Selling 3d models

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

JoeJoeZ26

Selling 3d models

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:17 am

Hey guys,

Been quite busy lately, working on quite a few projects with quite a few people. But as of late, unless you count experience wise (which I highly value, don't get me wrong) the turnouts moneywise have been low. I was thinking, I make decent 3d models would it be advisable to try to sell some of my better ones I have hanging around so I can get some cash for some dev tools? If so, which sites would be advisable to sell them on? I heard a bit about Turbosquid but I'm not sure. What's your advice?

Thanks,

JJZ26
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Re: Selling 3d models

Postby JeTSpice » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:28 am

hey, i think it's a great idea. but, like you, i don't know which ones are the best. if they are non-exclusive (meaning you can post to other sites as well), then post to a bunch of them.

probably, as with any marketing, it takes awhile before people catch on to your "brand" of product, so whatever you decide to do, think about what you can do consistently over a long period of time.
Zookey

Postby Zookey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 am

If you are planning to do it seriously--I'd contact your local Small Business Development Center to see if they can get you some help on the general legal work--what I mean is making sure you have your ducks in a row so people, when buying them, are not buying the rights too or buying exclusivity.

I am all for small business and wish you luck dude--just remember it is a lot of back-work on that stuff and, before making a sale, make sure you have yourself protected!

Also, with game dev gear, I don't know if anyone caught this but you can now use Unity 3D (http://www.unity3D.com) and Unreal 3 (http://www.udk.com) for free as an indy (UDK can't be used commercially but you can upgrade to a commercial license if need be and, on top of that, if you want to make a tech demo to pitch for funding you can use it to that end)--so that is a really nice thing right there--I know on our end (Team KAIZEN) it has been a god send--we are debating ATM between Unity 3D or UE3 and will make a final decision tomorrow!
In Life there is Rockstars and Cover Bands: Which one are you??
http://www.teamkaizengames.com
Team KAIZEN Independent Video Game Studio
VisionaryCynic

Postby VisionaryCynic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Recently I've been selling a few textures on The 3d Studio and I'm quite happy with it. You get a sixty percent royalty and can also post your content to other sites. I have also used Turbosquid and Flat Pyramid, but haven't gotten any sales there.
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Craigslist...
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:21 pm

I use turbosquid. If you sign up to sell exclusively through them you get better royalties and special data views (like most searched items).

I can't pretend that I've made a lot of money doing it, about 100 bucks in 5 years, but then again I haven't worked on it very seriously.

You can see my work there at http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artist ... ameBrewers. I'll tell you right now that the best sellers are the Wii and my cheap version of the Enfield rifle.
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Kukanani wrote:I'll tell you right now that the best sellers are the Wii and my cheap version of the Enfield rifle.
Not even the Roman Gladiator Sword?
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Well, it has the most downloads (about 90 I think), but I don't make anything off it 'cuz it's free.

The Wii has the highest ratio of purchases to views of all of my products - no surprise since I spent the most time on it of all the models by far.

It seems to be that technology, architecture, and weaponry are the most sought-after products.
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1