Bugala´s SpeedGame Devblog

Moderator: samw3

bugala

Bugala´s SpeedGame Devblog

Postby bugala » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

I Admit, I already took a head start in my Speedgame entry.

It seems that what was originally my problem, might have become my strong point in this challenge.

For when i saw the Speedgame date, my first reaction was that there it went, couldnt have chosen worse timing.

For im leaving from home next sunday, and wont be back until one and half week later.

So this created me a problem. I would be having great difficulty making anything, due to being on the road so to say.

It also meant, that i wouldnt be able to make almost no graphics, since i have only got uised to making graphics with my trusty old Amiga 1200.

Same goes for the music.

I was thinking i cold still make the music when i come back home, but graphics... thas a problem. I need graphics already as early aspossible to be able to start programming properly.

But i remember a solution. I remembered how username Cammy mentioned in Amiworld.net Chat when we talked about difficulty in getting decent graphics, that She had this idea of using Digicam for graphics.

therefore i started thinking and the idea started forming. I could o around the city, take pictures, and make that game eyeview point n click game using digicam pics.

Especially since there even happens to be nice castle around there. Somaybe i can even use that.

Then came the day that HanClinto posted poll about possibl verses to use. At that point i got sneakpeak towards future and have started forming the story already.

I happened to be lucky, and there was this nice storm that wrecked places around here and there was this nice foggy weather the morning after. So i went there to take some pictures, and this serie of pictures is proapbly going to form the start of my game.

I have after that figured out the story of the game and some of the details even. Now oly thing that remains is to see which verses there comes to be picked to make the actual details of game and story. Of course, theres also still the part where i need to go around the ciy to find suitable places for the game, and also the part where i need to stop people at street and ask if they are willing to lend their face for my SpeedGame entry.

But anyway. Thanks to the bad timing, i now have great advantage.

I have story, the beginning, the middle, and the end. And i already even figured out the death scene and lots of other details on the game.

No code is existing yet, but i have given some thought to that alreaedy too.

now im just waiting for the few last minutes to go and see the Verses to finalize my plan (and hope it doesnt get ruined due to wrong picks).
bugala

Re: Bugala´s SpeedGame Devblog

Postby bugala » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Ah, i finally got all the necessary files transferred to my laptop.

Now i can finally concentrate on making something rather than worrying if dropbox transfers my stuff fast enough or not.

I also did first pieces of code already yesterday. I can get the inventory box come visible hen mouse is move to upborder of screen.

Every journey starts from first step. Be the step how small ever.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Bah! what a load of hours wasted here in this problem!

Good thing however is that i do have a solution for this problem, its just not very good, its limiting, and i dont get to use one of Hollywoods strong points if i do it the solution way.

Right now my biggest problem resides on GIMP2.6.

Problem is, that when i save my picture, Gimp changes the colors slightly. Slight change in colors wouldnt be such a big deal, but my system relies on ReadPixel(x,y) command to determine wether there is somethign or not. And now that Gimp instead of saving for example Red color as (255, 0, 0) it decides to save it as (254, 0, 0) Even worse, it saved my Blue and Green colors even worse way, it saved them in ay of (0, 255, 1) Adding that number 1 to just on one of the other colors.

I have this nice table system in Hollywood. For I dont necessarily have to use table[1], table[2], but instead of numbers, Hollywood can use anything.

So i was wanting to save those data on that specific colors stuff by using table[#FFFFFF] and so on.

That way i could have had unlimited amount of those color reaction areas as well as simply use:

Switch COLOR
Case #FFFFFF:
something
case #FF0000:
something

now it seems i need to put all the colors to downborder of my picture. First take the specific colors to know what im looking for in the picture later on, then check out every individual color with If statement.

So if i put 20 colors there, then first of all i am restricted to 20 react areas (which is more than enough) and secondly, it will always waste time checking though every color if color is this instead of simply switching to right color and doing what it has to do.

Lots of totally unnecessary lines.

Anyone know how to save pictures in Gimp favorably in Jpeg or some other low space format wihtout Gimp actually changing those colors during save?
christo

Postby christo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Maybe you need to check if anti-aliasing is turned on. That tends to mess up colors in the fashion you are describing. I use Paint.net which for some reason had this feature on by default(very annoying for pixel art), once I found out how to turn it off everything was OK.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 am

The problem is that JPEG is a lossy format. Perhaps some fuzzy logic will help. Instead of looking for the exact color, give it a threshold like +/-5. And instead of looking for single pixels, you could average pixels across a much larger square. Though I'm not sure what your images look like. Could you post an example? If they are simple enough, it might be easiest to just switch to PNG.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 am

I tried to save on PNG but that resulted in file over double the size compared to Jpeg. However, that might have been due to Jpeg changing colors all around the picture ( I just noticed).

Pictures are very simple in color wise.

I just figured out a sort of solution, i just dont know how to do that with GIMP.

for i think i could save for example as PNG image and make that picture be 32 colors only, even less if necessary.

