Thanks from a big amount of feeback, I will comment some of them.
muadib wrote:Below is my feedback. Overall, I really liked the game. The story was great and the little things I could do kept me interested. You've got a good gift for games Bugala.
- Taking on the role of the Thief/Liar felt a little awkward for me. I kept thinking "I don't want to do that!"
Originally my mind was pulled to two different thoughts about the game. I was thinking that if non believer would play this game, hence i wanted story to tell about a guy, who is beyond hope in players eyes, a guy who could as far as i care, rot in hell! And yet, he is still loved by God and saved. I was basically thinking, this could perhaps open someones eyes, since I have quite many times heard how some people say "Oh, i am so bad, God cant fogive me anymore" even they really havent done much compared to many others. But in the end at some point i decided that my play audience is only christian devs, hence in the end part i just decided it would be nice to play a story about hero of faith so to say, and design decisions are same to that.
- I liked the music althroughout the game. It matched the mood and sounded good.
Well, those were the limited choices in rpgmaker.
- I debated whether or not to use RPG Maker. I actually decided I wanted more from the graphics than it looked like it could provide. Although it was better quality, it wasn't the feel I was looking for.
Since I figured I wouldnt have much time. I decided this year to concentrate on design instead of coding, hence i picked RPGmaker, as i happened to get it couple of months ago from humble bundle offer.
- I'm not sure if you wanted it this way, but by having the puzzles first it seemed like the game was more about that than the combat. Which is fine. But I felt like I wanted to fight things earlier so I could start improving my character. I think if there were a big boss battle at the end that could have added to the climax when they kill him.
I didnt plan there to be much battles at all. Also, the island part was supposed to be much bigger and longer, and there had been couple of more battles. As i was running out of time, i just made some fights there instead of more puzzles and hence the balance in the end seems to be like more fighting that puzzling, although in realisty, it should have been that battles would be a rare thing.
And the big boss. I actually meant there to be in the final place a big boss so that when Mack is about to do the last thing he does in game, there would attack big boss demon trying to make him run away scared. But since i completely cut the part i meant there to be instead of the dungeon, there was no place for player to sensibly train himself better, and hence i cut the big boss battle out..
- I think maybe we both did the same thing in our games and have a little too much dialogue. I think one thing I would try and do over is make the dialogue more compact. But the story is pretty good.
You can see that the quality of my writing get worse towards the end due to time ending. Originally I wanted each person in whole game to have some sort of story. Now there are for example thsoe three buyers who are simply referred as buyers since i started running out of time. I personally like the ones that have stories, like the blacksmith who is told to in the end to lose his fight against the bottle etc.
- Reminded of the Samaritan woman by the well when talking to the missionary.
by purpose. If you go to talk to sandy, he talks to her same way as that samarian woman "This man knew everything, he knew i had 5 husbands.."
- Again, the choices of who to go to are very nice. I actually would have liked to see more people in town and maybe make the quota 5.
I would have liked that too, but since you were able with your previous actions to make some of the people unavailable, i played safe and decided 4 only, to make sure they still have choices, even if they happen to choose the biggest number away previously.
For example, if you invite 3 people to listen to Andrei, who all take Jesus, then theres 3 off, then you could get the flower, steal money from certain people, and get another 5 people out, since one is even based if you didnt do something before, he cant be saved. hence already 8 people would be out of question. It is unlikely, but someone might happen to play exactly that way.
- After the missionary came the food I put out for the dog and the cow were still there. Feels like it should have been removed.
I removed some other things, those i forgot and thought not so big things, since what is bad in giving food to dog or a cow. But that you can still kick that dog... blasted, switched wrong switch there on. I removed it but used wrong switch to do it.
- The door outside was slightly off from the wall when trying to get the scriptures on the widow's house. Also, on some buildings, the shadows to the right only went a few squares up when the building went more. It looked off...
That whole place is pretty off. I started making it with laptop, came to conlusion it is too slow, and will make that place when i get back home, and in the end i decided that that place is anyway working, so only if i have time i will make that place, and in the end i didnt.
That was supposed to be a place where there had been some guards and other mechanisms that you would have needed to figure out (from multiple choices again), but now you just go inside grab the box and go out. You werent even supposed to get inside from front door, and there was supposed to be backdoor too. But time is so short...
- Small nitpick: some of the grammar and spelling were a little off. But it did bug me a little. Seems like it's mostly "hes" instead of "his"
I was wondering which way it is, came to conclusion proper way is "hes" and took extra care to write them that way...
- I like how you defeated the bats/monsters before they would be open to the Gospel, which is the route I took too. Great minds think alike
I think it was quite natural direction to go.
- After the guy gets older and goes to the older it reminds me of the Cola Cola island in Startropics. That was a fun game
never heard of it before.
- Sometimes the bats took no damage and I wasn't sure why because I would usually do a lot of damage. There was already a miss, so I didn't know why.
I noticed the same. Except for blind sometimes, it seems RPGMakers random is not very good one.
- Nice attacking effect on the enemies.
Rpgmakers defaults, never touched any of them.
- Good job with the little things and side things that make the game more interesting.
- Sometimes when I pressed ESC to cancel a battle action it would bring up the program options instead.
- The secret stairs in the town on the island goes down which is wierd because it leads to the top of the tower.
Thats why he comments about them being weird stairs.
- I think there is a bug in the movement of the people in the village that was terrorized by the neme-neme priest after I told them about the shop and the fisherman.
Time and laziness, they can eventually get away, but it might require you to go out of village and come back.
- I found another bug in the first dungeon where you go to the room unlocked by the key. The north part of the square where the door is has no collision. So I could start walking on top of the walls
I have completely missed that
- Maybe say "The End" instead of "Game Over". As "Game Over" implies I lost. Unless... Did I lose?
RPGMaker again. Could probably have been changed from somewhere, but I didnt take time to find it.
I was actually wondering if some would wonder that if they completed it or not thanks to that. Tried to make it otherwise clear hence. But seems my fear was somewhat right.