Dev Blog | b-o

Moderator: samw3

b-o

Dev Blog | b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 am

I'd like to make a historical game about Christianity among vikings. I've had this idea a long time ago but never developed it: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3838&p=42831#p42831

When I went to Norway, I found that some locals thought that the history of Christianity among vikings has been distorted in that the histories of the Norwegian Christian kings were written by people who didn't like them and wanted to make them look bad. There are great stories of Christianity triumphing over paganism and putting an end to human sacrifices and such, which still float around slightly different from the written histories. There are also interesting things that almost everyone knows of. If you've been to Norway you're probably familiar with the famous art with armed vikings on ski's smuggling a baby to safety so that he could become a Christian king in Norway. It's so common it's displayed on bread packages in the grocery stores. That is not the only instance of vikings delivering christian babies to safety. I hope to make a speed game out of this sort of concept. Viking baby smugglers for Christ or Christian vikings putting an end to human sacrifice. ...something along those lines. I guess it would be sort of related to Hosea 6:6 in God wanting mercy rather than sacrifice. I realize that it's an entirely different context from the verse in Hosea, but using this viking concept is only inspired by the verse, and not a direct representation of the concept in Hosea.

I don't like programming, so if someone wants to help with that I would rather focus on art. If it's just me making this, then the game play will be pretty basic, maybe something a 3 year old could play.

I'm probably going to use some old public domain art for splash screens and stuff.

Update: here is the game:
Last edited by b-o on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
achild

Re: Dev Blog | b-o

Postby achild » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 pm

It's... not really a stretch from the context. I mean they're not Jews but certainly the vikings are looking to go the opposite way of their people... for their people (hence a new king). It's pretty directly fitting in my opinion.
b-o

Postby b-o » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Day 1:
I'm ending up with some sort of skiing game:
Spoiler! :
Based on this:
Spoiler! :
I animated some wind flapping clothes/hair, left/right turns, a basic tumble, and have a basic engine working with some bugs to fix.

If someone wants to help with programming, let me know, as I'd rather focus on making more animations.
Last edited by b-o on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 am

Hey b-o I might wanna help you out with the programming. I'm guessing I have a lot of time for the speedgame this year so I could give you a few of my days if it isn't to big of a game :) just pm me the details of the game if you are interested.

However, I don't know if is against the rules if I help you with it and also enter with my own speedgame?

And awesome viking btw
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:10 am

I don't see how helping out a brother or sister in achieving something great for the Kingdom would be against the rules. I say help away!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm

First of all, I think in previous years there have been people who have participated in more than just one product, especially if they got their own done already.

I for example asked publically in previous year someone to give me some certain kind of graphics, and sometimes some did, although they participated in others works as well.

I also dont think there is even limit to number of entries you make, you could probably make even three entries and win gold, silver and bronze with them all :)

Considering that one idea of the competition is to get more christian games, i dont think they would try to restrict amount of entries per person to the competition. Plus, all in all, this competitions rules have been having lot of democracy in them that many a time Mack have asked opinion about something publically and made the majority voice as the rule.
b-o

Postby b-o » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:35 pm

day 2:

Made the other character:
Spoiler! :
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:32 pm

This looks fun! Looking forward to more. I hope you find a coder to help you out.

God Bless!

Sam
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 am

I like the vikings. Looking forward to seeing more stuff!
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
b-o

Postby b-o » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 am

Berryijmker is redesigning the engine in construct2. This means i can focus more on graphics.

Day 3:

Made a tree, small jump animation for viking 1, tumble for viking 2.
b-o

Postby b-o » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Final day:

I didn't have as much time as I thought I would have, so I didn't get to make everything I wanted to. Not sure if Berry will be able to complete the coding for this. I appreciate his help so far. There are a few glitches in the display of graphics and particles.

EDIT: I think we fixed most of the glitches...

This is a two player game, try to play both players at once:

Might see if Berry wants to add the code for a combat system, enemies, forest animals, life bar, UI portraits, and an Olympic high jump after the speedgame competition ends.
b-o

Postby b-o » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

I guess I should say that once you reach the town, that's the end of the game. I already maxed out the resources of the free version of construct 2 and couldn't add anything else.

I would like to have added parallax scrolling, combat, enemies, and a high jump, but didn't have enough time either after I took over the coding and bug fixing:Image
Last edited by b-o on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muadib

Postby muadib » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:50 pm

I see the Vikings have clothes :P
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
b-o

Postby b-o » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm

muadib wrote:I see the Vikings have clothes :P

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's cold in Norway. :lol:
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Played your game, and have to say its a real shame the software you used set limits to your final product. It could have been very interesting entry, as it was already very promosing entry what you already had got with the limited resources your software allowed.

