Dev Blog | Bugala

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Dev Blog | Bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 am

current progress:

Game is completeable.

Lots of minor bugs (depending how you view them) exist.
Although I did play the game from beginning till the end, due to the nature of the game, that alone isnt very excessive test, but there probably resides plenty of average sized bugs still there somewhere.
One part of the game is not actualyl missing, but you can surely see it wasnt really done.

You loking for a chest, and instead of having this nice maze there, you just open the door, and take the chest, and leave.

If time and strength permits, perhaps I will still make something out of it.

Unfortunately it seems I am not goign to do voice acting for the game, although I was all the time thinking I would. Im just too tired to figure out a voice that I would be happy with.
It might lose a lot from missing the narrators voice.

Last year after speedgame, and for a long time after too, i had a plan of hopefully making a time management kind of game for next years speedgame. I even had a music already picked.

I also had another idea, about a man and a clock, where the clock would represent mans spiritual condition, and it would be dirty by time etc. and somehow the idea had been to make a deal with someone to take care of the clock after the man passes away. For if you would fail on that, then at the end, the clock had been burned in fire outside, but had you succeeded, the new owner or whatever, had took good care of the clock, made it good as new etc.

However, when the time started coming close, I realised I wouldnt have any idea wether i can concentrate to speedgame how much or not, since there are some hopefully good thing about to happen in my life, and i have to stay concentrated on that, hence making dwelling deep into coding bit difficult. And also the chance that i would suddenly need to interrupt it all.

Therefore I was looking forward to some easier solution. As Humblebundle happened to have, not long ago, RPG maker package with extra resources, i grabbed one of those packages and finally gave it a try. It maybe isnt something I am too enthusiastic about, but it seemed like something I could use for my speedgame to get a good speedgame done with relatively little effort. And especially, since its easy to get a game done that is actually finished and complete with it, which i havent been able to manage a single time in speedgames so far.

When Mack told about the Game Creators package offer and Loom offer, i decided to take a peek at the Game Creator package, since i thought it was something like halfway from Gamemaker and programming, but seems it is still a programming language, and even very similar to my choice of language; Hollywood. Hence, if i would pick a coding, i would rather stick with Hollywood, which I am familiar with already than use already scarce time figuring out a new language, despite it being very similar to the one I am already using.

Anyway, when today came and verses were shown, I had decided that Either I figure out something simple and make it with Hollywood, or I can figure out some nice story, and use RPG Maker to make it. For after all, If I am goign to use RPG maker, there isnt that much else to do but figuring out some good story, as trying to make some unique things are much more limited than when using actual programming language to make things.

When i first looked at the given verses it threw me complete blank. Not a single idea crossing my mind. Plus I was feeling disappointed that they had chosen as one of the verses eph 6:12, which felt like very uncreative choice in sense that it was such an obvious a pick, i had hoped something that could actually reveal something new.

But, as it is with Bible. Never underestimate it. For now I have figured out something that I think is quite nice and excellent solution to some of the problems I have been having in RPG Maker, and solution is based upon using the Eph 6:12 as the basis of the game. There you see, never prejudge things before fully examined.

Currently I have pretty much settled to using RPG Maker, thanks to the idea I got based upon that eph6:12, and that idea is such, that it will be both quite easy, as well as quite even natural to include those other two verses in to the game too.

Right now I am pondering mainly on two questions:

1. Wether to make the main character perhaps even Paul himself, or to make some no good thief and a robber character as the main character.

2. Wether to tell you about my plans and progress through a blog, or to keep everything as a secret, which would be quite tempting right now due to some things I would like you to only find out when you play it.

