Dev Blog - Sketche99

Moderator: samw3

sketche99

Re: Dev Blog - Sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey brandav, glad you like it so far!

Hey muadib, you are correct, I am using mecanim. Have to admit at 1st I didn't like it, beacuse it was something else I had to learn about Unity 3D, but its growing on me. I'm no means a mecanim expert, but I know a little something.

So, I'm going to stop production and call this project done.

Here is the latest web game:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/final%20webs/final%20webs.html

Here is a touchscreen android port (tested on phone [samsung galaxy s3] & tablet [acer iconia a500]):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/No_Burnt_Offerings_touchscreen.apk

And a side load-able ouya port (tested on ouya):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/No_Burnt_Offerings_Ouya.apk

I dunno, I may play with the ouya odk and put the ouya version up for free on the ouya store, just depends on how complex it is to do so.

And I have also uploaded the Windows PC /Mac OS / and Ubuntu Linux versions to FTP.

Hope you all enjoy!
mikale

Postby mikale » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Awesome game! I played a few levels on my android phone. Really nice graphics and animation.
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:43 am

Hey after getting some feedback about my game I am actually going to try to add a few more things to it.
Some suggestions I got were:
Add a timer / time limit to complete the stage
Add enemies
Give the player an attack
A way to get to the main menu from pausing the game (or exit game from pause)
Narration of the bible text
Footsteps / jumping sound fx
An arrow indicator to show where nearby flames are (mainly for stage 7)

Not sure how much I'll manage to add before the deadline, but I'll keep you all posted.

Also, I managed to put together another speed game on yesterday.
I call it Bible Quiz Battle.
Based on Eph 6:12 you play as a Christian with the whole armor of God against a demon in a battle of bible trivia. The game is setup where each consecutive correct answer / attack does 10% damage to your opponent, but there is a "swap" damage multiplier. So if you answer 3 questions correctly consecutively you deal 30% damage to your foe, but if you answer question 4 wrong then your foe will "swap damage" attack you, meaning that your enemies attack will damage you by 40%. This encourages you to answer all questions correctly however if you answer most questions wrong and manage to answer a question correctly, it puts you back into the game (I didn't intend for the life system to be like that, the game kit came like that, but after toying with it I think it's kinda cool actually, that and I couldn't figure out how to change it without breaking something else in the kit :) )

Here is a web game link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/bible%20quiz%20demo/bible%20quiz%20demo.html

And an android apk
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/bunt%20quiz%20touch2.apk

There is only 1 stage and about 30 triva questions.
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 am

Adding those things would really improve it sketche99, in the first levels I really was missing some options to fail the level until I came to the big lava level.
So adding those things would be really awesome. Very great job on the game.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Before reviewing this game, I want to ask if i encountered a bug possibly.

Is it so that when you complete the supposedly last level, the big lava level, you are thrown back to level 1?

Or is it just that because i died both times trying to complete it faultless that i got thrown back to level 1? I didnt even collect 12 burnt offerings even in total on that level. So seems there is something off.
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

bugala wrote:Before reviewing this game, I want to ask if i encountered a bug possibly.

Is it so that when you complete the supposedly last level, the big lava level, you are thrown back to level 1?

Or is it just that because i died both times trying to complete it faultless that i got thrown back to level 1? I didnt even collect 12 burnt offerings even in total on that level. So seems there is something off.

Thanks for the bug test Bugala!
Seems when I was adding the jump sound effect scripts to my player at the last minute, I added a level script that wasn't supposed to be added to the player! Another person who play tested the game told me something similar yesterday, but I couldn't address it until today (a few hours ago actually)

So here are the updated links for all of the game builds.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/No_Burnt_Offerings_Ouya.apk
ouya

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/No_Burnt_Offerings_touchscreen.apk
android

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/final%20webs/final%20webs.html
web game

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/Linux.zip
linux

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/Mac.zip
mac

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/Win.zip
win
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Sketch, this game is wonderful. I really enjoyed playing through, and the narrations fit well. The last level surprised me, because it was so vast and maze-like. I had been thinking earlier in the game that the levels ought to be getting a bit more difficult, so I was glad to see that one at last.