For right now the current picture im trying to save has only 4 different colors in it.

Its supposed to react so that white area reacts to nothing, and then other 3 give different reactions.

Anyone know how to save in jpeg, Png or GIF in GIMP so that it would save it as for example 32 color picture? For that would be more than enough already for this. I think eevn 16 would be enough, and 7 might do as well.

Problem with my current saving (havent tried that Anti-Aliasing thing yet, thanks from that tip) is that even it had only 4 different colors, it started making much more between shades of those colors.
VisionaryCynic

Postby VisionaryCynic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:01 am

I'm not really a gimp expert but if you click on image->mode->indexed and change the maximum number of colors to 32 I think it will act how you want. I got a 640:480 png down to 400 bytes with four colors and no color change.
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks a Dozen VisionaryCynic, i dont think i had figured myself to watch that indexed thing at all, for it really didint say anything to me.

I made my own custom 21 color palette in there, and am now using png instead of JPG.

It seems JPG makes small sized pictures only when there are lots of colors. Now that i tried to get it to 21 colors only, it just kept making those blurry colors in between colors and rose the size to 75 Kb. With PNG, size was only something over 10 Kb.

Now i finally have something to show off.

I meant to be this far about 36 hours ago already, but got stuck to that Color problem.

But now that i finally got it solved, heres first thing to look at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/Speedgame2010pc.zip (PC-Version)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedgame2010mac.zip (Mac-Version, for HanClinto)

PC version you just unzip anywere you like and start that .exe file.
MAC-version proapbly wont work that simple. I dont think that "Pictures" folder is in right place right away. Just move that "pictures" folder to same folder as .exe resides, and i guess it works.

Let me know HanClinto if you try this what you needed to do to get it to work.

Theres not much in that.

Theres one picture, and if you move mouse around it will react to certain areas and show text. Clicking mouse is useless, i havent programmed that yet.

If you move mouse to topborder, it will open this inventory/options box (those boxes represent inventory and potions buttons, which are not there yet otherwise).

Program opens maximu sized window and scales pictures (well, the one) to right size. Picture itself is 1800x1200, so if you have FULL HD monitor, you can look it with that. But if you have just 800x600, its not problem either.

It works on window mode, so clicking on top and dragging you can drag the window around. However, if you move mouse outside of window, it will crash.

Just test and demonstration here. Nothing much yet.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:57 am

Uh..

Today i got my first somewhat big setback.

I had this plan about one thing that would be happening at evening/night time.

However, i just today found out that I am not able to get inside to that place to take the pictures at darker time at all.

Now i have to think what to do. Currently i see 5 options.

1. Change the plan
2. make it artifically darker by simply darkening the picture (would still make it look odd on places where sun and shadow meet)
3. Make it artificially darker by higher detail (takes long)
4. Let the sun shine and you use your imagination how it would look if it be night.
5. Make some excuse for the sunlight.

Due to time restriction and because i have good plan right now. I rather not take the option 1.

From artificial ones, i think that number 2 is an option, but due to my lack of experience in image manipulation, i think i better leave that number 3 out.

Option 4 is maybe not very nice, but i might take it too.

For option 5 If i just can figure out some excuse, this would be perfect solution. although it still wouldnt help saving the atmosphere and feeling that i was expecting from the whole thing.

Hmm..

If tomorrow or day after sky would be full of dark clouds i could maybe get them dark enough.

That could be working solution.

But ohterwise things look quite good. Unfortunately i do have had to abandon quite many of my original ideas due to having hard time getting them done. Like one of the things was that i was hoping to have above picture from where you can choose where to go, but unfortunately none of the high places were fit for that, i cant use copyrighted material (ie. maps) and google maps just wont be the same (plus copyright on that is untested), so i had to figure alternative ways.

I did consider renting a helicopter to get that done. But its maybe bit too expensive, plus, i dont know where to rent one (although i guess i could find from internet)
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:31 pm

bugala wrote:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedgame2010mac.zip (Mac-Version, for HanClinto)

PC version you just unzip anywere you like and start that .exe file.
MAC-version proapbly wont work that simple. I dont think that "Pictures" folder is in right place right away. Just move that "pictures" folder to same folder as .exe resides, and i guess it works.

Let me know HanClinto if you try this what you needed to do to get it to work.

Thanks for bundling a Mac executable for me (and the other Mac users)!

I downloaded it and gave it a shot -- I got the following error message:

Code: Select all

Cannot read file strangestructure1-1800x1200.jpg !
File: main.hws (current line: 28 - In function:
LoadBGPic)

Maybe that means something to you.
""

._Image
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 am

@HanClinto

did you try moving pictures folder to same directory as .exe file is?

for its looking for that picture from "pictures/picturesname.jpg"

and thanks from telling me, since i dont have access to Mac i cant check myself anything about that, and i have never used Mac either, so i dont really know much about it.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Today, was somewhat good day.