Current story progress is that I basically have the beginning, and the end. But I am missing most of the middle. Plus I have almost no details yet. I am also pondering wether to set it to modern day, Early Church time or perhaps take some liberties with time. For there is one thing I would really like to do, but it is bit hard if it goes somewhere around Early Church time.
Last edited by bugala on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
God at play

Re: Dev Blog | Bugala

Postby God at play » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:07 pm

That clock idea sounds really interesting! I hope you do something with that some day.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 pm

@ God at play

Yes, I have been quite interested in that clock idea myself too, although i still havent been able to figure out how that game would actually play. One of the things I was thinking was that the man would try to clean that clock all the time, but for no use, since you cant wash your sins away yourself. However, reason why i decided to tell that plan was, since I am afraid I will never make it. But, who knows, perhaps there one year comes some perfect Speedgame theme to make it, and then i do it still. I would very much like to see it for real, although i havent figured out how to make that game.

This years speedgame is going forward very nicely.

I have decided to go with the thief character instead of Paul. I also figured out the time setting. It is not set at any specific time, but is sort of in fantasy world.

I have so far been planning to divide the game into 3 main parts. First part is pretty much done in my head (except for the very details, which i will decide when i start building the map with RPG maker).

Middle and third however, are both bit blurry. Especially I am wondering how to make the second part work out gamewise, that what exactly should player do?

On first part, player is supposed to steal 1000 gold or something, and then there will be perhaps 8 characters there from whom you can steal, and you have to steal from 4 of them.

I intend to have the same system on all three parts that you have to do something, and there are more places to do it, than you have to, so that player wouldnt get stuck just because he couldnt figure out how to get something done for the last time still.

About those other two parts i wont discuss much, since i dont want to reveal the plot.

I have already figured out couple of those stealing things on how to steal. But most are still not figured out.

My current thought is, that unlike usual RPGmaker game, there wouldnt be much battles at all. There might not be any random attacks at all like in typical RPG maker there is. However, that i havent decided yet. I might use some random attacks in small areas for one reason or other, like perhaps there could be some sort of training ground with random attacks.

Oh, and as last thing. As i stole from berryijmker the "dev blog" title, i will now also steal his idea of showing current status on my first post. That was good idea from him again.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:17 am

Haha thanks bugala,

I think it is a good choice that you have chosen the thief instead of Paul. With Paul the biblical or christian content is very clear but with a thief it has to be included in an other, probably more interesting way. I'm very curious to see how you will do this :)
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:43 am

so that's why we're using dev blog as the title lol

interested to see how this turns out
achild

Postby achild » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:04 am

Bugala, awesome idea. Look forward to seeing how it pans it. It's funny - we chose to use a ninja main character in our game, and you a thief. This will be an interesting speed game year! Best of luck my friend!
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 am

Well, actually I didnt mean simply a thief. It is just a generally bad man. I was just referring it as a thief since it was easier to describe. A thief and a liar.
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 am

achild wrote:Bugala, awesome idea. Look forward to seeing how it pans it. It's funny - we chose to use a ninja main character in our game, and you a thief. This will be an interesting speed game year! Best of luck my friend!

Yeah, funny.. I'm thinking of using vikings sort of like here: http://talk.christiandevs.com/viewtopic ... 831#p42831

Not sure if this idea might be disqualified for having occult sacrifices referenced though.
achild

Postby achild » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 am

b-o are you gonna start a thread too? It sounds really interesting! Hmm it says it must not use occult practices in the rules... if they are just referenced I would think it's okay after all it's a real thing that sets the environment...
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:17 am

achild wrote:b-o are you gonna start a thread too? It sounds really interesting! Hmm it says it must not use occult practices in the rules... if they are just referenced I would think it's okay after all it's a real thing that sets the environment...
yeah.. I just did.

Bugala, you need to re-record that 'prepare to meet your doom' clip for this game so Mack can put it in the video again.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

Sometimes it is such a strange. b-o commented me something completely unrelated at irc, and while reading his short comment which i dont even remember what it was about, i finally started seeing more natural way of solving my middle part problem, and finally, after thinking about it for whole day, i was today able to figure out about natural way to accomplish what i was wanting for that middle part.

I also took some time to think about the details today. first part is pretty much made in my head design wise. As at first part you are trying to get for example 1000 coins or whatever the target sum will be, i already figured out the different ways that you can do to get them. Now i just need to tomorrow actually implement it.

