CGDC 2008 - Random Captures

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
GraceWorks

CGDC 2008 - Random Captures

Postby GraceWorks » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:18 am

Mack asked me to start a thread. I'll have to beg some pictures as I don't have a camera.

Day 2 - well, my back was sore from the dorm bed last night, this time I got a charlie horse in my leg!

Some great talks yesterday - Chris Skaggs in particular on his story how God took care of his trip to Boston a couple of years back to talk about Christian Games.

Will post more later - have to go yell at the pizza place for tonight.

-Tim
David Lancaster

Re: CGDC 2008 - Random Captures

Postby David Lancaster » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Nice to hear the updates :) Can't wait to see pics Tim!
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 am

This year's conference has been pretty nice despite the last-minute planning that's been going on. There are a lot of new people to network with and they're all doing some awesome projects. And of course, the debut of Chariots was the main talk of the conference this year :)
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:44 am

Exodus wrote:This year's conference has been pretty nice despite the last-minute planning that's been going on. There are a lot of new people to network with and they're all doing some awesome projects. And of course, the debut of Chariots was the main talk of the conference this year :)

Plus Laurene's Team won perseverance award!
Farthest travelled was SEUNGSUK from Korea! He works for mgame.com

Not sure I should be offended by Rebecca's "Last-minute planning" jab - but I can apply the book I won - How to deal with difficult people! :) :x :shock:

Charlie won a signed copy of Chariots for excellent contribution and planning.

Definitely enjoyed Dan Olds' movie last night, Song Man.
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:26 am

I had some notes yesterday but the browser messed up! :(

This morning (Saturday), Jay Moore is sharing his experiences on what opportunities exist now and what pitfalls to avoild. He recommends that you hone your skills at making good games that are fun - speed contests - using the skills of your studio. Make sure you really polish them.

Casual Games are an opportunity. Use a toolset like Flash or similar. Look what is selling - there seems to be a new genre every year. For example, Diner Dash had 25+ knockoffs made.

XBox Live Arcade is probably not an option any more - most require that you have a publisher now.

InstantAction.com is funding some titles.

VGChartz.com is a good research tool to see what people spent on dev & how much it has made.

Jay hosted a conference for indie MMO developers - there may be a business model with 20k to 50k subscribers. There may be hope for a niche MMO. The lowest budget MMO that he has seen lately has been $3 million.

John dM - if you are looking to raise money. Make your full time job raising the capital. Go to smaller investors - about $5k/$10k until you get $100k. And keep building up. If you need millions, you will have to approach venture capitalists.

The three roles that make or break a studio:
Good Game Designers
Good Art Director
Good Coders
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Please be praying for my wife - her health and she is home with both kids.

Seth Crofton's talk:
children's church market

Seth had a lot of resources.

Kidology.org = #1 children's ministry resource in the world.

He has tried many things -so contact him, especially if you are intersted in this market. For example, VBS is a good market - churches get them every year. The revenue may hit during the slower summer months (at least I see game sales drop off in summer).
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Tim and Rebecca, thanks so much for these notes -- I'm eating them up!
""

._Image
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Most of us are salivating over this new HeroEngine game engine for MMOs @_@ Too bad it costs millions of dollars (seriously) x_x
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Tim Reddington
How to Fund Missions via Entertainment

Tim has been to tons of countries

He originally found out about CGDC from Christian News Northwest newspaper.

They are fund-raising for an MMO. They do have some back-up plans.

He has four boys and he loves games. He played Dark Castle in his youth.

I missed most of his talk running around doing logistics.

He mentioned S. Korea has some great mission work going on. In 1990, he attended a church that had 1 million members. The one church building had 7 services plus it was being broadcast to other buildings. The strength of the church were cell groups. The person in a neighborhood area that took charge of local Bible studies. Each leader needs a coach AND a trainee under him.

Tim suggests setting up a cell. Identify a coach for each person. And a trainee.

Paul was a tentmaker. He didn't ask for money, he took his trade. Each of us have a trade, skills, and abilities.

Mission have been funded in the past by churches and groups, mostly from the USA. Foundations that give out money. Christian businessmen.

Tim is a member of Gideons - they give out Bibles.

He has set up Stewardship International. Dormant for the moment.

We may not have money but we have gifts. We all need to be good givers - good stewards.