Overall, really nice and polished, complete game. I haven't finished everyone else's games yet, but yours is one of my favorites so far.

By the way, thanks for the Linux version! It works great.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 pm

I now played the newer version through as well.

Lot of good things to say about this game.

I liked the graphics, I liked how it felt like a real game made with time.

I was surprised when i noticed that you actually hadnt polished this, for I thought this specifically was very polished! But later on I did notice things here and there. But you get done real good looking stuff right from the box so to say. I was expecting this well looking stuff would have required polishing to be done first.

I liked how musics sounded, I liked how levels had different graphics, and especially that they were clearly different themed, ie. grass, ice, desert...

I was about to complain from first verson the lack of jumping sound, and now that you added it to newer version, it made even bigger difference than i expected. It made game much more interesting, although nothing really changed.

I also liked how the game had non violent, yet interesting objective. And while the objective was basically similar to any other game (collect stars, coins...), You had made a christian alternative that worked well to the games theme.

I also liked the christian message approach, where you didnt actually say anything yourself, but instead let bible speak itself. It was very clear right from beginning what this game was going to talk about (thanks to title screen), and then all the messages in game were verses that were confirming this original message.

For example, it took me years to understand the significance of Jesus death, and when I finaly realsied it from David Wilkersons book, it felt like a great revelation and changed me from inside greatly. Something like this on those early days when I didnt have much grasp of any christian tehology had simply been a great thing.

While there were lots of lots of great things in your game, and things I praise, there unfortunately was one thing I didnt like in it. The game itself...

Its not that the game was bad. I liked how the guy ran, and jumped and how you were supposed to "collect" those burnt offerings, but lack of challenge made it seem long time. It did help a lot that music and graphics changed, it was actually huge improvement and even impressed me to some extent, but it still wouldnt change the fact that practically I would just be running around towards those burnt offerings, and thats it. It woudl take its time before i reach them, but there wasnt much else there.

Those few higher hills and even jump between two cliffs, or a slightly hidden burnt offerings, those were the peeks of the game. I just had hoped there had been more of that.

Last level however was exception. At same time this last level was best and worse level. It was best that in this one you could both fall to your death, as well as you actualyl had to jump on platforms and had to actually find those burnt offerings. However, level was simpy huge, and that guy wasnt big enough, and there wasnt enough stuff to keep me interested. Especially when most of the time I was just running through a long straight line to reach the next corridor, and biggest threat wasnt missing the platforms that were meant to be challenging, but biggest challenge was if i had forgot to make the camera angle such, that i would notice those holes on the ground. Most natural (and fun) camera angle had been at about level with your guy, and i had nicely seen what was coming ahead of me, but now because of those hardly seeable holes (the black edges made them hardly seeable), I had to put the camera angle close to from top of characters head and look down. That spoiled a lot of the fun running aroun that way.

But do not understand me wrong. I see this as a great game nevertheless, and I see this as a possibility for real fun educational game.

I could see this as some sort of teach theology to yourself the fun way, where you play one short game each time, that concentrates on some topic in same way as this. I could easily see myself spending that half an hour each day for 10 days to learn 10 different topics the fun way.

I see other peoples point about both enemies and time, but I would disagree with them. I enjoyed that i could go at my own pace and also about the non violent way. Also when you dont have those attackings anywhere, you concentrate better on those inbetween level messages. What I see, is just to make more challenging reaching those burnt offerings. Tall mountains, jumpings on platforms etc. And there is even no need to death. It can just be that you need to jump on platforms to reach higher, and if you fail, you fall to the ground, but then just start jumping from bottom platform again. I could see that as a lot of fun. And there were coulpe of places that had a little taste of that, and they were fun spots.

Oh, and another things. Make that guy a bit faster. He isnt moving slow even now, but I would have liked your character to be bit faster still, especially on that last level.

