Dev Blog | ROM12

Moderator: samw3

muadib

Re: Dev Blog | ROM12

Postby muadib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 am

I keep thinking Metroid when I look at the graphics lol. That was a fun game. Looks like this will be fun too!
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 am

Looks great, Sam!

I especially love the spiraled vines
""

._Image
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:58 am

@HanClinto Thanks!

@maudib Funny you should say that because we were talking about Metroid 1 when we were designing how the levels would work.

Here's an update. We have moving platforms! Still debugging and such. I promise they move ;)

ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 am

samw3 wrote:@HanClinto Thanks!

@maudib Funny you should say that because we were talking about Metroid 1 when we were designing how the levels would work.

Here's an update. We have moving platforms! Still debugging and such. I promise they move ;)

That's really nice Sam!
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:33 am

SOOOO TIRED!
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 am

Here it is guys!

Blood Oath by ROM12
===================

A Christian Developer's Network Speedgame 2014 entry, submitted July 21, 2014

Based on Hosea 6:6 - “For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.”

Play in your web browser: http://rom12.com/games/sg14/
Firefox or Chrome recommended, make sure WebGL is enabled.

Controls
========
Arrows to run left/right
Z to jump
X to use / talk / etc.

Tools used
==========
Tiled map editor
Cocos2D-JS & JavaScript

Credits
=======
Story by Robin Harbron and Sam Washburn, loosely based on Hosea 6:6 and Judges 11

Sam Washburn: maps, art, graphics engine code
Robin Harbron: gameplay & platform engine code
John Washburn: character art
Rianna Harbron: music
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 am

Played the game and I like the mellowness of it and the music is great. Some of those platforms are a bit frutrasting, but pretty cool game, and the game is longer than I thought! I'll have to come back to it later on. Love the pet too! Though I was expecting him to help me lol.

A suggestion if I may, I think the character sprite saturation is great, but its value should be increased a bit more to further differentiate it from the foreground/background elements, and creater better contrast. Especially in the mountain area. The pet pops out nicely against the background, though its red can be toned down very slightly, so the character becomes the focus as the most important element on screen. I did a slight paintover, if you would like to see it. If not then its ok.
—Lightbringer creed
brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Great work as usual ROM12! Really enjoyed the feel of the game. I felt like I missed several of those platform jumps literally by one pixel! Huge project considering the small time frame, so great job in completing it and making a solid game.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 pm

ExevaloN: won't hurt for us to look at your pic, sure :) Typically we use the real NES palette in our games, but have been known to be unfaithful to it at times. John and Sam do all the art, but I'll remind them to check this thread.

brandav: thanks, it was pretty ambitious, and a lot of it came together in just the last 48 hours. Some of those jumps might be a bit too difficult, I guess :)

Thanks for the comments!
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm

In case anyone is interested, I compiled a fairly thorough development diary. Sam and I did most of the development, but John (Sam's brother) chipped in with some awesome sprite art, and Rianna (my eldest daughter) composed and recorded the soundtrack. This is the second time she's worked on a video game; she also contributed two songs to the Super Splatform soundtrack last year.

I'll post the diary in three parts; today, we'll start with the first week:

July 5
Sam: Created repository and imported Cocos2D-JS (JavaScript) 2.x to it. Created game upload tool, and made game detect non WebGL browsers. Worked on porting our packer/atlas tools to Cocos2D-JS.

Robin: tried to get a clue about JavaScript and Cocos2D-JS - never used either before.

July 6
Robin: Made initial game and player classes - rough title screen, and a red square moves around under cursor key control.

Sam: finished graphics engine porting and related tools.

July 7
Robin: Made a test tilemap in Tiled, got it scrolling around following player (buggy)

July 8
Robin: Fixed scrolling bugs, limited player & camera to map dimensions. Using new better test map, camera and player starting positions.

Sam: Made new test map with collision data. Fixed bugs in tilemap rendering (bleeding textures)

July 9
Robin: Beginning of platform engine: gravity, tile collision; bouncing square like Splatform for now.

Sam: finished first pass on map00 (home village), tileset made and level design, tile properties established (collision etc.)

July 10
Robin: Platform engine improvements: player can't run through blocks anymore, detecting when jumps are legal, improved gravity

July 11
Robin: Player has 2-point and then improved to 3-point collision detection instead of 1. One-way platforms implemented (so you can jump up through them, but not fall down once you've landed). Settled on jump size/velocity. New keyboard reading system to allow detection of a new press vs. holding down the key for e.g. jumping. Support for 45 degree sloped platforms.