His challenge to us:
If you are making any money, give at least 10% to church. If God blesses you, give half of your net proceeds.

LaTournau is a mechanical engineer with lots of inventions. The Lord blessed him so much, it was hard to give it away. He gave 95% of what he made.

Sites that track where your visitors come from:
ClustrMaps.com
amung.us
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm

QA: Wisdom or Waste?
Shem Bingman - is a QA Engineer

Shem shared some true horror stories.

Waterfall approach to getting in assets, then building, then testing, etc. - it may not be playable along the way.

There is a "V" approach modification of waterfall.

Others, RUP (good for >25 team size) and Agile Development (good for 5 to 15 team size).

Quality Assurance is misunderstood. What do you think of when I saw QA:
From audience -
Testing
Function Verification
Doesn't break itself/blow up
No Unintentional Errors

QA is never done

Some approaches to QA -
Scapegoat model - hire one qa, don't test it much, and ship. If it goes very badly, fire the scapegoat.

There are four distinct schools of QA - "follow the methodology" and it will work.

QA Tools are becoming a billion dollar:
IBM bought out Rational
HP Mercury Interactive
Oracle

Each has different philosphies and approach, but all cost a lot of money. $200k on the low end.

QA exists in the white space between several worlds - kind of like the apprentice engineer. Some of the roles a QA has:
Engineering
Project Manager
Represent the Customer - Business Analyst

Some functions QA people perform:
Training
Feedback Loop
Status Check
Reality Check
Build/Change Control Management
Defects
Tests

When does the engineer ask "Why is it important". Who is asking "Does the customer need that?" Etc.

Methods to use.
Have 2 pairs of eyes! Never write something, approve it, and ship it by itself - have someone else to look over it.
Build it (unit), Test (manually), Retest ... (automate it).
No Testing is better than poort testing.
Non Chaos/WaterFall Model
V Model (Modified waterfall)
Agile/XP
RUP
LEAN engineering
Tools
Homegrown
Big Company versions
Outsource
On-shore (third party compatibility QA companies)
Off-shore (24/7 model)
Continuous Integration server (anytime something is checked in - it makes a build) **
Regression tests (everytime you find a bug, write an automated test to check it, fix bug, verify with the test, add the test to your build script).
Load leveling (train team to help other teammates out)
Build Quality
FROM DAY ONE

Rule of thumb, you can only automate about 40% of the testing.

From audience - Makeworld was made to cheat at MMOs - but you can leverage that for testing.

macroexpress => macros.com

Tools we can avoid - look into open source,

for live body testing:
Have a good idea what your game should do (specs), do Continuous integration servers, let your testers function as user experience.
PFC

Postby PFC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:52 pm

I wish I was there! :(
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks for the notes. Oh, I miss everyone there.

cell - coach - trainee is a great way to grow any organization, even Christian Gaming.
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:29 pm

GraceWorks wrote:Casual Games are an opportunity. Use a toolset like Flash or similar. Look what is selling - there seems to be a new genre every year.

Casual game dev is right up my alley ;).

XBox Live Arcade is probably not an option any more - most require that you have a publisher now.

Microsoft requires you to have a publisher? That sounds... off. Though nothing (except true success) is possible for M$ :P.

The three roles that make or break a studio:
Good Game Designers
Good Art Director
Good Coders

Check, check, check. I think BGS will do just fine! :P

Thanks for the notes!
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Wow, after 10 hours of sleep I feel a tad more rejuvenated!

Rebecca is probably still travelling.

A rough total of the number of heads that were there would be around 55. I don't have the registration info so don't know 100% but that is probably close. Some folks could only attend one day.

Resoundingly though, everyone loved it [and yes we held our town hall to give people a chance to complain - mainly about me! :) ].

One quote - "I had a terrific time!"
Another - "I'll be back next year!"
others - "more workshops, hands-on types", "Get the date out sooner", etc.
Another - "I just want to express my appreciation for all the work you all put into pulling the conference together. It was an awesome experience and I look forward to contributing to help ease the
burden some way in the future."

Rebecca was going to capture the town hall notes on the gameace forum (http://gameace.org/wforum ).

God bless,
Tim
Last edited by GraceWorks on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lancaster

Postby David Lancaster » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:17 pm

It sounds really great Tim! Congrats on all you and the others hard work!

Return to “Other Discussions, Introducing Yourself and General”