Dev Blog | ROM12

Moderator: samw3

RobinH

Re: Dev Blog | ROM12

Postby RobinH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 pm

achild wrote:This is cool guys. It actually reminds me of Jill of the Jungle a good bit. (Anyone know that game?)
Thanks, and no, I don't think I ever heard of Jill of the Jungle. Interesting that it was a competitor to Commander Keen, and that it was made by Epic! So it's a fairly important piece of video game history in that respect, but virtually unknown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_of_the_Jungle for people who want to read about it.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

And now, the exciting conclusion: part 3 of 3 of the development diaries.

Again, SPOILER ALERT:

July 17
Robin: implemented flying pet. actiontexts can now have a sprite associated for use with castlefolk.

Sam: Map07 work, tile work, hooked up "doors" between maps00-05.

John: made spear sprites

July 18
Rianna: finished recording two songs, started on title screen variation song

Robin: hunting mode for player, with overlaid spear sprite. Mixed Rianna's songs.

July 19
Robin: pet carrying mode for player: different animations, lower jump. Improved flying pet "AI". Player facing (left/right) based on map spawn position so he's not facing wrong way.

Sam: made building house sprites. Work on map05 (castle), 07 (lava), 08. Updated world map.

Rianna: final mp3s of the three songs

July 20
Robin: implemented house building in map02. Added single-item inventory system to player so you can only hold one pickup at a time. Added "depends" field to objects, so they'll only trigger if a certain key is already set; greatly simplifies story progression logic. Added incFrame field to objects to simplify house building trigger. Made a story pass over map00 and 01. Optimized Map07, it was loading and running really slow, too many tiles. Fixed bug with falling into another map. Hooked up music, array to select which music for each map. Fixed camera init bugs. Added game state detection to object texts, to make story progress easier with castlefolk.

Sam: work on map03, 05, 07, 08, 09.

John: made rock and log pickup art.

July 21
Robin: story on map05, plotting stairs. Highjump power-up. Improved flag/state handling for story/progress stuff. Fixed crawlie turnaround detection, and direction init. Map07 story scripting, Thulu AI to have him hover around tooth, him and tooth fall, and player pickup Thulu and tooth. Scripted dropping off Thulu at home. Scripted rough kill/don't kill Thulu sequence. Iron Wood collection in map10. Made background (spike ball) collision more forgiving. Improved some text. Fixed /\ sloped angle case.

John: castlefolk art, more spear animations

Sam: added Dragon's Tooth to map07, map07 now playable. Map10 (deep forest) done. Map04 work. Made platform art (lava style, mountain style). Map08 work, hooked up doors. Made title screen. Added rest of parallax backgrounds.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 am

Great game ROM12, didn't had time to play the full game yet, I stopped at bringing the dragon's tooth back. After that I was also trapped I think, I got the higher jump and when I went back to the cave where the dragon's tooth was I couldn't come back because I had such a high jump I kept jumping against the spikes on the ceiling.

But like I said great and big game with awesome pixelart as always.
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Berryijmker wrote:Great game ROM12, didn't had time to play the full game yet, I stopped at bringing the dragon's tooth back. After that I was also trapped I think, I got the higher jump and when I went back to the cave where the dragon's tooth was I couldn't come back because I had such a high jump I kept jumping against the spikes on the ceiling.
That happened to Clint too; sorry about that guys, we'll figure out a fix for that problem for a final release of the game.

For anyone else playing, once you get the high jump don't go back to the lava caves (east of the castle), instead go west.

We were still adding (planned) content to the game right until the deadline, and realized that doing a kind-of Metrovania style game requires more playtesting then a regular level-based platformer, since there are a lot of edge cases that need to be handled.

Thanks for playing!