Dev blog | TeamBIO

Moderator: samw3

Clean3d

Dev blog | TeamBIO

Postby Clean3d » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Hey everyone! We're a bit late getting up to speed, but would it be a speedgame otherwise? This year, blendenzo and I are making a point and click game. We're keeping details secret for now, but here an image of some of the rooms we're working on. Things are going pretty smoothly!

sketche99

Re: Dev blog | TeamBIO

Postby sketche99 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:17 am

That looks really nice! Can't wait to see more!
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 am

Clean3d wrote:Hey everyone! We're a bit late getting up to speed, but would it be a speedgame otherwise? This year, blendenzo and I are making a point and click game. We're keeping details secret for now, but here an image of some of the rooms we're working on. Things are going pretty smoothly!

Looking forward to it!
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
achild

Postby achild » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:49 am

Those are beautiful
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Progress is being made... once again we will probably run down to the line. Didn't help that both of us (especially me) had such limited availability this year, but w/e. Looking forward to playing everyone else's games.

We will at least release a web version of the game (Linux and Windows) by the deadline. Can't promise a downloadable Windows binary by that time.

blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 am

Here is our game! Web version only right now. Requires the Burster plugin (for playing Blender games)

Web Version: http://teambio.blendenzo.com/games/spee ... -2014.html

Plugin is here (game tested with v 1.5.5, should work with newer):
http://www.geta3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=18

Enjoy! I'm looking forward to everyone else's games.

Windows Binary:
Windows 32-bit (tested on XP, also runs in WINE)
Windows 64-bit (tested on Win7, fresh install)
Linux Binary:
Linux 64-bit
Linux 32-bit
Mac Binary:
OSX (10.6 and up. Tested on Mavericks)

(edit 1: added Linux 64-bit)
(edit 2: added Windows 32-bit)
(edit 2015-12-12: links were dead. fixed.)
Last edited by blendenzo on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
b-o

Postby b-o » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 am

I installed burster, but I still couldn't get this game to run.
brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Same here. Firefox didn't recognize that any Burster plugin had been installed.
brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm loving the strong metaphors TeamBIO! Very cool.
b-o

Postby b-o » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 pm

waiting for windows 64 version
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 am

Okay... all of the versions are up now. I know for certain that the Windows and Mac ones work out of the box. (Clean3D will test on Windows 8 tomorrow, as I don't have access to that.)

The Linux ones were tested on Mint 13, which is a couple years old, and on my customized development platform at that. You might have to make a symlink to get it to find your python libraries. If you can't figure that out, run the Windows 32-bit in WINE.
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I tried it once, and after I lit the candle I couldn't do anything else. I tried it again and it started working correctly until I clicked on the door after getting the raincoat and umbrella, then the screen went white and all I could see was the bird cage.. couldn't do anything after that. I also got some error messages about translations or something before it loaded. The part that I did get to try was sort of like interactive poetry.
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 am

b-o wrote:then the screen went white and all I could see was the bird cage..
That was the end of the game. Sorry that didn't come across clearly. I've noticed from watching several people play the game that some of the metaphors and delivery could stand to be refined. Glad to hear the game started working for you!
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

I am having problem with your game.

If i use the browser version (used firefox and explorer), mouse pointer doesnt move anywhere.

If i use WinXP, then it is soundless.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 am

I tried with wifes computer, which is win7 and 64-bit, still no luck. Browser gave me music, but only glitched graphics and no mosue pointer moving around the screen. Problem is probably since she has only a 2D card, and this was geta3d.

Hence a question. Is there any other sound in this game, but that background music and does it stay the same throughout the game?

If it is so, then i could simply start browser version with this machine to get the background music, and then play the xp version, since it seems to work otherwise, but soundless.
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 pm

bugala wrote:Hence a question. Is there any other sound in this game, but that background music and does it stay the same throughout the game?

If it is so, then i could simply start browser version with this machine to get the background music, and then play the xp version, since it seems to work otherwise, but soundless.
The background music is the only sound, and it does remain the same song throughout the game. What you are suggesting would work fine. I'm not sure what could be causing the sound not to work on XP. I did test it on XP, and the sound was working for me.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 am

Finally got to play this game. It was shorter than i expected.

