Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

LegaianLight

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what your working on.

Postby LegaianLight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Brandon...that is AMAZING! Well Done! Reminds me a bit of Kingdom Hearts (a complement). Nice!
Is the opposite of Programming Congramming? Or is it Regramming? Sometimes this language just makes no sense...
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Yes! Another Blitzer! :D

Looks awesome Brandon.
jari

Postby jari » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 am

Thank God for the strength He gave me to work on VoHW and Darkening!
Darkening is now at 0.6 beta 3 version which has new features.

Lava

Postby Lava » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Brandon, by the way, what did you use to light map that scene?

Many thanks
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm

I do belive Brandon's an Old CCN member, is he not? (if not, somone on CCN had the same username as you.. i vaugely remember that much..)

if so:
GOLD LETTERS!

Every new person should be presnted with a medal or something like that.

And wow: You guys are working on some great games there!
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:58 pm

RM: Gold Letters isn't for every old member, just the ones who posted alot. (like QuestLeader)

Brandon: Yay! Another Blitzer! Cool project.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:35 pm

mastallama that's not a bad idea! The work that I've done in Blitz3D isn't much yet. Once I get into some of the gritty code I can definitely post up some of what I did... well unless anyone would be interested in environment modeling and texturing in blender, and then using giles to lightmap, and get it into Blitz? :)

LegaianLight thanks that's a great compliment and I appreciate it!

Thanks Mack!

Hey Lava, I used gile[s] , which is totally awesome btw, http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=products&section=giles&sub=about

The lightmapping tools and functions are top-notch, and you can even add additional detail to the lightmap by painting onto your meshes (which I did in the pic above.)

Hiya Realm Master, I am an OLD CCN member! Thanks for remembering ME! I feel so young now... with my number of posts being under 10 and all.

Thanks Mene-mene for the compliment. I've used probably all of the most notable indie-loved game engines out there, and Blitz seems to be good enough to make any non-next-generation game that one could want.
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:50 am

yup... blitz rocks...
but now I am seriously contemplating switching over to C$ (not chikensoup, but the language) becasue... its supported by XNA... and developing a game for my xbox sounds sweet.

Plus I would finally get to use inheritence! :roll: There are so many times when i wish blitz had that.. :shock:
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
Mike

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:30 am

Debating between three things.

Gicing PC to bluetooth code another shot - I have learned alot since my last try.

MPG calculator and fuel/expense tracker for the cell phone

Small game for the cell phone - (converting pyrism to it - a game I wrote for the PC and linux)

Mike
PFC

Postby PFC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Mack: Pyrism looks cool!

Edit: its fun too!!!!
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Fuel calculator would probably get a ton of downloads!
Lava

SpaceJourney

Postby Lava » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Here is project I started a little less than a year ago, I stopped working on it because of school, and sometimes a lack of motivation. But after working on a fan game of mine I made some progress which helped me with this project. So I picked SpaceJourney back up and I might be able to work on it till I get a workable demo for release.

SpaceJourney is a game where you're a space pilot floating across the galaxy exploring the unknown. You're the sole commander of your ship and you command it manually unlike most space games where you control your vessel from outside. Through your travels you'll run into hazards and enemy star ships ready to annihilate you, all of which you will battle, either manually or through your ship's systems.

I have alot of the bigger details done, you can use the crosshairs to shoot the spider (see below), but I have not simulated actually killing it. So I have made progress with the bigger details, I just to have add more of the gameplay.

I posted this project before on CCN, which I doubt anyone remembers. But I did make some cosmetic changes from before, like the stars and there is now a glass-like graphic to simulate the space suit's helmet.

Some enemies you'll fight...

First look of the interior:

Status screen:

Navigation and Defense Controls:

Last look of the interior (with the shields on):
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 pm

That's awesome LAVA! I didn't remember the game, or the name, but I remember the graphic design. I like the controls, can't wait to play, I know a little B3d, but I doubt I'd be much use, what are you working on?

Have you considered Joystick support?
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:37 pm

I've been several days without a steady internet connection so I've been using my spare time to focus more on learning the Unity 2.0 game engine.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
ChickenSoup

Postby ChickenSoup » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Haha, nice. I seriously want an MMO where you fly spaceships from the inside. You take control, have gunners, navigators, etc., and you could deploy on different worlds, scout out areas, etc...

