Moderator: samw3

achild

Dev Blog | achild

Postby achild » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 am

Gonna give this a go this year~!

Team
Scott (me) - Programming
Dan - Art

Ninja Illusion will be a fast-paced 2d brawler where nothing exists as you see it. As a newborn Christian ninja on a mission (that's right), you'll find darting across city rooftops, running on walls and ceilings, and battling enemy forces to be a quest quite unlike it first appears...
Last edited by achild on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugala

Re: Dev Blog | achild

Postby bugala » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:21 am

It will be fun to see how Ninja turns out in a christian game :)
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 am

@bugala & achild, yeah very curious how a ninja will be a newborn Christian haha
achild

Postby achild » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 pm

It's been a busy last couple days. We're really only tackling the details of the design document right now. As much as we're very, very eager to start game development, this will be important in order to stay focused and make sure all work we do takes us in the direction of our goal. It's going to be a tricky subject to pull off. The test we have is to see if our wives can review the document and totally be on the same page as us on what the game is and why. :)

It is also the first time either one of us has used Google Docs. Nice! Really awesome stuff! Everyone else has probably already had experience with this but it is so cool to work on something simultaneously with another person, in real time.

Game influences:
  • Dust: An Elysian Tale - The fighting mechanics are nice in here though we probably can't pull off the depth
  • Shank - Very violent game, we're looking more at some of the platforming mechanics here
  • Canabalt - Again the platforming mechanic here. And procedural rooftops. Also, the environmental "story" being told is awesome.
  • Castle crashers - Mostly the art style here...
And a piece of concept art...
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 pm

I really like the concept art and the inspiration list! Nice work!
""

._Image
muadib

Postby muadib » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:54 pm

I like the art too! You're pretty good with a pen.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
achild

Postby achild » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks guys!

Well we spent the weekend finishing the design doc, and fixing a couple issues in Basis (one of which took the better part of a day). To execute our vision it really took some planning. Dan lives about 2 1/2 hours from me but our family stayed at his family's place for the holiday weekend, which helped. Took a break on Sunday. It was Dan's birthday Monday and his friends surprised him with a night out, during which I have been getting acclimated with Unity. It does a lot for you yes, but there is still a learning curve to doing things Unity's way! He said he worked on a bit of art this morning.

Hopefully we will get some things done tonight! We're both very excited, and though our hopes may be too high we will give it a go anyway. If we can pull it off it will be a very great experience. Everyone else's work so far looks amazing! Screenshots of some sort next time, I promise!
achild

Postby achild » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 am

Unity: 47
Us: 1

よし! So we have finally made some progress. Some basic platforming Ninja-Illusion-style without any graphics yet.

ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:31 pm

achild wrote:Unity: 47
Us: 1

よし! So we have finally made some progress. Some basic platforming Ninja-Illusion-style without any graphics yet.

Nice, can't wait to see it with textures.
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
brandav

Postby brandav » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Cool, the sliding up the wall reminds me of super meat boy :D
achild

Postby achild » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

:) Thanks brandav and ExevaloN

The box makes it look like a slide but he will actually be running up the wall - gravity (for the player) shifts to the x axis and everything. I can't wait to see it with textures either ;) The meshes are prepared just waiting on some building pieces!
muadib

Postby muadib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Actually reminds me of Ninja Gaiden. Those were fun games.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
achild

Postby achild » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Okay! Here is Ninja Illusion. It's still pretty incomplete, and we only got Basis skeletal animations to work correctly in Unity in the last hour of the competition, so our friends will only be idling and running lol even when they are really doing other things.

On the plus side now we have all the kinks worked out for a hack n slash game in Unity. The fight between what we wanted in physics and what it wanted to do was many days long and I'm glad to never look back. Also Basis has made it's first steps to supporting Unity first hand. That alone is very exciting.

I literally finished the last code at the last minute to build. Therefore, the endings got messed up (didn't have time to test as they got shoehorned in at 12:55). One you realize there is an alternative ending, you will have to close the web browser and re open the page and play it with what you have learned to get the other ending. (Unfortunately that warning spoiled the secret lol)

Play in your browser:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/333 ... n/Web.html

Controls:
XBOX controller, keyboard, or keys and mouse
- Left and right to move
- z or xbox-button-b to defend
- x or xbox-button-x to attack
- space, up, or xbox-button-a to jump

To wall run you will need any amount of space between you and the wall, then try to wall run. If you are too far away it won't work... you need to be in an upward-right-motion when you hit the wall to wall run. If it were physically possible in real life, that's how it would work too.

Tools:
We used Unity and our own Basis 2d Toolset. Dan made some amazing animations. I am sad they did not make it into the game. While there is still excitement for the game I think we will try to finish it over the next couple weeks (with less tension and urgency and sleeplessness!)

He used Paint Tool Sai mostly I believe for drawing.

Credits:
Story done by Dan Parker and Scott Williams
Dan did all the art
Scott did all the programming
Our families dealt with us the entire time and deserve so much more credit...

The future:
The comics were done at the last minute to complete the story... we had something far more awesome in mind. There are a lot of really nice touches we just simply didn't get to. Not to mention using all his animations (should take a day at most - the AI and states and actions are all there - we just lack the visual representation being in game). I hope you will all check out the completed vision soon in the future! Can't wait to see everyone else's games!
b-o

Postby b-o » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:57 pm

looks nice
brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Good job guys in getting it done within the time period! It was pretty fun to run up the walls once I got a running start. When the ninja flashed red, it also appeared to give him a boost which I used to help run up the wall easier. Nice background of the city at night too. Would like to see the game once the rest of the ninja animations are added in!
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:38 pm

This game is still missing from Macks list of speedgames.
achild

Postby achild » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Oh I see what happened I didn't actually upload to ftp... oops! Ah well it's too late now. Really isn't in a completed state anyhow. But it does look like we're going to continue working on it! Congrats to everyone!!
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15 am

No Achild. Rules were to upload either to FPT or Dropbox, you got it to dropbox in time.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:35 am

Is this game completeable? You mentioned of two different endings, but only ending i got was to run to the other right edge and ninja disappearing from screen and screen getting slightly darker after which i used jump button and it seemed to fall down more, and after that it was simply stuck.
achild

Postby achild » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 am

It can be completed. That must be a bug. We've never run into that I'll look into it after a bit... normally after getting to the end it would show one of them lol. Anyway it doesn't bother me if it didn't get included, though yes you can die, win, etc.