SpeedGame Pre-Voting Disclosures READ THIS!

Moderator: samw3

samw3
Site Admin

SpeedGame Pre-Voting Disclosures READ THIS!

Postby samw3 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 pm

SpeedGame voting is just around the corner!

Before we start the vote, please take a few moments to answer a few questions about your game in order to help players to vote.

Reply to this thread with your answers! Be honest and be sure to brag about yourself!
  1. Was this a solo job or did you have a team? How big was your team? Do you feel your team was a good size?
  2. How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional)
  3. Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch?
  4. Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch?
  5. Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art?
  6. Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music?
  7. Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? How heavily is you game influenced by other games?
Thank you all for an awesome SpeedGame 2014!
RobinH

Re: SpeedGame Pre-Voting Disclosures READ THIS!

Postby RobinH » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 pm

I should mention Sam made this list of questions because I mentioned that while I like the current voting scheme a lot, it doesn't really account for whether the art and music (for example) are original or canned, and likewise, it doesn't account for other major factors like team size and experience. In past years people have commented "I really liked the music!" and presumably upvoted a game for that, while the music was simply downloaded from some site and slapped into the game, or "the art is great!" and meanwhile it's the default graphics that are included with the game engine. But at the same time, if a programmer is working by him or herself, it's unrealistic to expect the same level of art as if there were a dedicated artist on the team.

So this thread is for those of you that care about these things. It is of course up to each voter to decide whether this information should factor into the scores they give. Now, to answer the questions:
1. Was this a solo job or did you have a team? How big was your team? Do you feel your team was a good size?
There were four of us on the team: Sam and I nearly full-time, and Rianna and John part-time (a few days each). The team size was pretty near optimal; if John weren't so busy with work and life the project would have benefited even more but overall, very good. We've worked together before, which also helps.
2. How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional)
I get paid to develop games, so I guess I'm a pro :) Same with Sam, and John has made a living as a game artist in the past. My daughter Rianna is still a high-school student, but has had her game music published previously, in P1XL's iOS game Super Splatform in late 2013.
3. Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch?
We used JavaScript and Cocos2D-JS. Sam made a new layer on top of Cocos2D for our sprite and text system, and I built the platformer engine on top of that. We basically just used Cocos2D for keyboard input, sprite/tilemap display, and sound playback and did the rest from scratch.
4. Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch?
All the game code was original. It was my first time programming in JavaScript and with Cocos2D-JS, so the first several days were quite slow as I learned all the quirks of the language and engine.
5. Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art?
John did all the character/sprite art: the main character and pet, the castle folk, the enemies, and pickups. Sam did all the tile and background art, and the moving platforms too. The only thing not original is the font - it was borrowed from the Commodore 64!
6. Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music?
Rianna composed and recorded the three songs used in the game, using Logic Pro 9 on our MacBook. We didn't use any sound effects; maybe in an update.
7. Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? How heavily is you game influenced by other games?
We set out to make a "Metrovania" style game, so we borrowed ideas from the classic Metroid and Castlevania games. I don't think we have any unique mechanics, but I don't know if anyone has made a scripture-inspired (fairly) open-world story-based platformer before, so the innovation (if any) is in the new combination we put together.
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:07 am

samw3 wrote:
There was one other person. but we were both part timer's on this project.
samw3 wrote: [*]How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional)
Hobbyist.
samw3 wrote: [*]Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch?
I made a rough draft engine in game maker, then Berry re-made a similar but better one in construct 2, then I modified what he made in construct 2.
samw3 wrote: [*]Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch?
Berry seems to have made it from scratch as it wasn't a very complicated engine, and I merely chopped, duplicated, and rearranged code he had already made.
samw3 wrote: [*]Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art?
A couple of splash screens in the intro were public domain art made by dead guys a long time ago. I modified a public domain font for the game title in the title screen. I made the rest from scratch.
samw3 wrote: [*]Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music?
We used a couple of public domain sounds, and berry made an 'oof' sort of sound for when people fall down. We had ambient noise rather than music.
samw3 wrote: [*]Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? How heavily is you game influenced by other games?[/list]
Not unique. It wasn't really influenced by other games, it just happens to be similar to some other ones.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 am

Like to add to Harbrons comments that in 2010 when I joined the speedgame for first time, I remember how in the rules it mentioned about "If you make your engine from scratch, we appreciate that", and although my game didnt get quite finished etc. I anyway made the engine from the scratch and I have always felt like it didnt really weight much at all in the end. And same in years after that too, that it have seemed to me like making your own engine / making your own assets, havent really weighed much at all, and not even the size of team, but only the end product. Hence giving advantage to bigger teams / ready assets.