And last level reminds me, I was hugely disappointed that after I had took so much and long effort in reaching all the 12 burnt offerings, I didnt get another bible verse anymore, but instead I just got the end credits, which I could have read right at beginning anyway. I felt like I completed the last level for nothing. A huge level, clearly different from the rest, one that seemed like important, the climax of all level, and then it really wasnt. I could as well just quit the game already when i reached that level. Thats how i felt. Like I was betrayed by the programmer.

All in all, the gameplaying itself currently isnt very much fun, but the game in every other aspect is excellent. Graphics, music, diversity, all. Just great. More necessary jumping level design and this becomes real fun and very polished looking game. Plus add there one more bible verse at end of game.

edit:
Almost forgot to mention. I liked it very much that those verses were actually read in voice.
Last edited by bugala on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Your Bible quiz games downloan link is not working?
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:31 pm

bugala wrote:Your Bible quiz games downloan link is not working?

This link should work for the web game
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/Bible%20Quiz%20Battle%20Web/Bible%20Quiz%20Battle%20Web.html

The other ones I uploaded to FTP should hopefully work
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 am

A Bible quiz game? What a?

I made a bible quiz game as my first speedcoder game, based upon it being easy to make, so it was a good test game, not like i was plannign to actually make anything good. This one better haev some idea about his Bible Quiz game if hes entering it to speedgame.

Those were my thoughts when i noticed in CDN chat that there was a bible quiz game among speedgame entrys, and when i found out that was actually your seconds game already to this same competition, I was prepared for something quite terrible half hearted product.

But what a surprise! Your Bible Quiz game is actually pretty nice product.

IO was already thinking it better be something else than just colelcting points, and it is. Its a battle system based upon bible quiz. I could see this easily expanded into even more, or even if not really expanded, simply adding couple more powerfully hitting enemies, this could be interesting trying to just beat the game, especially when you are afacing goljat who kills you with only two wrong answers.

The battle system really makes it so much more fun answering to these questions, and I can see how it would feel real tight would this be part of some for example RPG game, that this would be the battle system, how it would feel real tight when youre in boss battle and you keep wondering wether the answer was choice number 1 or 2...

Anyway, although I have to admit, All the time I played this I was more of thinking what all this could be, it however does stand as a nice quick experiment even as now.

Knowing you probably spent more like a day than a week in this one, this was pretty awesome product. Sure, theres not that many questions, and sometimes you get the same even twice, but what can you expect from a quiz game done this fast.

It really made it so much more fun ansering right to a question when your guy beats the enemy thanks to your mouse click on right answer, and it made it so terribly feeling when you answered wrong and got beaten up thanks to that. Punished from wrong answers.

Animations are very pretty, everything felt natural and while it was small, it was very complete. TYou could even pause the game, get to main menu etc. little things that made it seems so much more quality. Such a litte things that make such a big difference.

Only one little confusion there was. When i started the game and music started and that shield came, I was expecting some sort of story introduction to be coming, and it took me a while befoer i clicked on that shield to get forward, but even that was minor.

I can easily see how this could become a mobile game. Basically all you would need to do would be to put more questions and perhaps even just 2 more enemies that hit harder than this one, and you wuold already have a okay mobile. And I think it would be excellent to mobiles from control point of view. I can see how it would be very nice being able to simply press on screen on the answer and things happen.
This would be kind of game that any beleiver could use for time killing when they need to wait for couple of minutes in some place before they are called in or something and they need something that can instantly be interrupted, or even left alone and continued later again.

Although this is very small and still at least seems to me like in very early development phase, I liked this one a lot, and I can see a lot of potential with this.

Especially when you remember that while I and probably rest CDNers will be looking bit down towards any Bible Quiz game, we must not forget that theres plenty of people who will never play games, but they can play a bible quiz game. If this would be in Finnish, I could for example see putting this to my aunts husbands phone and he might well like to play it every now and then (although that battle system might actually be minus to him, and he would prefer traditional and boring points system), even he otherwise dont play games as he never has, and hes already past 70.

Great job with this bible quiz! A new interesting twist, and done in such a short time and yet, such a polished looking product.