Game Assets and "Lay up your treasures"

Discuss topics, questions, answers, etc. here!

Moderator: samw3

Isaiah222

Re: Game Assets and "Lay up your treasures"

Postby Isaiah222 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Kasey_Dee wrote:Hello fellow game devs!

I'm using Unity game engine and as an indie, I purchase assets from the asset store as I can't make all these models myself (I work full-time in an unrelated field and am the family income source).

Often I feel guilty purchasing assets as the Bible states to "Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven". I do wish to live for eternity and not items on earth "where moth and thieves".

I want to use my game dev talents for the glory of God, but I don't want to use that to "justify" purchasing assets instead of giving it to missions (which I try to do, too). Or should I "deny myself" and put my money into missions instead of game assets and tools. I love game development and that's where my "after work" time goes. But I feel guilty about it. Is this my "talent" given by God or...?

Your thoughts?

A bible verse comes to mind, Romans 14:23: “But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.”

I say; pray about it. I do not want to make you do something that go against your conscience.

But here is a thought: If you buy a cookie, do you feel bad that you did not give that money to offertory? We humans spend money on a lot of unnecessary fun stuff – also Christians, also me. But I do not think developing christian games is unnecessary. Perhaps one lost soul will see the light through one of your games or a Christian with little faith will be strengthened because of your game.

Pray about it until you are confident how you should act.
jzak

Postby jzak » Tue May 16, 2017 8:23 am

Hello Kasey_Dee,

I see your struggle. First off, thank you for posting and sharing.
I'm curious, what kind of game are you working on?

There are a few things you can possible consider that might not be a quick solution:

One is you can reach out to the community, post a "wanted" artist/modeler for your asset needs.
You can list paid or unpaid, but at least you get to try to drum up interest in your game and see if others can help.
If you can't find people in this forum you can always try other active game development sites. Try Polycount.

Another thing you can do is develop a game where it is aligned with God desires, that all might be saved.
If you're developing a game that could allow people to share their faith, understand God's word more, relate to a struggle and how God deals with righteous vs ungodly,
connect with how God's law reveals we are sinful people and desperately need the Savior therefore proving we need to repent and trust whole-heartedly in Jesus alone.
Then justifying spending money in the Unity asset store is noble. What's the goal of your game? Is it for His glory or yours?

Keep using your talents for the Lord.

-JZak-
b-o

Postby b-o » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Do you consider buying game assets (which you use as a tool to complete a project) to be the storing up of treasures? You might want to read some commentaries on the passage of scripture convicting you.

Vincent word studies says : "Lay not up treasures (μὴ θησαυρίξετε) Lit., treasure not treasures. So Wyc., Do not treasure to you treasures. ..."

JFB:"Lay not up for ourselves treasures upon earth--hoard not. "

Barnes: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth - Treasures, or wealth, among the ancients, consisted in clothes or changes of raiment, as well as in gold, silver, gems, wine, lands, and oil. It meant an abundance of “anything” that was held to be conducive to the ornament or comfort of life. As the Orientals delighted much in display, in splendid equipage, and costly garments, their treasures, in fact, consisted much in beautiful and richly-ornamented articles of apparel. See Gen_45:22, where Joseph gave to his brethren “changes of raiment;” Jos_7:21, where Achan coveted and secreted “a goodly Babylonian garment.” Compare also Jdg_14:12. This fact will account for the use of the word “moth.” When we speak of “wealth,” we think at once of gold, and silver, and lands, and houses. When a Hebrew or an Orientalist spoke of wealth, he thought first of what would make a “display;” and included, as an essential part, splendid articles of dress. The “moth” is a small insect that finds its way to clothes and garments, and destroys them. The “moth” would destroy their apparel, the “rust” their silver and gold; thus all their treasure would waste away. The word rendered “rust” signifies anything which “eats into,” and hence, anything which would consume one’s property, and may have a wider signification than mere rust."

Are you hoarding an abundance of something? Do you see a difference between buying 30 pairs of designer shoes and buying 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of work boots, and 1 pair of business shoes? Or are both examples of "hoarding" an abundance of treasure? Is there a time to buy assets, or can you never buy anything? Ecc 3:1 To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
Ecc 3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
Ecc 3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

Joh 12:5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
Joh 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
Joh 12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
Joh 12:8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.
mikale

Postby mikale » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am

Also, welcome to the forums Kasey!
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 am

hey hey,

Just figure to point out a couple things, since this is something I deal with as well - although more generally, in how I consider using any resource.

It could absolutely be a complete waste. A futile effort of your own devising.

;)

However. It might be God's plan; it might be for the redemption of people.

The question is whether its God's plan for you. And what you can put resources to in good conscience. To that end...all I can say is pray about it.

On to a related point, putting money down for an established mission is a safe bet while game development never will be. But failure doesn't mean it was wasted effort (/money/whatever); no more than a soldier entering no man's land to save a mate and them both dieing is a waste. In one sense, it would be a waste yet it would also be a worthwhile bet that didn't pay off (or did: said mate wouldn't die alone, at least).

That said, I think of any christian game dev as high risk-high reward investment. I wouldn't do it if I wasn't personally convicted to...but the risk/reward is still worth it, because a game could tell the gospel in such a way that it might reach countless people. Especially those who have heard a watered down gospel. People who, were you to try to tell them about Jesus directly, would reject you outright because of their knowledge of counterfeits (not that I mean we should sneak it in - rather, that we'd tell stories like narnia).

Of course, I find myself convicted of selfishly wasting time/resources often enough without considering decisions of good vs better. A few times this was asset purchases - things I bought for reasons that didn't relate much to what I was doing, I simply got caught up with something cool. I'll have no regrets over assets I bought intending to use to make a game that tells the gospel, though.

Return to “Faith Talk, Prayer Requests/Praise & Bible Studies”