But about using ready assets, although I personally like more when musics are made, there is also this skill of choosing right kind of music to your game. It is also hard to decide how much music should music been given in different cases. Like lets put it this way. Harbrons team had 4 members, including musician. Now I give plus from own musics, but what about a game like mine, where there was only one making it, and i picked a ready music from defautl list. Which should be bigger plus, me possibly picking good choice of music from a list, or them making good music from scratch? Its a very hard question, and only one of many.

Perhaps we should even have its own thread here for opåinions about how to rate speedgames.

Bugala - "a thief and a liar"
One man team. Except that Dbrivera playtested my games first part when it wasnt finished yet, by my own guess, perhaps for one hour (And found one critical bug that i fixed). Then B-O tested the final product after i had already uploaded it as final, and based upon his play i still removed the cheat zone from the final version.
But other than that, one man team.
Intermediate.
RPGmaker
Except for the short dungeon part at ender part of game, all was built from scratch. That small dungeon part i took from my previous RPGmaker test project (Which whole project, in which that dungeon was half of it, took about 4 hours to make originally) and changed the scripts accordingly to fit this one to save time, since i thought i was running out of time there already.
I used RPGMaker VXAces basic versions graphics. Only exception is that there was this character creator in RPGmaker by which you can create similar looking characters by choosing options with your mouse. This I used to make main character and his face, plus one other characters face. Otherwise everything was there already in the basic package.
Similarly as in question 5, all the sounds and musics were picked from list of RPGmaker VXAces basic package. I guess i used maybe one third of the different available musics in that RPGmakers basic package.
No. First of all, RPGMaker moulds your game quite heavily into certain type, and while i perhaps didnt use RPGmaker in to its default form, I dont think it was unique. I dont think I usually make anything Unique but I recycle old things sometimes in slightly different forms. Heres a quick list of what I can figure out where inspirations came from:

First of all, I havent played "Over the moon" that have been made with RPGMaker, but I think it was that one that they advertised as not having any fights. That one have opened my mind to the idea, that you dont have to make RPGmaker game that is traditional RPG, but you can do something else with it as well.

What I liked in "Conkers bad fur day" was that basically all the enemies seemed like persons. There were only very few enemies that were clones, and mainly all the enemies in that game were unique and you were able to have some sort of conversation with them. Hence I would say that one inspired me the thought that I didnt want any random enemies wandering around, but there would be only very few fight, and all of them predecided. This also presented me the idea that I wanted all the people in my game to be persons and town feel lively. Like you would know all the people in one way or other. Although idea is slightly different, the root of the thought resides in Conkers bad fur days person-like enemies.

That I made it into puzzle game was basically because I like point´n´click games, so practically I was making Point´n´click game with RPGMaker, and when you think of thsoe puzzles and their solutions, you can actually feel that they are more like point´n´click solutions, than say, 2D zelda puzzle solutions.

This Point´n´click approach also halfly accidentally made the game open world type. I didnt even realise it was open world until someone commented "I like your open world approach". I was simply thinking that I hate when in most point´n´clicks you have to solve every single puzzle. There have however been some exceptions where you either dont need to solve every puzzle, or you have many several solutions to same problem, also I liked like in for example Monkey Island series you have several clear tasks to work on same time, hence if you are stuck at one, you can look at the other two if you can figure out something for them. Hence i decided that my approach thorughout the game would be that you wouldnt need to solve each puzzle, only some of them. This way player shouldnt get stuck just because he couldnt figure out the logic in one of my puzzles.

Also the Sam Washburnello 3rd puzzle, well, those puzzles have been around in games as long as i can figure out. And old widows puzzle solution is also quite typical kind in that you have to figure out a way to see what that NPC character does in hidden.

That the fights initiate as spiritual battles, you could think them as unique as they havent ben that much in elsewhere, but even that is not really unique, since it is more of a natural extension, which is clearly proven by Muadib having very close to same system as me, and we both made RPG game this year. Also, not to forget that "Pilgrims Progress" - game also had something somewhat similar battle thinking although not as close as Muadib and I had in our products.

You could think it is unique that games idea is to convert people, set up a church etc. but not really. It is just a story, and its roots resides in me reading some heroes of faiths books which tell about their whole life, and I was thinking it would be nice to have a game about some of their lifes, so although this is fictional, roots are there.

That your character gets older. Well, that happened in Zelda Ocarina of time already. My version is just natural extension to that one.

