Dev Blog | Exevalon

Moderator: samw3

muadib

Re: Dev Blog | Exevalon

Postby muadib » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:38 am

Looks menacing. Good luck getting everything done!
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:42 pm

muadib wrote:Looks menacing. Good luck getting everything done!
Thanks Kris!

Well, I thought today was the last day, but seeing the main page, the clock still counts down to 1 Day and 12 Hours, which means I still have time to implement some things, woo hoo! And here i was thinking I was gonna have to brave it to 3 or 4 am in the morning, only to wake up a few hours later and go to church. So, here is where Im at so far!

Enemy movement and attack animations working good, enemy gets aggro when I get close, hits me, takes a chunk of life off, I blink for a bit and then go back to normal. Now all I need to do is be able to hit back, take life away and im all set. Then it will be a question of implementing the full level since im using a debug level at the moment. I think I may actually finish this on time!

Anyways, to everyone else, keep at it to the final minutes! God bless.
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:56 am

Day 15 - Production Phase Ending, Post-Production phase commencing

So as I've been working, I've also been trying to tinker with and fix a few things that bother me. Nonetheless, im nearing the end of the production phase, so I should hold on to any tinkering until I reach the post-production phase, as what I have left to implement is very little code-wise. Level construction will commence shortly, and after that, I'll be polishing here and there. One full day still left, so I intend to use every single minute! Im going to try to post a video up of where im at so you can all see it in movement.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:30 pm

So I recorded a video of my game progress, you can watch it here : https://youtu.be/9piXEr-xXaY

May need to turn the volume up as I recorded using my cellphone, and the speaker has been giving me trouble lately, so I recorded my voice very close to the mic and even so its not loud enough in my opinion. I still havn't implemented any sounds into the game, so its all action, reaction and visuals for now. First part of Stage One is done. So I will be doing the other two parts, as shown in the concept pics on the first pages. After that, finally implement those story sequences I mentioned to give the game context since I couldn't implement the town nor the NPC characters.
Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Final Day

So, im sorry to say I will not be uploading my game. As much as I tried, I was unable to fix a collision bug which was bothering me, and although I could have avoided it by doing a straight-run kind of stage, without holes and tunnels, etc, it wasn't really what I wanted. There were also a few issues with the keyboard keys, if they were held down in unison, it would have crazy results. Between Saturday, yesterday and today, my time was spent analyzing, fixing, writing and then repeating the process over again. I fixed certain issues, new ones would arise, I would then get through those and again I would have another obstacle to get through. I wanted everything to function accordingly, trying everything a player might try while playing the game, so I could attack bugs and issues head on. Basically I was playtesting, bug finding & fixing, while I simultaneously built my game. Im very methodical. And finally, even if I had done that, the game would not have been complete, as it was still lacking something to appropriately close. No boss, nor story context as I had envisioned. I simply did not want to release something subpar.

Nonetheless, this was a great experience and it was an honor to participate with you all! I've been wanting to get back into game design more as I mostly spend my time doing concept art, illustration and graphic design. So this was like throwing fresh water onto my face. And its been a while since I've coded so this was a good moment to really get back on the saddle. Also, for the past two weeks, I've pushed myself further than I thought possible. I've never animated so much nor created so much game assets. It felt very good, it took me out of my comfort zone, and it helped me grow as an artist. So, participating in this challenge, even if I was unable to finish, was a really good experience.

I was able to do three stages out of four, but since the third one isn't up to my quality standards, I'll be posting the link from my drop box, so you guys can atleast get a feel for the game with the first two stages. It is in my plans to fully implement all the features I originally had in mind and complete this game. And when that happens, I'll let you all know. Thanks for the opportunity and may God continue to bless each and every one of you!

Raul
—Lightbringer creed
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Speaking to you almost every night, I know that you put forth full effort into creating your game. I respect everything you have accomplished and I salute you to your previous post. I still look forward to seeing the game. Now that the speedgame is over, you can take your time perfecting it!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20