Dev Blog | C³

Moderator: samw3

HanClinto
Site Admin

Dev Blog | C³

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:29 am

This year Charlie, Clint, and Chris are teaming up in the CDN speedgame.

Charlie and Clint have been absent for a couple of years -- life getting too busy, and getting in the way. But we're trying to make time for it again this year. We've teamed up together several times over the years in the Speedgame -- we worked together (usually in conjunction with a 3rd person as artist) in the past on (among other projects) Finding Keepers, Mine Enemy, and Souling's Quest.

Chris is new to the team (and to CDN) -- he's a good friend of mine from our new church here in Cincinnati. He's a great artist, a great guy, and a great brother in Christ. You can view some of his work here:
http://fusobotic.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://blendernews.org/xe/Feature_Articles/5748

When we first started going to this church a year ago, people asked what I did, and among other things, I mentioned that I did freelance game development work. At least least 5 or 6 different people all told me, "Oh, then you need to meet Chris" -- we got along well together right from the start, and it's been a lot of fun getting to know him this past year.

So that's our team this year!

We really like the verse selection, and haven't fully settled on a verse yet. We've spent hours hashing through various ideas for various things, though right now we're gravitating towards Hosea 6:6.

“For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.”

One of the big questions we're really trying to ask ourselves is:

What are the modern-day (or future-day) equivalents of burnt offerings and sacrifice that gets in the way of the more important things?

Trying to answer that question, and translate that concept into a modern or sci-fi setting that the player can relate to and understand is one of the big challenges that we're trying to tackle as we hammer out the story and the plot in this design phase.
""

._Image
dylenbrivera

Re: Dev Blog | C³

Postby dylenbrivera » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:39 am

That is great! The artwork is fantastic! Best of luck to your team!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

As I pointed out to thelittlesettler, heres for you too:
Mat 9:13 But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE MERCY AND NOT SACRIFICE.' For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."
Mat 12:7 But if you had known what this means, 'I DESIRE MERCY AND NOT SACRIFICE,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 am

Very nice artwork, wondering what game you will make :)
Soulings quest has been played a lot on the old site christgaming.com.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for the encouragement, all!

Good verse, Bugala! Some other verses for inspiration on Hosea 6:6:

Matthew 23:23
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

Jeremiah 22:3
This is what the LORD says: Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Mark 12:23
"To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

Psalm 51:16-17
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.
""

._Image
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 am

None of this code will be usable in our final game (and I'm not even sure how much I like the mechanics), but I wanted to dust off Unity and play around with its physics engine a little bit. Here's a little toy that uses their 2D physics engine.

Use the arrow keys to move your block around, and swing your orbiter around. Hold down "Shift" to release your sling, and let go of the button to call it back to you.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2737199/cdn/2014/2014.html

Using this mechanic it's possible to control the speed and direction of the thrown object, but it's perhaps too convoluted to be fun in actual gameplay. Even so, it was a fun experiment, and certainly some lessons learned and tool familiarity gained.
""

._Image
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 pm

First rough character study concept sketches from Chris:

""

._Image
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:10 am

We're using Angry Bots as our code base this year. Getting it cleaned up and ready to check into source control, and we'll be ready to start rocking.
""

._Image
muadib

Postby muadib » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Wasn't Angry Bots a 3D game? Or did you identify stuff you can reuse for a 2D game?
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 pm

muadib wrote:Wasn't Angry Bots a 3D game? Or did you identify stuff you can reuse for a 2D game?

It's 3d. I think we're going 3d this year in some regard.
""

._Image
fusobotic

Postby fusobotic » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 am

Hey all! Chris here, I'll be updating with artwork while my teammates are working on code. I've got the concepts for all base characters done, I might start modeling a few of the enemies next.

Usually I vie for more detailed/clean illustrations, but I don't have that luxury this time around since 1) this is concept art 2) I'm the only one using it for reference and 3) this a speed game after all :D
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Freakin' awesome! REALLY looking forward to your entry guys! Keep up the good work!
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:10 am

Very, very nice art, can't wait to see how the 3d models will be looking.
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 am

dat concept art! :P
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Nice work! Loving the style.
fusobotic

Postby fusobotic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Some environment concept art... Thanks for the feedback everyone! (retreats to the dungeon and returns to pushing more pixels)

ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm

fusobotic wrote:Some environment concept art... Thanks for the feedback everyone! (retreats to the dungeon and returns to pushing more pixels)

Good stuff!
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
achild

Postby achild » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

Wow! So what's all this look like in game so far, if you're willing to share?
brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Awesome graphics C3! Engaging storyline with great character design and dialogue. I liked the environment and monster variety too. I didn't see any instructions on how to play or hear any sound, but still fun gameplay. Also, cool animation of the C3 logo :)
fusobotic

Postby fusobotic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I happened to record a timelapse of one of the character portraits for fun... (might be a minor spoiler, so it's best to watch after playing the game)

http://youtu.be/zqXVy5upQAY