New to making games

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

MyKingisJesus

New to making games

Postby MyKingisJesus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Hey I was wondering what is a good place to start with creating a new game (I'm new this), I have two Ideas one a RTS and one a series of Action/RPG games, in which I'm working on the storyline on. Right now I'm trying to make a human head in Wings 3ds. I have Unity but not that many assets. But I was wondering where some good places to begin.
"For he will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5b
andygeers

Re: New to making games

Postby andygeers » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 am

Hi there,

It's great to have big ideas for ambitious games, but the secret to actually achieving those dreams is to put them to one side for now and instead focus on very small, finishable projects whilst you learn the skills and refine your skills. Then, when you have a track record and people know you by reputation, you'll have a better chance of recruiting the team you'll need to pull off a large project.

These days there's loads of good options for games programming that are very affordable. Check out the Unity3D engine if you've not come across it already.
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:23 am

I agree with andygeers about starting small and working your way to bigger projects. Having a cool idea is great, but it takes a lot of work and time to turn that idea into a working game that's fun to play. Unity is good, and you can also check out Game Maker, Construct 2, or RPG Maker.
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

Also, if you haven't been to Unity's asset store, there's a bunch of assets for free or for sale. here's the link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Try to focus on building insanely fun gameplay mechanics. Making games starts with design, and the best design imo is done on the fly - scripting up some unusual mechanic that forms the core experience.

For implementation...a little skill in all (well, most) areas goes a long way.
MyKingisJesus

Postby MyKingisJesus » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 pm

I looking in on how to use unity. For now I'm trying to look for work and write the story line to one of the games. But I have been modeling stuff for now. So I hope to learn more, so it will be a while before I can really do anything. LOL But I will be looking into making smaller test games.
"For he will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5b