Fight against nuadip, you can see this kind of fights in other games too, and not to mention that i by purpose made it look like some old C64 Ikari Warriors game in sense that it scrolls in height, that you cant move screen left or right, but only upwards. Very typical scrolling of 80s, and when you beat nuadip first time (by defending against the burning arrow), then nuadip runs forward to next spot, which is very typical in many many games.

So, no. I dont really think there is anything turly unique in my game. It is just a mix of many ideas, and if i would think even further, I could probably figure out even more things where their inspirations came from.
Last edited by bugala on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Solo. I think having an artist on my team would have helped out a lot.
Intermediate. This is the second complete game that I have made using Construct 2. I have been writing code on and off for a few years, so I can’t say I’m a complete beginner, but there is still a lot I have to learn about game development.
Construct 2.
Construct 2 has some great built-in behaviors (movement, physics and collisions, animation, turret system). But it requires some exhaustive tweaking and bug-fixing to get it working the way you want it. Besides the basic built-in behaviors, everything was written from scratch.
I created all the art from scratch using Photoshop. This is where I wish I would have had an artist on my team. I enjoy making art for my games, but my skills just aren’t up to par yet.
Music and sound add a unique feel to the game. I could have created the songs myself, but I wasn’t sure what type of music would fit the best. I wanted to get it right, so I decided to go with already existing music. I listened to a bunch of different songs and compared it with the gameplay. Although I wasn’t exactly sure what I was looking for, I knew that I’d found the right song when I heard it.
When I was designing the game, I tried to use unique mechanics such as the real-time switching between light and dark worlds to advance in a level or narration and story progression using books. I also tried to add a variety of well-known elements such as boss battles, treasure chests, and story elements which are reminiscent of classic RPGs or Zelda games.
muadib

Postby muadib » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 pm

samw3 wrote:
Thank you all for an awesome SpeedGame 2014!
Game: The Reason
  1. This was a solo job. I did feel like I had to make hard choices what to fix because I was doing everything.
  2. Since this is my first completed game and third attempted game I would rate myself a beginner. To qualify that, I do have 10 years experience as a professional software engineer and have been playing games since as long as I can remember.
  3. I used Unity3D as my engine.
  4. The code was all my own written in C#. Some of it was reused from an attempted RPG I worked on previously. What I pulled over was an RPG engine I was working on. While working on my speedgame I added new features to it and fixed bugs. The biggest area I spent my time in for the code was the dialogue and cutscenes. There was also inventory management, item purchase and equipping, battle, etc. I learned a lot about how to code an RPG and how much work it takes to just make something small.
  5. The art was all open source I found from OpenGameArt.org. I dislike doing art and was very fortunate to already know about this site. All the text shown was from a font image package and I had code to print each letter, trying to figure out how to group words as well as wrapping to a new line. The player, NPCs and enemies were all individual sprites which I animated in the Unity3D animator. Each new armor piece was animated carefully to display over the character so that the player can get new items and see a difference on their character.
  6. The music and sound effects was also found from OpenGameArt.org. I've composed music myself, but I realized that I would not have time to do that for this speedgame.
  7. I think my game mechanic for using abilities is unique in an RPG. Most RPGs use a menu-based system that involves multiple clicks. My game mechanic uses a single click with swipe to choose which ability you want to use in combat. It is influenced by the Mobile game "Brave Frontier" which gave me the idea. Also, I believe the 'Pray' option to shop for new items is a unique mechanic. Most games have a shop that you have to travel to and buy items using money. In my game, praying can be done anywhere to improve your items.
Last edited by muadib on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Was this a solo job or did you have a team? How big was your team? Do you feel your team was a good size?
I worked with one other person. My team was a good size, maybe a little small, but the main issue was managing work, family and speedgame life.
How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional)
Intermediate / Semi-Pro
Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch?
I used Torque 2d.
Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch?
Pretty much all scripts are from scratch. I can't think of any exceptions. Oh, right. The console thingy that you can pull down are reused from previous things, but that's not really apart of the game.
Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art?
Primarily from scratch, but we did reuse the explosion particle effect.
Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music?
All music and sound effects were reused.
Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? How heavily is you game influenced by other games?
The basic mechanics are not unique at all, but having a non-violent shooter where you have to discover non-violence is a bit novel and artsy.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 am

