4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
KJV: Php 4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. To the Philippians written from Rome, by Epaphroditus.
kiwee

Postby kiwee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi guys, I am back after two years of not visiting the website. It seems I only visit this website during the SpeedGame :P I feel like joining in the speedgame this year, but since I cannot programme, I have decided that I will try and make a print-and-play board game :D
CDNAdmin
Site Admin

Postby CDNAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 pm

kiwee wrote:Hi guys, I am back after two years of not visiting the website. It seems I only visit this website during the SpeedGame :P I feel like joining in the speedgame this year, but since I cannot programme, I have decided that I will try and make a print-and-play board game :D
theGameCreators and The Engine Company have given all SpeedGame devs FREE copies of AGK Game Kit v1 and Loom Turbo for use of the SpeedGame, AGK Game Kit v1 I believe is a full copy, so you can tinker with it even beyond the SpeedGame if you like, Loom Turbo is a one month subscription, these tools make game development A LOT easier, maybe something to try out! Email admin@christiandevs.com for the links. 8-)

That being said, a print-and-play board game would be an awesome and unique entry for SpeedGame, you should record yourself doing a "how to play" or playthrough. :mrgreen: