Dev Blog | Exevalon

Moderator: samw3

ExevaloN

Dev Blog | Exevalon

Postby ExevaloN » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi all, my name is Raul Rivera Arroyo, i'm a game designer, concept artist, illustrator and graphic designer from Puerto Rico. I've followed this site for quite a long time, posted a bit here and there and participated in a SpeedArt challenge once too. However after a time this place simply fell off my radar, not for any reason in particular, it just happened. I started visiting less and less. However I always kept my email attached just in case, to keep me somehow connected. Well, I got the email about this year's speedgame and I felt that it would be great if I came around and participated. And so here I am! My first Speedgame Challenge participation. I've read everyone's dev blog and all the ideas sound so interesting. Im looking forward to every one of your concepts!

Day 1 - Design and Exploration phase

Speedgame - Warrior (prototype name)

The verse of Ephesians 6:12 will be my central theme, while I will probably use the verse of Romans 10:9 as a secondary theme. Basically at its essence, there are powers that cannot be defeated by ones own mortal strength. You require that of a greater power, and not just any power, but that of God. But it isnt just recognizing God, its also knowing that in Him is the power, the glory and salvation. So that you yourself may achieve victory and ultimately, salvation.

Gamestyle - Action/RPG - Sidescroller

Influenced by games like Ys, Wonderboy in Monster World, Golden Axe, Castlevania and Sword of Vermilion, my aim is to create a rather simple yet fun game that may echo the quality and depth of those games, gameplay wise. Im considering three things here. Basically a first-person view in exploration, an overworld view in towns/world map and a sidescroller for combat. I may implement all three, or just two. The first-person view seems the hardest to implement at the moment, so I'll leave it at the bottom of the list. Gamemaker is my weapon of choice for creating this game.

Assets - (not exhaustive)

Main character, few NPCs (maybe two or three), 3 Enemy types (two ground, one aerial), One Boss, Environment props, Power Ups

Will try to maintain simplicity. Get basic assets in, basic engine build and then start working upwards, detailing and polishing. Two weeks is my timeline since I've already lost 6 days. I'll be making the art myself, aswell as code. Music and sounds, I'll probably end up using free-license ones. I have a program to create them, but not sure If i'll have the time to learn it and apply it. (I've had it for a year or so but I have yet to really understand it comfortably). Its called Sunvox and its a pretty handy tool.

Story

A warrior sets out for revenge when his/her village is destroyed by strange creatures. Blinded by rage, he/she never realized how insufficient his/her power was. Defeated, broken, but not dead, a strange light comes upon him/her and offers a second chance. As a voice begins to speak to him/her, he/she is filled with an overbearing sense of hope, security and peace. He/she is offered another chance, through God or through himself/herself again. If he/she accepts through God, he/she will be granted the weapons needed to defeat this enemy darker than night and just as ancient. But he/she must release his/her hatred, he/she must believe and trust. For if not, he/she will not only lose on the battlefield of the body, but also that of the heart. (unsure if main character will be male or female yet)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I spent the day writing some ideas, exploring options and doing research. I looked up the game influences mentioned above to better visualize what Im going for. Read up on pulling off a First-Person perspective like alot of those 90s dungeon crawler RPG games, how it was done, and whats the logic and structure behind it. Im better informed but Im not sure I can pull it off in time code-wise. Cause although I understand code, when it comes time to apply and write it, it takes a bit more effort from me. And I already need to do the sidescroller portion and overworld view portion. So I'll concentrate on that and in the end, if I have everything I need in place, I'll try to polish it all up some more. Story-wise the game will play like a short story instead of an arcadey kind of game. If I like the concept alot, I'll probably end up improving upon it in the future.

So this wraps up day 1 from me! Its all pretty loose still but I hope to tie it all up between tommorow or after that. Try to get a strong foundation, organize a pipeline and get this game done in the allotted time.
Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
samw3
Site Admin

Re: Dev Blog | Exevalon

Postby samw3 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Wow! This seems like quite a project.. The story sounds great! Looking forward to it.

God Bless!

Sam
Berryijmker

Postby Berryijmker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:09 am

Great you are participating in this year's speedgame and sounds like a nice project, I'm very curious.
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Day 2 - Concept Art and Sketches

So I did a few sketches and concepts today. The main characters, male and female variant, some possible NPCs and enemies, and an Overworld sketch.