This was a solo job, size of the team was good as I can do both programming and art.
I have created a few games for my own company for customers like some zoo's in Holland so I guess that makes myself a professional although I don't really see myself as a professional.
Just like Brandav I used construct2
I made everything from scratch in construct2 which already have some in-build behaviors etc. but like Brandav said this will still require a lot of bug fixing and tweaking.
All the art is created from scratch. I used illustrator for most of the objects and photoshop for some particles and effects.
The background music and some soundfx I got from the asset bundle from construct2. The text the robot speaks was created by using an online text to speech synthesizer and then I edited it in fruity loops to create a robot voice.
Typing games are not unique but the way I implemented the typing mechanic is more unique. I'm also very happy how I implemented the bible phrase.
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:04 pm

I know voting has opened already, but for those who have not voted, here are the disclosures for TeamBIO:
Was this a solo job or did you have a team? How big was your team? Do you feel your team was a good size?
A team of two: Me on the keyboard and Clean3d on art. Our team was a good size, mainly because the two of us are used to working together.
How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional)
Semi-Pro. We have done paid contract work in interactive 3D, but neither of us is currently employed in the game design industry, nor have we released any commercial titles.
Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch?
We used the Blender Game Engine.
Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch?
We used a couple of mouse interface related scripts which I wrote in the past and have shared with the BGE community ("Custom Cursor Script for 2.5+" and "MouseOver with X-Ray"). All of the other scripts and logic were from scratch.
Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art?
The crinkled paper texture was not from scratch (from mayang.com, this one I think). Everything else was created for this project.
Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music?
Existing music by Kevin Macleod
Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? How heavily is you game influenced by other games?
The mechanics are not unique. "Escape the Room" games are an established sub-genre of Point-and-Click style adventure games.
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:29 pm

For the most part, I did all of the development including asset creation and programming. My partner Edward Cruz initially helped out with game ideas. Without his creativity, I don't think I would have been able to start the game.

I'm definitely a Beginner, but to give everyone a laugh, I'll consider myself a Professional. lol
In all seriousness, this was my first project that I actually finished from start to end. Thank you Jesus.

I used the Unity3D Engine for this project. I totally wish I had the pro license, but towards the end of the project the pro trial I had ran out :/ Bummer.

All of my code was written from scratch. Not only that, but the code was sort of all over the place. I've never written over 2000+ lines of code, so this projects code was everywhere. I had C# Scripts that did multiple things, repeated code(Where there should have been a function/method), a small amount of comments, etc. It was a mess, but I just wanted everything to work.

I did use some free art from the internet to start off some of the assets. Most of the art consisted mostly of Vector images. I must say, before this project, I never knew what Vector images were. Now, I'm totally in love with vector images. So much awesome!

The music for my game I pulled straight from freesound.org. In my opinion, my music choice was awesome. The source information is listed on my site at CGDevs.org

Nah. Nothing too unique about my game mechanics. It's a rather simple side-scroller which included some mouse input for a battle system. Think of a Balloon Popping game where the player presses on balloons to pop them. Yupp, that was my game mechanic. :D

Also, I'm terribly sorry with my delay on this post.
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 am

Sorry I fell of the face of the planet for the past few weeks...
It was that I took a little vacation and got married :D
Also, I'm preparing to move to Missouri come September 1st, so I've been fairly busy as of late.
But better late than never...

Was this a solo job or did you have a team? Solo

How big was your team? Just Me, and my Dad did some voice over work for "No More Burnt Offerings"

Do you feel your team was a good size? I suppose so?

How would you rank yourself as a game developer? (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Semi-Pro, Professional) Intermediate

Which game engine/platform did you use, or did you write your own from scratch? I used Unity 3D and 2 game kits from the Unity Asset store, Unity Technologies' Sample Assets Beta & Bunt Games' Action Quiz Game

Tell us about your code! Did you use any built-in scripts or code for your game, or is it written from scratch? The majority of the code was built in but I had to create either javascripts or C# scripts for level switching, object collection, & sound effects for object collections

Tell us about your art! Did you create the game art from scratch or did you use existing art? I used art assets purchased from the Unity Asset Store

Tell us about your soundtrack and sound effects! Did you create the game soundtrack and sound effects from scratch or did you use existing music? My pickup sound effect came from the UAGK kit on the Unity Asset Store & all the musics were purchased from Smartsound.com

Would you consider your game mechanics to be unique? Not at all. Find this number of items to proceed to next level. Or answer more questions corectly than incorrectly to win. Fairly basic gaming mechanics

How heavily is you game influenced by other games? No More Burnt Offerings can kinda be influenced by Flower & Kingdom Hearts. Bible Quiz Battle by I dunno, Spiritual Warfare by Wisdom Tree Games?

Hope this helps!
brandav

Postby brandav » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Congrats sketche99!!