Game entry - Bugala | "A thief and a liar"

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Game entry - Bugala | "A thief and a liar"

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 am

My speedgame 2014 entry - "A thief and a liar" have been uploaded to christiandevs FTP server.

It is also available from my dropbox at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... me2014.exe
Size is 100 Mb.

Since Blendenzo hit very strange bug, Which I believe to be bug with RPGmaker itself, I am uploading alternative version for those to get around that problem, especially in case it for some reason is my own doing after all in the version I have uploaded:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... native.exe

Do not use this normally, since this is not really a fix. Idea is, that if in dungeon switch is not working, despite you having the control stick, then you can save your game, copy your save games somewhere (from main folder) and then install this alternative version instead, copy your save games back to alternative versions main folder, and load a game to continue.

In this alternative version that door blocking your way, is not in place at all. By otherwords, with this alternative version you dont have to solve the dungeon at all, but can just simply walk to that chest and open it.

CREDITS:

I only used RPGmaker VXAce basic version (bought from Humblebundle.coms weekly bundle, couple of months ago)
All graphics, music and sound are what have been included in that basic RPGmaker VXace.
With exception that there was in that RPGmaker so called character generator to create similar looking characters by choosing options with your mouse.
This character generator i used to make the main character and two faces (main characters face and one NPCs face)

Dylanbrivera did some playtesting for first part of game, and although hes playtesting time was very little due to himself having trouble finishing his own speedgame entry, this little time anyway gave me extremely improtant bug find, which I hadnt noticed myself at all, even i had went there several times, and which was actually obvious to happen every now and then. Thanks to this very important find, i both fixed that exact place, and also most likely prevented players getting similarly stuck by being blocked by NPCs in future too.

Therefore, big thank you to dylanbrivera, you maybe were able to use only very little time for testing, but even that very little time showed how extremely valuable even small playtesting by someone else than one making the game can be.

Thanks to B-O as well for playtesting last night. Based upon hes playtesting, I as last change decided to remove the cheat area from the game. I might at later point upload to dropbox a version which has that cheat area again if there are those who havent been able to complete the game themselves.

Everything else was created during Speedgame, except at later part in game there is one small dungeon, which i took from my test project. But atlhough those two maps are graphically same, I did create all
the events (that means for example doors and stuff to find, texts...) again to fit this exact game.

INSTRUCTIONS:
This is RPGmaker game, if you know this program, you probably know more than me. I used this for first time, except for small test project.

- Arrows to move
- Return, Space, and probably even SHIFT works as so called Action button.
- ESC to gain save/items menu
- Load game available from title menu only (Accessible Ingame through choosing end game first from ingame menu and returning to title menu)
- F1 to access full screen on/off and controls menu.

To talk to people, try to look, or take something - use ACTION button.
Sometimes talking to people etc. it might be enough that you just walk towards them, sometimes you need to use action button.

If you have some item, it will automatically be used if you can use it. Therefore there is no necessary need to ever look into your items.

PLAYTHRHOUGH TIME BY GUESS:
When I test played game from beginnning to end, by knowing in advance what to do, and skipping most the text, it took me about 35 minutes. Hence I would guess you should prepare at least 2 hours to play this game through. But there is the SAVE option.

You may comment to this thread about the game.

EDIT:
IMPORTANT!

I forgot to mention to keep saving your game. You can die in that game. And if you have no save game, then you have to start from beginning.
Last edited by bugala on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
muadib

Re: Game entry - Bugala | "A thief and a liar"

Postby muadib » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Nice job Bugala. Played all the way to when the man leaves to the island. Interesting story.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 pm

The Rest of the game is probably quite easy already. I was running out of time at that point (and actually even before), so the puzzles there are very easy.
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 pm

You hit the nail right on the head with your post. I did a bit of play testing, but not as much as I had anticipated. I'm glad that I was able to help out. Even if it was with just a simple bug find! Congrats on your game!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:08 am

There is now alternative version of this game because Blendenzo hit some strange bug that i believe to having to do with RPGmaker itself. However, in case someone else hits the same bug, or in worse, it is my own fault and it exists in the version i uploaded, here is link to alternative version:

notice, this is NOT a bug fix, this is alternative version. Problem was that even Blendenzo had a switch stick in dungeon, he still couldnt use the switch. If this happens to you too, then you can use this alternative version, which has that door blocking your way to the chest removed from its place. By otherwords, with this version you dont have to solve the dungeon at all, but can just simply directly go and walk to chest and open it.

To use this version, first save your game, then make a backup of your saves to somewhere elsewhere (save games are at games main folder).
After backing up save games elsewhere, you install the new version of the game (you can even simply install it elsewhere than the original installation to play for sure).
After having installed the new version, copy save games to new versions main game folder, start the new version, load your save game, and door blocking your way to chest is there no more.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Whoops!

Did a bad bad mistake.

In case you downloaded my game between this, and previous box using dropbox link, you have to try again.