I liked how you used those painting pictures to tell the background story at beginning, I also liked the background story, especially since it was historical fact. It was a great attempt at making a game, and I would have really liked to see how it had ended up without those limitations in your software. Although I liked the scrolling text too, there was however one problem, text was going so fast, that i couldnt really concentrate on pictures, or i would have msised the text. Text was also so long, that that kind of scrolling was perhaps not the best possible solution.

The game itself was actually very nice and i liked the while i played, although you were right that it couldnt last any longer than that two minutes, because there wasnt enough stuff there.

You had especially made very good choices with your limited resources by making it two player game. Although there werent maybe much in the game, the two player option gave that game a lot of replayability, and it actually gave replayabillity even to one player game, since you could try control them both at same time, making it extra challenging.

That you couldnt get game over in this, was good choice too in sense that now you could play this with your kid. I can easily see how some young kids would enjoy the simplicity of this game, and had the game continued longer and told more about the historical facts, it could have been very good educational experience for your kid.

Kid gets to play with hes parents, and same time learns some history in fun way.

I also liked teh graphics. It was very properly atmospheric, and the pixel nature gave a lot to them, making those graphics stand from the ground, by having some uniqueness to them.

But I do have to point out, that I did have trouble figuring out which tree was coming from where, but I think it was more of a learning curve thing. That had there been more levels, you would learn them quite quick, since already at end of the run, I was much better at seeing where that tree was coming from.

Also at same time comes to my mind one complain, it was about jumping. I would have hoped jumping to having been instant. Especially when considering how difficult it was to see when you needed to jump, and also in such a last minute you would actually even be able to see that. Add to that, that pushing up it takes a while before you actually are able to avoid that tree, it made it extremely difficult jumping over the trees, especially if they happeend to be on the right edge of the screen. I would preferred the instant up or safety instead, or at least faster safety.

message part obviously didnt get much anywhere, since the game didnt get much anywhere. But what there was, was already a very good piece of history. And it really felt like i was being educated about something interesting in a fun way, and it felt real sad i couldnt continue this history lesson about norwegian viking christians any further. This is how educational games should be done!

Fun enough that I actually feel sad im missing the class!

All in all, consideing you had only limited resources to use, I think you did real good job with them, even game clearly isnt finished at all, but only started yet.

But it was enough to convince me to want more. It almost felt like demo version of a game. Had there came a "buy now" - button telling me to buy the rest of the game, I would have pushed that button.
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Bugala, You always give thorough reviews, have you thought about starting a reviews blog? I think the trees appear at random locations, so there's no point in trying to learn a pattern.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 am

What i meant by not figuring out where tree was coming from was not about pattern learning. But that first you see the top of the tree, by which you can already figure out where in screen that trees collision part will be, and that was bit hard to figure out. That especially at beginning you see the top of tree, then you started moving for example to left, to avoid crashing to that tree, and in the end you noticed thats exactly where that tree would end and you crashed it.

Reviews blog have crossed my mind couple of times, and I actually even tried once reviewing mobile games in perhaps 2005 or something, but my then lack of understanding on how to get people to come to your website, I was solely trusting google to magically bring me people, but no one ever came, so i stopped writing them.

Thought was that since noe one seemed to be giving any longer reviews but those 5 lines of reviews on those mobile game sellers own website, that there had been a market to exploit. First game i took as a review was Prison Break, since i figured people might look for reviews of that one, but seems google didnt rank me high enough for anyone to come and read. I dont even remember that websites address anymore where my blog was. im quite sure it is something like http://www.blogs.com/mobile-game-reviews or something similar.

I have also many times considered reviewing point-n-click games, and latest thought i have been thinking, which is too big a project would be to review short games only. For it seems no one have yet made an effort to specifically start making/promoting short games, games that you can play in only one evening. You could put each week a new short game in spotlight, and those like me who like to play short games could go on and pick that game of the week each time that have already been chocse by editorial team.

And example about the lack of try for short games marketing is this Amiga game that was promoted in Amiga Future, one of the marketing lines was "Over 5 hours of gameplay!"

5 hours isnt very long, they should rather marketed in way of "takes less than 6 hours to finish!".

For that "OVER 5 hours" part is puzzling me, I am wondering how much more? IS it possible it is even 3 hours more? If they would say less than 6 hours, then that would interest me much more.

Actually, couple of times Amazons negative customer reviews have helped me made decision on buying Nintendo DS games, when they negatively review the game because "It was too short!, lested only 4 hours!" And im reading that same complaint as "Wonderful, thats exactly what im looking for!"

I have also thought about reviewing christian games, since there wouldnt be that many of them coming and im usually buying most of them anyway (from the ones i notice), but then again, theres quite many doing that already i suppose, and i wonder if i could give any significant input.

Then I have also thought of simply reviewing games that i play, but there comes the lack of focus then. Who would the target group be? Those who want to play exactly same games as me? well, thats a pretty hard pick. I myself rather go and read some focused reviews, like from Point-n-cklick games only, than some guy who reviews whatever he happesn to be playing this time.