Personally Im a fan of Point´n´click games, and hence this entry was speicifically to my liking.

First thing that pops in my head when thinking of this game, is how well you built the puzzles in such a way that they were perhaps all methaphors, for i have to say that i couldnt comkpletely understand the cellars metaphors.

I understood that first of all you need a source of light (also it talks in bible that light is not put under table, but on top of table etc), after light have been revealed to you, you can see the world and throw it away, from which you will get cross, and cross opens your prisons door.

After that I suppose the idea was just getting more filled with spirit or something like that in cellar. After which you got up and were able to set the spirit free and I especially liked your interpretation about Full armor of God and how you need it to bare the stormy weather. It was very good interpretation also in sence that even you have your rain coat, its still not that nice going in taht stormy weather, which is true for the full armor of God too. While indeed full armor of God is necessary, even when you have it, its not that easy as just walking around. Hence I actually think that your figure of speech is in some sense even better than Pauls armor of God figure of speech, since with this one you right away understand that even with that raincoat, its still not going to be fun walking around in that storm.

Another thing that i felt positively about was that although puzzles were even bit too easy (especially when Mack had spoiled one third of them in his video), there were quite many of them. That your game actually felt quite full. I remember how there was this time in point n click games when it was very typical that each screen had only one puzzle to solve, and that was quite boring approach. This on the other hand made me feel like everything had its purpose, that you had lots of stuff there and many fo them were used for puzzles, making it give me a feel that i was able to do anything in your world, even in reality i was quite limited in my doings, like you actually always are in point´n´clicks.

I would have definetily liked this game having been longer, but in this small time you had stuffed a lot of stuff in this game making it feel very full and satisfying experience playing it, and definetily wanting more, especially when the puzzles were quite well thought. Its not easy to put several puzzles in same screen and still amke them feel naturally connected, that is exactly, i suppose, why at that one point in point´n´click history they had only one puzzle per screen, since that was much easier to make and get the game seem bigger. With all the stuff you had in your game, someone could have in those worse days already made a full game by putting each of the puzzle pieces in their own screen.

I liked the background music. It set the mood quite nicely in place. Unfortunately you didnt have any other sounds (or at least thats what you said, since i had to play with background music playing on browser, and game actualyl playing on XP soundless to get it to work at all).

Also the end demo was both bit confusing and disappointing in sense that it felt like you didnt quite have time to make it. It is good there at least is one, although it might look a lot like a bug. Also, the first time i first took the umbrella and raincoat, and then released bird, making it not open to me what was the need of the reaincoat and umbrella until i played it again specifically opening bird cage first to see if there is any need for those two. But that is a minor thing again. Just pointing out so you can take into consideration in future, since things like that are hard to catch yourself.

Graphics were very nice and set a nice mood for the game as well. Actually the whole mood of the game was very good. But that mood also made me think of Galileo Galilei for some reason. I was all the time drawn to thought of this game being about Galileo Galilei, that he was there in the attic. I guess its the sphere, the earth, the candle, the coloring looking like something ancient greek, and the music all that brought me that thought all the time in that attic.

By the way, i encountered one bug the first time i played today. I checked all the stuff in dark, then i lit the candle, and it seems the cnadle did get fire, but it didnt lit properly since the light didnt get full, and it stayed dark, and wouldnt accept me to lit the candle again. So I had to restart the game.

Anyway, all in all, I enjoyed playing this game. Very stuffy in positive sense, too short since i would have wanted more, nice graphics, nice atmosphere, excellent metaphors, brilliant version of armor of god to explain it to modern man in more understandable and familiar way. Unfortunately it seems you ran out of time leaving the end demo somewhat confusing, but otherwise very good game, and puzzles surely were christian mechanic way excellent.
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:27 pm

I can seem to only get to the part where you leave through the door. Then the screen turns white except for the birdcage. Am I missing something?
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Thats the end. You completed the game.
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh, wow... that was short....

Well... it was fun while it lasted. Just wish there was more.

Graphics seemed just right for what you were going for. The only thing I can think of is letting me know I completed the game so I get that satisfaction.
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8

Return to “Old SpeedGame Discussion”