That gets me so excited. I need to learn to program.
If grammar is for squares...

...call me a cube.
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:31 pm

That's cool. So most space games, you just say "fly here" and it shows your spaceship flying or something?

When you said "manually" I thought of WaterWorld, where Kevin Costner had to jump and swing all around his boat to get it to go where he wanted.

Will there be risk of crashing or flying off-course or anything?
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:59 pm

Mene-Mene wrote:That's awesome LAVA! I didn't remember the game, or the name, but I remember the graphic design. I like the controls, can't wait to play, I know a little B3d, but I doubt I'd be much use, what are you working on?

Have you considered Joystick support?

I am using Blitz3D.

I'm not so sure about joystick support as controlling the ship, most of it will be done within the ship, which I am still undecided how I will do it. I thought of having 2 different control options, one is what I call "StarJumping", where you pick a spot on a space map and travel to that location at high speeds, the equivalent technology would be the Warp Drive or Hyperdrive from Star Trek and Star Wars. This would be good for long distances if I was to make a larger universe. Plus I might make it where you can only StarJump to where you've been.

Then there's "primary thrusters" like the pictures show, which would be used for shorter distances, the part I am undecided about is how to steer the ship, I could have it where you control the ship by pressing a left and right button on the UI, which could turn the ship manually as you fly, then there's the option of selecting objects on your view screen and having the ship automatically fly towards it.

Having to steer the ship would be tedious, and selecting objects on a screen might be hard to do being that you wouldn't be able to see everything at a certain distance, and it would take away some manual parts about it. But then again this would be for shorter distances, so if you steered your ship a little it wouldn't be a big deal if your destination is a short distance, same with seeing things on a screen. Then there's the last option of having both methods, but I am more leaning towards the "steering" idea.

Mack wrote:Yay Lava FPS!

LOL :mrgreen:

ChickenSoup wrote:Haha, nice. I seriously want an MMO where you fly spaceships from the inside. You take control, have gunners, navigators, etc., and you could deploy on different worlds, scout out areas, etc...

That gets me so excited. I need to learn to program.

Yeah, and that's alot of what fueled this idea. I want to make it as open ended as possible and really where you can go at your pace.

I thought about the planet idea, but at this point it would take serious amounts of processing and skill to make. Without making it where you just explore one little area of a planet. But if I go far with this, I do want to add other areas of exploration such as space stations and maybe even other ships.

JeTSpice wrote:That's cool. So most space games, you just say "fly here" and it shows your spaceship flying or something?

Yeah pretty much, and in most games maintaining the ship is also very automatic.

JeTSpice wrote:Will there be risk of crashing or flying off-course or anything?

Yes, there will be meteors that will crash into and damage your ship, which can also be a source where some of the spiders and some bacteria could come from. Also, if I expand the game quite a bit there would be "quests" where you could dock at a space station and find it infested with insects. So you'll probably be able to accidentally fly into the station.
mastallama

Postby mastallama » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 pm

If you built it with expansions in mind (planets, stations, etc) you could start off with a smaller set of star systems and have them fed into the program from an external file. Then you could release expansions adding star systems and planets without having to re-release the game each time or it taking forever to get very far. Basically build the engine and a bit of content releasing more content as time passes.
This is my signature. :?
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, and maybe you could do something to make it user-content driven. (I'm on a user-driven soapbox kick)

The content can be made from pre-defined blocks (like legos) and monster parts (arms, wings, legs, torsos, etc.). And people can snap them together. Each part can have it's own functionality. So people can quickly create monsters and planets and cities and stuff. And then, if you make new content, you don't have to make an entire monster, but just a new part, and it can bring a lot more variability to the game.

Another idea -- create within the engine a code which averages the positions of vertices of two similar mesh models, and also blends their textures. A user can then pick a human and an alligator (for instance) and use a slider to merge the two together, creating a character that is 90% human and 10% croc, or 50-50 or whatever.

Okay, lots of work, but maybe it's for a time in the future.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:31 pm

I wrote some cheap little image viewer in C# on Sunday to let me flip an image in the X or Y direction. I was having a problem at work where my image was printing Y-flipped (using MFC/C++) and I was looking to see how to flip an image in C#. I eventually figured out how to get the image printed correctly in MFC today.

I also started extending the little app to display EXIF/metadata for the image. You can see some of that data in the grid.

My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?