I also already did a little time in thinking about middle part in more details. Only the last part i havent really given much thought yet. It is still very general in my mind. And although it is basically hardest one to think through, i dont see there any obstacles like i saw in especially the middle part.

I actually thought i first make the first part starting tomorrow, when Macks timer runs to zero first, and after completing the first part I can start thinking better about the third part, since then i can already test out what felt like it would be fund for player to do in that first part and what did not, and then try to figure out more of those fun kind of things for the third part too.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am

Almost forgot to comment to b-o, I am actually thinking of recording some speech this year again. But it depends how much time things take.

My plan is to first make the game, then make the enhancements. As example, if i dont seem to have time, then i just use the standard battle system with standard enemies, weapons etc. that are on RPG maker, which means that strangely, you could suddenly get a fireball spell and similar things that are in RPG maker as default.

But if i have time, i will at least try to either remove spells, or name them as Holy Ghost fire or something like that.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:40 am

I like what I'm reading so far -- very cool stuff!
""

._Image
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:00 pm

My suggestion is to keep the thief still a likable character. A likable character with a weakness, but likable nonetheless. An example is in Toy Story where they wanted to do some character development on Woody, so first they made him nasty so he could become nice, but you can't have a nasty hero. Instead, they made him fantastic and put him into the one situation in which he breaks down.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:19 am

@Mene-mene

a good point that i had myself comlpetely forgot.
muadib

Postby muadib » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Story sounds interesting so far. Can't wait to hear more and play through it.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Well, you do need a fairly likable protagonist, though I'd argue you don't need to tell a story from the protagonist's perspective (but I spose its easier to, especially with the limited time).

Didn't know that about Woody.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Today, was the first day I actually had some time to make the game. Only other time i had a little while was the one hour that i actually took as a headstart partially due to misunderstanding since Macks clock went zero on my browser already before the actual time had started. This was probably because Macks clock probably took timezone from users computer or something.

Anyway, I have had less time to make the game than i thought, and making it had been slower than expected. Not at all good combination, especially since I am afraid i wont be able to do anymore for this game after next friday.

Hence, I am right now bit worried wether I can get anything reasonably nice done or not. I am already cutting down on non essencial things like graphics. But unfortunately, I am also shrinking story to smaller size. But, If there happens to be more time, then i can maybe expand it still at end with more possibilities.

On positive note it appears it was a good choice i didnt start thinking third parts details yet, since after working on first parts details, I ahve now found out that some of the details have been quite a lot of work actually, and hence i better think those third parts details in such a way that i can make them fast and hassle free.

As last thing, due to lack of time, I am also having trouble bug testing my game, and even minor changes seem to trigger one bug or another very easily on RPG maker, hence I am now thinking of possibly asking someone to help me with hunting bugs.

I am not yet sure wether to do so or not, but if someone is interested in playing my game already before the rest, then let him reply to this thread or pm me, and I might, or might not send him the current build of the game.

I am also thinking about possibility that someone with RPG Maker as well would make me better graphics when I am not able to do anything for the game myself.

What I am after with that is that right now I have just simply painted ground with same green grass tile. First of all there would be different kind of grasses there to put, and there would be trees and other stuff. But I am saving time by not putting those at all.

Hence someone could after friday take my game which hopefully is finished by that time, and make graphics bit nicer to look at.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:21 pm

I need a play tester.

As i wont have time to properly test this game myself, I hope to get someone else to do it.

What you need to do, is to simply play my game. At current point, you are not going to be spoilered, as you will play from beginning to the point there now is.

You will just likely have less options and less polished product than final players.

With less options i mean, that at beginning you are looking to get 1 000 coins. Currently you can get 1 250 coins in total. In finished product, i hope you can get 2 000 coins. This means, that if you get stuck, then you are much more stuck than final players who can choose alternative options to reach their 1 000 coins goal.

If you are interested in playtesting, send me pm or reply to this message. At this point I am mainly looking of having only one playtester.
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey Bugala. I'm definitely interested in playing your game. I have quite a lot of time on my hands and I can surely see myself capable of handling this. I would love to be of help!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20