Sky was cloudy and dark enough, that i got the night picture kind of things from the place i cant get at night at least somewhat aceptable. Its still far from the feel it had been if i had been able to get at night, but at least you dont need t ostretch your imagination too much anymore, although it still is very disappointing compared to waht it could have been.

Another set back is also at air now.

I meant to have 7 characters to talk with in the game, but so far i have only got 2 people to be willing to be those.

I dont know yet what to do. I propably cut down the amount of characters and dress myself different ways for couple fo characters.

Not good option, but at least it gets done somehow then.

Especially I am disappointed that i already got from couple of people such a good pictures for the background, and then when i went to ask them, they all refused.

Now it wont look natural anymore and i have to change coupole of characters to different and all characters will look exactly as they are, pictured elsewhere and cut with hurry from the background and moved to the background they are needed at.

Seems this game might have lots of "imagine what it could have been" in it.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:47 pm

So i had only 2 characters from 7 planned. And even other one of those two would be needed to be cut out from the original image and placed to right image.

I went on to take last pictures i could in a hurry and asked people if they would be willing to be game character.

I asked maybe 20 people and they all refused, but at least one guy had wanted to become game character but he was wearing work clothes, so he couldnt do it without permission.

However, after asking al those maybe 20 people, i got bit depressed and was about to give up.

however, in my mind i lazily and weakly asked God to give me people for this.

After that, basically next 3 guys i went to ask all were happy to participate.

Actually the first one i asked refused, but he made his woman companion to participate. (I had actually ratherr took that guy, since he was more interesting looking, plus, i have more male voices than woman voices available).

Interesting was also this third guy. I had in advance thought couple of small business owners that i visit often and thought they might like to participate in this. But when i went to ask them, they all refused. Except one Game Shop owner wasnt there when i went there.

So i went to this last place in my list, I was outside the store and thought, i should now take the photo from outside... but why bother, he will refuse anyway. I first go inside and then if he happens to agree, i take that outisde picture.

I go in, ask the guy. And hes thrilled about the idea right away!

Theres just one problem. I leave the place in hurry (I was about to leave home) and i forgot to take that outside picture!

Ah blasted! However, i figure out a plan. When i leave the town, i can choose to use road that goes pass by that firm, and i take the picture from moving car!

Plan works otherwise fine, but i should have slowed down more. Im not yet sure if that picture is usable at all. Since you can see it was taken from moving car.

Due to time limit I also am now in another problem too. For i couldnt take other pictures from same places at later point, when those people hadnt been on their places anymore.

Original plan was, that when you talk to them, they might move away for good. Now i have to figure out some alternative.

But good thing is anyway that i now have 5 characters there. Although i hoped for 7, i can live with 5. Especially now that it seems im starting to run out of time, it actually helps.

Besides, 5 is number of Grace (as in mercy).

I wass hoping to have more item puzzles in the game too, but due to time restriction i had there on taking pictures (that i had to take some in last day) and the limited control to environment, i was able to figure out and get pictures of only couple of items that are pickable.

But on the other hand, if characters drop to 5 as well, then it balances the lack of puzzle items a bit too.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Did some pixel art for speedgame after a long long time again:

Im actually quiite happy, for those turned out quite well. Much better than i expected.

For i didnt really feel like home when i was drawing them and while coloring was sometimes wondering where should i put the next color now? But all in all, I think they turned out pretty nicely.

Now i have Basic pointer arrow, Look at, Take, Search and Go to arrows.

hmm.. Just realised im still missing Talk to.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Looks great!
""

._Image
Lava

Postby Lava » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm liking the interface-- it reminds me of one from the classic point and click adventure games.

I played your prototype and it seemed pretty cool-- I like the smooth drop down menu. :mrgreen:
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Im abandoning some of the most interesting things from my game.

Time, Money and need to eat.

Right now I am aiming this game to be at least completeable.

If i have time left after that (if i even get there) i will then look into iomplementing time at least in some clumsy way.

I am also hoping to have at least beginning of the game voice acted to demonstrate what this could have been.

Even just one more day would make such a difference.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 pm

bugala, you are now officially a speedgamer ;)
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Taking a slight brake now. I just got all the locations pictures finally fixed to condition that they all have their hotspots in place.

Now comes the next big batch of typing data to each locations hotspots...

I have dropped couple of more things from the engine/game.

I originally hoped that when you pick an item it gets removed from screen, and same to some characters that if you blew talking with them, they gone from screen.
Also hoped to have some doors opening and one box too.

However, due to time getting too short. None of the items will get removed from screen.

Same with all the characters.

I better save time by not implementing that system, since its not totally necessary and im having trouble even getting game finished.

Good thing however is, that i do believe I am going to get game completeable. Just not sure if there will be things in game that will crash the game or perhaps there be items unaccessible due to time limit.

Have to satisfy just for the essentials.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Just relaisd i dont even have a name for my game yet.

Well, time to get on putting data, i can leave it even nameless to save some time if needed.

Return to “Old SpeedGame Discussion”