When I tried if there was a bug, and made that laternative version for Blendenzo, I forgot to set the starting place back to beginning of game.

If you have downlaoded from dropbox between this and previous post of mine, then you have been playing a very short game, that started from pretty much end of my game.

Please download it from my dropbox or ftp-server again, and play it from beginning. Version on christiandevs ftp-server however, have been right all the time.
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 am

Below is my feedback. Overall, I really liked the game. The story was great and the little things I could do kept me interested. You've got a good gift for games Bugala.
- Taking on the role of the Thief/Liar felt a little awkward for me. I kept thinking "I don't want to do that!"
- I liked the music althroughout the game. It matched the mood and sounded good.
- I debated whether or not to use RPG Maker. I actually decided I wanted more from the graphics than it looked like it could provide. Although it was better quality, it wasn't the feel I was looking for.
- I liked having the little puzzles and being able to choose from a bunch of different things instead of being corralled.
- I'm not sure if you wanted it this way, but by having the puzzles first it seemed like the game was more about that than the combat. Which is fine. But I felt like I wanted to fight things earlier so I could start improving my character. I think if there were a big boss battle at the end that could have added to the climax when they kill him.
- I think maybe we both did the same thing in our games and have a little too much dialogue. I think one thing I would try and do over is make the dialogue more compact. But the story is pretty good.
- Reminded of the Samaritan woman by the well when talking to the missionary.
- Again, the choices of who to go to are very nice. I actually would have liked to see more people in town and maybe make the quota 5.
- After the missionary came the food I put out for the dog and the cow were still there. Feels like it should have been removed.
- The door outside was slightly off from the wall when trying to get the scriptures on the widow's house. Also, on some buildings, the shadows to the right only went a few squares up when the building went more. It looked off...
- Small nitpick: some of the grammar and spelling were a little off. But it did bug me a little. Seems like it's mostly "hes" instead of "his"
- I like how you defeated the bats/monsters before they would be open to the Gospel, which is the route I took too. Great minds think alike :)
- After the guy gets older and goes to the older it reminds me of the Cola Cola island in Startropics. That was a fun game :)
- Sometimes the bats took no damage and I wasn't sure why because I would usually do a lot of damage. There was already a miss, so I didn't know why.
- Nice attacking effect on the enemies.
- Good job with the little things and side things that make the game more interesting.
- Sometimes when I pressed ESC to cancel a battle action it would bring up the program options instead.
- The secret stairs in the town on the island goes down which is wierd because it leads to the top of the tower.
- I think there is a bug in the movement of the people in the village that was terrorized by the neme-neme priest after I told them about the shop and the fisherman.
- I found another bug in the first dungeon where you go to the room unlocked by the key. The north part of the square where the door is has no collision. So I could start walking on top of the walls :)
- Maybe say "The End" instead of "Game Over". As "Game Over" implies I lost. Unless... Did I lose?
Last edited by muadib on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Violinist/Violist
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks a lot Muadib. Dont know what i screwed, but somehow i must have not uploaded the correctd version to myu dropbox.

I have now uploaded right version to dropbox, and also donwloaded it myself and tested it, adn it starts from beginning as it should.

Heres all the links just in case again:
FTP-link:
http://christiandevs.com/cdnspeedgame14/Bugala/

Dropbox link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... me2014.exe

Alternative Dungeon version:

- As far as i know, FTP-version have been working right all the time.
- Dropbox link was the one where i at one point accidentally put game to start from almost end of game dungeon.
- Alternative Dungeon version should only be used if you are encountering bug in dungeon preventing switch stick being used as happened to Blendenzo. In that case:
1. save your game,
2. install alternative version elsewhere than original version,
3. copy your save game from original, to alternative version,
4. start alternative version and "Load game" and door is removed from its place from blocking your way.
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok, I got it working and edited my post above. Why did I edit it instead of making a new post? I'm not sure lol

Violinist/Violist
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks from a big amount of feeback, I will comment some of them.

muadib wrote:Below is my feedback. Overall, I really liked the game. The story was great and the little things I could do kept me interested. You've got a good gift for games Bugala.
- Taking on the role of the Thief/Liar felt a little awkward for me. I kept thinking "I don't want to do that!"

Originally my mind was pulled to two different thoughts about the game. I was thinking that if non believer would play this game, hence i wanted story to tell about a guy, who is beyond hope in players eyes, a guy who could as far as i care, rot in hell! And yet, he is still loved by God and saved. I was basically thinking, this could perhaps open someones eyes, since I have quite many times heard how some people say "Oh, i am so bad, God cant fogive me anymore" even they really havent done much compared to many others. But in the end at some point i decided that my play audience is only christian devs, hence in the end part i just decided it would be nice to play a story about hero of faith so to say, and design decisions are same to that.

- I liked the music althroughout the game. It matched the mood and sounded good.

Well, those were the limited choices in rpgmaker.

- I debated whether or not to use RPG Maker. I actually decided I wanted more from the graphics than it looked like it could provide. Although it was better quality, it wasn't the feel I was looking for.