Sam: Made new maps: Map01 (first mountain) and Map02 (new home), and new art for them. Stand-in Beefy Red Yoda character art.
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Very cool. wish I'd made game development logs in a diary. o well, maybe next year.

That's pretty amazing RobinH that you picked up both JavaScript and Cocos2D-JS so quickly and did such a great job with it. What's your secret? ;)

Some of the platforms were pretty tough to reach, but that just adds to the whole classic feel of the game :)
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Here is the image. Check to see if its possible with the palette, if not, then see if there is a similar color. I know how its a nice challenge to stick with a specific palette and try to do as much as possible with it! :)

—Lightbringer creed
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

brandav wrote:Very cool. wish I'd made game development logs in a diary. o well, maybe next year.

Yeah, I really like reading them, hope you (and others) do next year. Sam is planning on making more details notes of his progress next year too, I didn't always know exactly what he did apart from vague commit logs, so that's why some of his entries are more boring :)

That's pretty amazing RobinH that you picked up both JavaScript and Cocos2D-JS so quickly and did such a great job with it. What's your secret? ;)

Guess I've just been programming a long time, so all I've really got to learn are the quirks and differences between the new thing and what I already know. JavaScript was quirkier than I expected; the syntax is the same as many languages I know, but its behaviour very different in some cases, being a "prototyping" language which was a new thing to me.

ExevaloN: change looks good to me, thanks.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 pm

NOTE: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Here's part 2 of 3, of our development diary.

July 12
Sam: Map02 (mountain) work. Made mapDoors arrays that tracks the various entrances and exits from the maps, and how they link. Added new graphics engine ability to have animations within an image. Worked on lava art.

John: made new main character standing and walking animations.

Robin: first pass at death (with flashing "animation") and level restarts (have to worry about restoring game state). Proper support for moving between maps. Player state support to handle the new animations. Added a small amount of time for player to still jump after leaving the platform to make it feel more fair.

July 13
Robin: Jump, falling, landing animations working. Landing time depends on fall time. Pop-up text system for game dialog. Camera adjustments.

John: made new jump, falling, and landing animations for player. New red crawlie enemy.

Sam: adding objects layer to maps (such as the pop-up text events that are triggered). Added text wrapping to engine. Added font. Added placeholder background images, and beginning on parallaxing/tiling code for backgrounds.

July 14
Robin: actiontext (texts that pop-up when you press X) and collidetext (when the player walks into a rectangle defined in Tiled) implemented. Tracking global flags (such as what one-time collidetexts have been used) that are saved when you exit a map, or reset if you die, from a saved copy. Pickups (such as the logs & rocks in map02) spawned from Tiled map data too. "Flying" cheat mode to aid in testing. Level fully resets when you die. Enemies spawn and basic left/right pacing functionality.

John: pet sprites (flying, hurt), player carrying pet sprites.

Sam: finished parallax code and art for map00. More Map02 work.

Rianna: composed the two main musical themes

July 15
Robin: Collision detection with enemies. Added delta time limiter to prevent physics bugs when browser frame rate drops.

Sam: Roughed out map03. Ice tile art. Moving platform test objects in map for Robin to implement.

July 16
Sam: Added width/height getters for px.Sprite. Swamp test. Work on map01 to map05 (castle!) and tile art.

Robin: spawning moving platforms, work on collision with player. More camera work. New highjump cheat. Cheats to start on any level #. Messed around with sprite display priority. Swamp effect for player (slowed down, low jump, sinking to death).

Rianna: recorded rough versions of the two songs
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:51 pm

It seems that particularly on Windows machines, the game seems to run in slow motion in Firefox. The footage Mack captured for this year's Speedgame summary video shows this.

So if the game seems to be running slow, please try Chrome instead. It should move along at more of a Mario pace.
brandav

Postby brandav » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Spoiler! :
In the game, if you press C the collision detection images show up on-screen. I'm guessing you probably meant to disable that.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:14 pm

brandav wrote:
Spoiler! :
In the game, if you press C the collision detection images show up on-screen. I'm guessing you probably meant to disable that.

Oh, maybe we didn't update the .zip again after we noticed that. We also tweaked some dialog and make the background to player collision more fair, before Mack closed things off.

So, we recommend playing the version on our site: http://rom12.com/games/sg14/

(which is the same one Mack linked to on the page http://christiandevs.com/news/?page_id=509 )
brandav

Postby brandav » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Don't worry, I didn't use it to cheat... that much :D
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 pm

brandav wrote:Don't worry, I didn't use it to cheat... that much :D

:) Well, it's also more difficult, due to the tougher collision. Might balance out.
achild

Postby achild » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:55 am

This is cool guys. It actually reminds me of Jill of the Jungle a good bit. (Anyone know that game?)