The overworld was done in graph paper, then I did a simple paintover in Gimp. I used some desaturated colors as it gives me a chance to play around with the mood. Right now its dark and bland becuase evil roams across the land. But once its ridden of it, the colors will look much brighter and alive. The rest are some digital sketches as I search for ideas.

Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Lightbringer creed
dylenbrivera

Postby dylenbrivera » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm

How awesome! I can't wait for this! Being artistic is so great. Looking forward to your next post!
Dylen Brandon Rivera
Google+ Dylenbrivera
Skype Username: Dylenbrivera
Personal Blog - http://Dylenbrandon.com
Christian Game Developers http://CGDevs.org
Christian Game Developers Facebook Page http://facebook.com/CGDevs
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:20
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Day 3 - Pipeline, Further Concepts, Asset List, Structuring

So today I've structured my workflow better by writing down the different phases of development im going to go through. Im done with the Design phase, and now finishing up the Preparation phase. The Asset list is done, though I still have some algorithims to do which will help when im coding in the production phase. After that, i'll do a few more concepts, and then I move on to the Production phase, where I start to build my game engine, assets, animations, and the basic bread and butter of the game.

At the moment im doing a little more research on RPG coding for things that I've struggled in the past with and to brush up on things that Im not quite sure of yet.

Here is my Asset List:

Male Main Character - Animations
NPC 1 - Priest
NPC 2 - Blacksmith
NPC 3 - Child
Creature 1 - Animations
Creature 2 - Animations
Creature 3 - Animations
Boss - Animations
Overworld
Level 1a - Dead Path
Level 1b - Dead Forest
Level 1c - Dead Cave
Power-Up - Life
Power-Up - Special Power
Divine Sword
Divine Shield
Divine Armor

If time allows, I plan on doing animations for the three NPCs, while also creating the town they are in, but as it stands now, you'll probably only be able to see them through a cut-scene of sorts. Also, if possible and I get everything done and still have time on my hands, I will add two more NPC characters. If I still have more time, I'll see to it on adding the female main character with animations.

Here is my development pipeline:

Design Phase - Preparation Phase - Production Phase - Post-Production Phase - Delivery Phase

The design phase is where I set the theme and story, the basic idea of the game and the gameplay, acknowledge my timetable, and write down my asset list. Preparation phase is where I create my concepts and sketches, get the project file ready in Game Maker, and write some algorithms. The production phase is where I create the assets, engine, animations, levels and bring them together. And also implement sounds and music to be used. I'll probably spend the greatest amount of time here. Post-Production phase is the prettying up of everything and smoothing out kinks in the armor (read:bug fixing). Delivery phase is when the game is locked and loaded and ready to roll. I should be finished with the Preparation phase today, and if possible will start the Production phase. If not, then I will start the Production Phase tommorow.

I'm feeling pretty excited with the posibilities of this project! :P I'll make another post later tonight!
—Lightbringer creed
muadib

Postby muadib » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Nice artwork. I can see you have thought through the process quite a bit. I look forward to seeing more and playing the game.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Some more concepts from today. Human and divine weapon and armor comparisons for the main character. And some level concepts. Planning on going for a painterly style for the level designs, something simple yet effective. So these concepts might not reflect the final product, but the idea is there in the colors, saturations and themes.

Pathway to the Dead Forest

Dead Forest

Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
—Lightbringer creed
muadib

Postby muadib » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah, painterly is pretty good. I'm using some of his art in my game. But yours is pretty good too!

Violinist/Violist
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:52 am

muadib wrote:Yeah, painterly is pretty good. I'm using some of his art in my game. But yours is pretty good too!
Wait, there's someone called Painterly?

What I meant in my post was that I want to paint my environments instead of going the pixel art route.
—Lightbringer creed
muadib

Postby muadib » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Someone uses that as a username on the site I use to get art.

Violinist/Violist
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Looking *really* nice. Keep up the good work!

God Bless!

Sam
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 pm

muadib wrote:Someone uses that as a username on the site I use to get art.
Ah I see.
samw3 wrote:Looking *really* nice. Keep up the good work!