Since I figured I wouldnt have much time. I decided this year to concentrate on design instead of coding, hence i picked RPGmaker, as i happened to get it couple of months ago from humble bundle offer.

- I'm not sure if you wanted it this way, but by having the puzzles first it seemed like the game was more about that than the combat. Which is fine. But I felt like I wanted to fight things earlier so I could start improving my character. I think if there were a big boss battle at the end that could have added to the climax when they kill him.

I didnt plan there to be much battles at all. Also, the island part was supposed to be much bigger and longer, and there had been couple of more battles. As i was running out of time, i just made some fights there instead of more puzzles and hence the balance in the end seems to be like more fighting that puzzling, although in realisty, it should have been that battles would be a rare thing.

And the big boss. I actually meant there to be in the final place a big boss so that when Mack is about to do the last thing he does in game, there would attack big boss demon trying to make him run away scared. But since i completely cut the part i meant there to be instead of the dungeon, there was no place for player to sensibly train himself better, and hence i cut the big boss battle out..

- I think maybe we both did the same thing in our games and have a little too much dialogue. I think one thing I would try and do over is make the dialogue more compact. But the story is pretty good.

You can see that the quality of my writing get worse towards the end due to time ending. Originally I wanted each person in whole game to have some sort of story. Now there are for example thsoe three buyers who are simply referred as buyers since i started running out of time. I personally like the ones that have stories, like the blacksmith who is told to in the end to lose his fight against the bottle etc.

- Reminded of the Samaritan woman by the well when talking to the missionary.

by purpose. If you go to talk to sandy, he talks to her same way as that samarian woman "This man knew everything, he knew i had 5 husbands.."

- Again, the choices of who to go to are very nice. I actually would have liked to see more people in town and maybe make the quota 5.

I would have liked that too, but since you were able with your previous actions to make some of the people unavailable, i played safe and decided 4 only, to make sure they still have choices, even if they happen to choose the biggest number away previously.

For example, if you invite 3 people to listen to Andrei, who all take Jesus, then theres 3 off, then you could get the flower, steal money from certain people, and get another 5 people out, since one is even based if you didnt do something before, he cant be saved. hence already 8 people would be out of question. It is unlikely, but someone might happen to play exactly that way.

- After the missionary came the food I put out for the dog and the cow were still there. Feels like it should have been removed.

I removed some other things, those i forgot and thought not so big things, since what is bad in giving food to dog or a cow. But that you can still kick that dog... blasted, switched wrong switch there on. I removed it but used wrong switch to do it.

- The door outside was slightly off from the wall when trying to get the scriptures on the widow's house. Also, on some buildings, the shadows to the right only went a few squares up when the building went more. It looked off...

That whole place is pretty off. I started making it with laptop, came to conlusion it is too slow, and will make that place when i get back home, and in the end i decided that that place is anyway working, so only if i have time i will make that place, and in the end i didnt.

That was supposed to be a place where there had been some guards and other mechanisms that you would have needed to figure out (from multiple choices again), but now you just go inside grab the box and go out. You werent even supposed to get inside from front door, and there was supposed to be backdoor too. But time is so short...

- Small nitpick: some of the grammar and spelling were a little off. But it did bug me a little. Seems like it's mostly "hes" instead of "his"

I was wondering which way it is, came to conclusion proper way is "hes" and took extra care to write them that way...

- I like how you defeated the bats/monsters before they would be open to the Gospel, which is the route I took too. Great minds think alike :)

I think it was quite natural direction to go.

- After the guy gets older and goes to the older it reminds me of the Cola Cola island in Startropics. That was a fun game :)

never heard of it before.

- Sometimes the bats took no damage and I wasn't sure why because I would usually do a lot of damage. There was already a miss, so I didn't know why.

I noticed the same. Except for blind sometimes, it seems RPGMakers random is not very good one.

- Nice attacking effect on the enemies.

Rpgmakers defaults, never touched any of them.

- Good job with the little things and side things that make the game more interesting.
- Sometimes when I pressed ESC to cancel a battle action it would bring up the program options instead.

RPGmaker.

- The secret stairs in the town on the island goes down which is wierd because it leads to the top of the tower.

Thats why he comments about them being weird stairs.
- I think there is a bug in the movement of the people in the village that was terrorized by the neme-neme priest after I told them about the shop and the fisherman.

Time and laziness, they can eventually get away, but it might require you to go out of village and come back.

- I found another bug in the first dungeon where you go to the room unlocked by the key. The north part of the square where the door is has no collision. So I could start walking on top of the walls :)

I have completely missed that :)

- Maybe say "The End" instead of "Game Over". As "Game Over" implies I lost. Unless... Did I lose?

RPGMaker again. Could probably have been changed from somewhere, but I didnt take time to find it.
I was actually wondering if some would wonder that if they completed it or not thanks to that. Tried to make it otherwise clear hence. But seems my fear was somewhat right.