God Bless!

Sam
Thanks Sam!

Day 4 - Further Research, Level Overviews

Well today I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. Nonetheless, my work consisted of looking up several game examples for level construction, and creating my level overviews to have an idea how Its going to play out and its length.

Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:28 am

Day 5 - Production Phase

A day later than I expected but im still okay as I got plenty of time still left. I wouldn't be surprised if I spend a week or so on this phase. This is when I begin to create the assets that will be used ingame, the levels, the code, the engine, the animations. And since Im basically doing things from scratch, I got my work cut out for me. Hooray! Well, hope to post things throughout the day. Blessings to everyone and keep up the good work!
—Lightbringer creed
achild

Postby achild » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Oh hey wow this is beautiful!
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:13 pm

achild wrote:Oh hey wow this is beautiful!
Thank you achild!

Well so far i've been able to start up a basic platforming engine. Jumping, movement, gravity. Some quirks here and there, but hey, this is the beginning of something great! It supposed to be raw and rough around the edges. Used one of the level overviews, and scaled it to act as a placeholder for the actual level. I should soon start to pretty it up, and have an actual character later on. We'll see.

midnight edit: 12:43am

Been messing around trying to get my placeholder character to work correctly with the physics and gravity. Its more or less there, but still needs work. Once I get movement in correctly, that will lessen the amount of issues I may have when I start putting in the actual characters with animations. However not much else was accomplished today. So I'll continue in the morning with the new day.
Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Day 6 - Production Phase Continued

Sorry for the late post. The day was spent continuing code working. Tried a different method the day before, didnt work so I spent the time I was able to allot to my game project on changing things up code wise. Got it all working again, but its not perfect. Saturday is going to be a difficult day to work on this becuase of all the things I got going on, but I'll try to cram something in so my production doesn't slow down.
—Lightbringer creed
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Day 7 - Production Phase Continued

So as I figured, Saturday was a rough day for me so hardly anything was done. But not wanting to leave a day hanging I figured I'd post some more about my thought process and where I want to go with this graphically.

My plans for getting the engine up and running are as follows. First I want to get the movement and jumping done, using my placeholders. Once that is in effect, I will proceed to test attacks. Here, I will need to sprite the hero character, and atleast one enemy, and the level aswell. So this will require the Hero sprite and his attack and movement animations, one enemy and its attack and movement animations, and completing the painting of the level. After that works well, the basic meat and potatoes of the engine will be done. The rest of the work will just be a question of adding the rest of the enemies with their attack and movement animations, the boss character and his attack and movement animations, and whatever other asset the level will have that may react to player input. Then complete the other two levels and that should wrap up the gameplay.

I'll need to add a small introduction with the NPCs to give some context on why our hero is going out of his way to destroy evil. Which I originally mentioned of doing in a cutscene of sorts. I don't think I will be able to add the town as I wanted to. But we'll see. As of right now, movement and jumping is working, its not perfect but its working. So my next step is working on the hero and an enemy to test attack animations and properly presenting the first level as a testbed.

Also, visually speaking, I'd like to make the game in a 16:9 aspect ratio, with a screen resolution of 720p. So I mocked up a screen and partitioned some sizes, dividing the space in different percentages, and accomodating the elements as they would look best on screen. Our hero is a mere 37.5% tall sprite and only 12.5% wide when scaled against the screen size, thats about a 3/1 ratio, Height to Width. So that leaves plenty of breathing space for other elements on screen when it comes to scale. Aesthetically, the character is just the right size for this sidescroller. The boss character is double the height of our hero character at 75% tall and is about 15% wide. A 5/1 ratio, height to width. The advantage of this is I now know the right sizes for my sprites and have an idea for the total length of each level.

Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Lightbringer creed
muadib

Postby muadib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Good thought into the screen layout. Not sure I thought about things this much. Look forward to playing it.

Violinist/Violist
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Day 8 - Production Phase Continued

So I dedicated a few hours sunday on doing some animations. Then spent another few hours fixing and adjusting. All in between a hectic day. Still needs work, but here is my first batch of animations. The idle stance animations.

Also, finally have a name for this guy! Joshua...
Last edited by ExevaloN on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Lightbringer creed